HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:56 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
The bottom line (for Codi) is that the i-charger just cannot balance an imbalanced pack without charging it. Even if charging it then in order to deal with such a bad imbalance then the rate needs to be set very low(slow)

One of my complaints about it is that it cannot just "balance" , but apparently that new bigger dual one can.

A tool to consider is an old stand-alone "balancer" I like the digital ones , but they're dog slow. I still like to abide by this rule when hooking series cells/packs together: All cells must require the same amount of capacity. Even though there are boards/connectors,ect. available to hook them up, to force any charger/balancer to deal with this is really asking it to do something it wasn't designed to do.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:32 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,562 Posts
Quote:
Yes I agree. In my case the aim to have all cells at 3,85V is further parallel connection and charging multiple packs in the same time.

Still does not matter. Connect the LiPolys in parallel with some cells at 3.7 some at 3.8 some at 3.9 and charge away,they will be fine.

Here is the link again which I posted earlier

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=balanc

Out of balance cells become balanced while being charged , very often even if balancing is not active.

Having all of the cells ar exactly the same volrage when discharged can infact require addational balancing during the charge.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:44 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
But only if they were balanced before they were discharged. I think that Codi plugged a number of packs together in series (that were not used in series)

I thought we were talking about series cells.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:03 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulio View Post
But only if they were balanced before they were discharged. I think that Codi plugged a number of packs together in series (that were not used in series)

To me, it sounds like he charges them in parallel, use them individually, then storage-charge them in series. Doing the last part with balancing can take some time, unless the balancer have a high discharge rate, compared to the cell capacity.
If balance-charged, used and then storage-charged one at a time, they should be more than close enough for the next balance-charge. But I assume he wants to avoid the one at a time part .

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:23 AM
Joined Oct 2007
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=balanc

Out of balance cells become balanced while being charged , very often even if balancing is not active.
Yes Charles, your explanation, graphs shows very clearly when balancing should take a place (and where it is not needed). I agree it makes no sense during discharging for single pack. Thank you for above link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulio View Post
As Gulio pointed, what I’m trying to do is balance at one time 3 different packs (same capacity, different charge sate), to one known state.
Later at one time, I want charge them parallel. In order to do so I was thinking I must have all 3 packs at the same state (lets say after STO mode) to avoid uncontrolled current during putting packs together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Connect the LiPolys in parallel with some cells at 3.7 some at 3.8 some at 3.9 and charge away,they will be fine
That is/was my bigger concern. If some cells are 3,7 some 3,9 or 4 what would be balance current when I connect them together?
Is it healthy for cells?
I was assuming current will be limited only by internal resistance of cells, but now I’m not really sure…

Julez in the thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932319

as a one of condition to parallel charging pointed out:
“…
-When the pack's state of charge is nearly identical
-When the packs have slightly different states of charge (<30% difference to each other, to be safe)
…”

Now I’m confused, should I “balance” packs before parallel charge or not really…
CodiJack is offline Find More Posts by CodiJack
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:56 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,430 Posts
The only time they need to be balanced is when fully charged. It makes no difference to the cells if they are not balanced when stored.
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX7 Programing - Ultimate...
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:39 AM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Any suggestions for the issue I'm having with the "bal error" message I'm getting?
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:15 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
Any suggestions for the issue I'm having with the "bal error" message I'm getting?
If using balance/parallel board try different board/wires. If possible try battery on a different charger. Have you verified with a Cell Meter that all cells can be read through the balance wire and that they are all within acceptable limits? Majority of the time the issue is not with the charger but with the items connected to the charger.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:20 PM
Germany, 300 meters from the Netherlands
Joined Sep 2010
61 Posts
Hello i have a little problem with my new 3010B,

When i want too charge a 8S lipo ( 2 x 4S ) in balance mode i get the error OVER VOLTAGE.
I have done the balance plug from the Lipo 1 ( negative wire ) in the minus from the balance board (4S ) and the balance plug from lipo 2 ( positive wire ) in the other socket of the balance board. The other positive wire ( lipo 1 ) connected too the negative wire
( lipo 2 )

What am i doing wrong ?

Gr Frank
silva916 is offline Find More Posts by silva916
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:39 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva916 View Post
I have done the balance plug from the Lipo 1 ( negative wire ) in the minus from the balance board (4S ) and the balance plug from lipo 2 ( positive wire ) in the other socket of the balance board.
Can you take a picture of this?

IMO, attempting to charge discrete lipolys in series is a bad idea and peril lurks at every corner. There's only one way to get it right and a multitude of ways to get it wrong, all of which generally damages something.

Charging in parallel is much easier, safer, and is usually much faster.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:50 PM
Germany, 300 meters from the Netherlands
Joined Sep 2010
61 Posts
Hello Mark,

I`m not able now to make a picture of the setup, but can you ( or someone els ) tell
me the right way to charge a 8S lipo ( 2x 4S ) with the 3010B ?
Like first you do A then B etc....

Gr Frank
silva916 is offline Find More Posts by silva916
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:01 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,895 Posts
Series connections for balance taps are shown pictorially here: http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/lipo.html.

See below photo for two 3S packs in series. Simply add a cell to each pack to get two 4S in series.

As stated above, it would be much wiser to connect them in parallel to avoid potential issues of series connections.

Read more about parallel charging here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932319

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:29 PM
United States, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Sep 2011
268 Posts
I don't get the need to charge in series. Isn't it easy enough to plug in parallel? Seems a lot more idiot proof. What am I missing?
seattlebuoy is offline Find More Posts by seattlebuoy
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:32 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlebuoy View Post
I don't get the need to charge in series. Isn't it easy enough to plug in parallel? Seems a lot more idiot proof. What am I missing?
You got it.
+1
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:38 PM
United States, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Sep 2011
268 Posts
Parallel power cabling is oh $5 or so if one does not want a parallel board. $$ isn't a barrier.
seattlebuoy is offline Find More Posts by seattlebuoy