Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:52 PM
Italy, Toscana, Orbetello
Joined Mar 2012
326 Posts
Hi everybody.
I'm buying a used 106b Plus; the owner told me that he'll sell it at a low price because there's a problem: the battery charger normally switch on and start to charge but after 3-5 minutes it switches off itselves and then auto re-switch on.
I was reading something about a firmware upgrade that could solve this problem but I'm not sure 100%.
First question: is this a problem that is possbile to solve with a firmware upgrade?
Second: are all the 106b Plus upgradable?

Thanks everybody for the answers.
Ricky971 is offline Find More Posts by Ricky971
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:51 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky971 View Post
the battery charger normally switch on and start to charge but after 3-5 minutes it switches off itselves and then auto re-switch on.
You can try to upgrade to the latest V3.14 check if it can solve your problem, and let us know the result, thanks.

Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:16 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Hi everybody.
I'm buying a used 106b Plus; the owner told me that he'll sell it at a low price because there's a problem: the battery charger normally switch on and start to charge but after 3-5 minutes it switches off itselves and then auto re-switch on.
It's probably unrelated. But I've had this problem when using a 15V, 6A (90W) laptop power supply to power my charger (happens to be a 106B+, but would apply to anything). The power supply claims it can put out 6A.

But if I draw too much during a charge, like 5A, I can feel the power supply warming up, and the supply will eventually shut itself down, then turn on again, likely due to over-temperature protection.

When it does, I get the symptom you describe, the charger shuts off in the middle of a charge, then turns back on.

I can avoid this by reducing my charge rate so I don't overwhelm the supply. Or I run it off my big power supply

If the seller's power supply is up to the task, then it's probably not this. But I just figured I would mention it, as I can trigger the same symptoms.
RedOctobyr is online now Find More Posts by RedOctobyr
Last edited by RedOctobyr; Feb 01, 2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:54 PM
Joined Mar 2012
326 Posts
Thanks for answers!
Effectively, the owner uses a PSU Imax 401, that's a laptop power supply with 12V-5A output.
I'm just afraid that I'll buy this used charger for a (low) price but I won't be able to solve this problem.
I've just to decide if to buy it at a good price or to renounce at the "business" because it's not sure 100% that this problem can be solved with a firmware upgrade or changing the power supply.
The fact that it switches on is a good point of start, but maybe it's better to spend more money and to buy another one...
Help me to decide with Your experience, please!
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:28 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,317 Posts
Buy quality.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:46 PM
Joined Mar 2012
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi View Post
You can try to upgrade to the latest V3.14 check if it can solve your problem, and let us know the result, thanks.

Junsi
Thanks for Your suggestion.
You're the iCharger's farm owner, isn't it? What do You think about it?
Get the risk or change target?
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
Buy quality.
So, Your opinion is that I'd have to renounce to this one?
Me too I'm slowly going in this direction...
The price was very good, but if it's broken is money in the garbage.
And this is not the right period to do these things...
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:15 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,154 Posts
FWIW, that is basically a smaller version of my laptop power supply. With the same symptoms as when I overdraw mine. That one is 60W vs my 90W. It doors not take much of a charge to exceed that.

Mine will reset when I overdraw my laptop supply. But will hammer along at 10A, 250W when I run off my 500W power supply.

The owner may simply be asking to much of the supply. Charge slower, or buy/build a better supply, and you *could* be fine.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:01 PM
Joined Mar 2012
326 Posts
Thanks, this is a positive point.
Whch kind of USB cable can I use to connect it to the PC?
The owner doesn't have it.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:49 PM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
I'm using iCharger206 with solar panels. It works surprisingly well with variable input voltage. Not ideal of course, because iCharger doesn't have MPPT (maximum power point tracking) function. But it has input voltage cutoff setting in Settings menu, so I can choose correct input voltage myself prior Pb battery charging.
If I put (in Settings menu) for example 16V for input then iCharger holds this voltage very strictly and adjusts charging current itself. If I put 10A for example, then charger outputs only 4A. More sun, more current.
Very cool feature I guess it makes iCharger superior to most PWM solar chargers.

My "wishlist" for future firmware change would be:
1. Possibility to change input voltage cutoff during charging. Now I must stop the charge, change input voltage cutoff and then start charge again.
2. Option for Ni-Zn charging.
3. Option for balance discharging NiMH/NiCd batteries. iCharger stops discharing when first battery reaches it's minimum (0,9V or so).
sebes is offline Find More Posts by sebes
Last edited by sebes; Feb 02, 2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:10 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, this is a positive point.
Whch kind of USB cable can I use to connect it to the PC?
The owner doesn't have it.
You need a special UNgrounded USB cable. See these posts, for instance:

A post by junsi:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2167

Another thread worth reading:
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=363689

I don't know where you get another one, unfortunately. Perhaps you could somehow modify a normal USB cable to behave this way?
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:44 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,893 Posts
No need to modify a cable. Simply use a 3S lipoly that is at least 1/2 charged to power the charger during firmware update to avoid any possible ground loop. I use a battery to power my charger during upgrade even when using the modified cable.

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:13 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,154 Posts
Oh, that's a good idea, and pretty straightforward.

I was thinking about when connecting to a PC, for logging data during a charge/discharge.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:31 PM
Joined Dec 2010
152 Posts
lipo storage voltage

i just got the 306b and a paraboard. i've noticed that when using the storage lipo setting it only drops the voltage to 3.9 volts per cell. my other chargers dropped my lipos to 3.8 volts per cell. can this be adjusted?
i was also wondering if it's ok to try and use the storage mode with the paraboard to drop several lipos to storage voltage at the same time?
thanks for any info or tips
k.t.
kevinjulieevan is online now Find More Posts by kevinjulieevan
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kevinjulieevan; Feb 02, 2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:13 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjulieevan View Post
i just got the 306b and a paraboard. i've noticed that when using the storage lipo setting it only drops the voltage to 3.9 volts per cell. my other chargers dropped my lipos to 3.8 volts per cell. can this be adjusted?
i was also wondering if it's ok to try and use the storage mode with the paraboard to drop several lipos to storage voltage at the same time?
thanks for any info or tips
k.t.
Set your parameter for discharge reduce to "ON" and a value of 10%
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR