HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:36 AM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Thanks Fred, I think I'll go with a 7s pack that has the single balancing lead, less complication it seems.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:58 AM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Anyway it's important to get the correct sequence, or cells will be shorted.
That is exactly why a newbie should NOT be plugging in multiple plugs into the charger.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:05 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post
That is exactly why a newbie should NOT be plugging in multiple plugs into the charger.
Or better yet, why this forum is a great place to ask questions, even some that might seem very obvious and asked by someone who has operated his iCharger flawlessly for 3 years, been flying electric for 6, and in the Hobby for 20 years.

Bottomline, it sounds like I can use the balancing port plug in on the side to charge a 7s pack with a single balancing lead. Case closed.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Apr 2005
35 Posts
106B+ balance ports don't work

There must be a balance board problem as I conclude from other discussions.
So this is the end of my iCharger and now I must look for a more reliable replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritongr View Post
Hello
In my 2 years old 106B+:
Suddenly whenever I plug any 3-cell lipo it shows up only the third cell as ~0,66. If I plug any 6-cell lipo shows only the last two as 1,06 and 3,121.
All the batteries appear correct in the portable hyperion checker.
Is that an internal problem of the charger?
Thx
tritongr is offline Find More Posts by tritongr
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:33 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,081 Posts
Quote:
Suddenly whenever I plug any 3-cell lipo it shows up only the third cell as ~0,66. If I plug any 6-cell lipo shows only the last two as 1,06 and 3,121.

Hello tritongr,

Please check your problem first according to the file bal err, thanks.

Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:43 PM
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Certified Mobile Power Pack with 306B?

I've picked up this Certified Mobile Power Pack to do field charging of lipos via my iCharger 306B.

The device offers car charge clamps and a female cigarette lighter output. Can I just clamp my 306B input leads onto the Mobile Power Pack clamp leads? Or will the JumpStarter fry the iCharger if I try to run it directly off of the jumper cables?

Thanks!
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:17 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,881 Posts
What size of packs (cell count, capacity) do you plan to charge? Given that the battery in most power packs is really small and not designed for deep discharge, they're borderline useless for powering a charger, unless charging very tiny packs.

That said, feel free to clamp directly to the power pack clamp leads. Connecting in this fashion will result in the lowest voltage drop and produce the best (albeit marginal) results.

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
I'm running this power pack It's rated at a theoretical 7amp hours capacity @ 12v.

I've only tried it once so far, and manged to put 3200mah back into two sets of lipo packs with Logview charts showing nominal performance (indistinguishable from performance when fed by high capacity plug in power supply. The pack still showed "two bars", which would be consistent with the advertised capacity. I'd like to be able to coax 5000mah out of it -- time will tell!

Thanks for the advice on getting maximum bang for the buck via the main clamps!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:03 PM
Joined Apr 2005
35 Posts
Quote:
Hello
Suddenly whenever I plug any 3-cell lipo it shows up only the third cell as ~0,66.

If I plug any 6-cell lipo shows only the last two as 1,06 and 3,121.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi View Post
Hello tritongr,

Please check your problem first according to the file Attachment 5329541, thanks.

Junsi
Ok problems solved by properly wire soldering as described in this .pdf.

Thanks
tritongr is offline Find More Posts by tritongr
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:46 AM
United States, VA, Berryville
Joined May 2010
363 Posts
Getting into my frist 60cc gas and was planing on using LiIo for electrics. will my 306b work? been using Lipos over 3yrs but LiIo and A123 are new to me. Thanks Kelly
kellyzo6 is offline Find More Posts by kellyzo6
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:57 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
I've picked up this Certified Mobile Power Pack to do field charging of lipos via my iCharger 306B.

The device offers car charge clamps and a female cigarette lighter output. Can I just clamp my 306B input leads onto the Mobile Power Pack clamp leads? Or will the JumpStarter fry the iCharger if I try to run it directly off of the jumper cables?

Thanks!
I wouldn't see how it could possibly fry your charger. It doesn't provide a burst of voltage or anything fancy like that. There may be capacitors in there to help provide the burst of amps to start the car. That said you'll probably find that power pack to be pretty useless. It's only a 7Ah 12v battery in there. It's no different from one of these:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL370&P=0

And may even be of lower quality because they only expect you to use it for a short burst. It won't take deep discharges well so you definitely don't want to discharge past 50%. So you've got 12v 4.5Ah to work with roughly. You can recharge two 3s 2200mah batteries at most before you need to be done, that's it.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:57 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyzo6 View Post
Getting into my frist 60cc gas and was planing on using LiIo for electrics. will my 306b work? been using Lipos over 3yrs but LiIo and A123 are new to me. Thanks Kelly
Yes 306B will charge LiIo and LiFe . You can download manual here

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13542082030342
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:06 AM
Waterloo, Belgium
Joined Dec 2004
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyzo6 View Post
I use regularly a 3010b for up to 12s2p a123 at 20 amps.
There are two 65Ah batteries in the car to provide power.
Charge in 15 min without balancing.
The pack is not removed from the plane.
ramboman is offline Find More Posts by ramboman
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:18 AM
United States, VA, Berryville
Joined May 2010
363 Posts
Thank you.
kellyzo6 is offline Find More Posts by kellyzo6
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
I wouldn't see how it could possibly fry your charger. It doesn't provide a burst of voltage or anything fancy like that. There may be capacitors in there to help provide the burst of amps to start the car. That said you'll probably find that power pack to be pretty useless. It's only a 7Ah 12v battery in there. It's no different from one of these:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL370&P=0

And may even be of lower quality because they only expect you to use it for a short burst. It won't take deep discharges well so you definitely don't want to discharge past 50%. So you've got 12v 4.5Ah to work with roughly. You can recharge two 3s 2200mah batteries at most before you need to be done, that's it.
Thanks for the info! The serious looking car clamps and nice spark it gives off. On the useless front, my maximum expected loads for present purposes will include: 2 x 2200mah 3S, or 3 x 1300mah 3S. The pack should be good for this load. Whether it will wear out quickly remains to be seen.

Also, the device is marketed as a steady state power supply via a built in cigarette lighter which will supply 12V @ up to 7amps draw. This would suggest that the device is intended to support steady draw applications. Maybe it has multiple internal circuits, with the cigarette lighter adapater providing better resilience. This too remains to be seen. It's a house brand of a top grade chain, so I'm hopeful that its de facto spec will be robust. Time will tell.

I'm going to follow your suggestion of keeping draw down to 50%. 2 x 2200mah 3S charged up from 20% would be almost exactly 3.5ah, which would come right in at 50% of the pack.

Thanks!