HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:14 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
I'm also having issues with my balance port. Mines continues to give a "balance error" when plugged in. The charger works fine otherwise.

I opened up the charger, but I couldnt remove the lower cover because of the thermal paste on a component down there. Didnt want to pull too hard. However, from the top the board looked ok and the balance board is fine.

any other ideas?
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:25 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,860 Posts
On my unit there are thermal "sticker" like things that contact what looks to be FET transistors to the case to dissipate heat. They're not actually stickers, though, so they didn't do damage when I took them apart.

Supremely annoying, and if it's a common issue then I'm not buying or recommending another iCharger again. Time to check out those revoelectrix stuff... at least the company is based here, where I live!
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:32 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
I"m very happy with mine otherwise. I've had it for many many years (probably since the first came out). This is the first time its had issues..
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:02 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,860 Posts
Ah OK. So maybe mine is not a common issue. I've only had mine for a month I think... it's so new, it's still shiny.

I'll wait to see if anyone else or iCharger themselves reply.
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:28 AM
Joined Oct 2007
18 Posts
STO mode - how does it work?

I have found something strange (at least to me) while using STORAGE mode in my 206B.
I connect 6s 500mAh pack which has 2 cells overcharged compared to the rest
(3.8V 3.8V 3.8V 3.7V 4V 3.9V), want to balance pack and my 206B CAN’T do it!
Regardless what current I set for storage mode and how do I set balancer (even if balancer is always activated), last 2 cells remains with too high voltage.
When I use balance charge for this pack, I noticed that balancer works, trying to compensate to high voltage on last cells.

What might be a reason for that?
Do I need set something for STO mode in order to balance such pack?
Did anybody of you experience similar issue?
CodiJack is offline Find More Posts by CodiJack
Last edited by CodiJack; Nov 03, 2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:20 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodiJack View Post
Regardless what current I set for storage mode and how do I set balancer (even if balancer is always activated), last 2 cells remains with too high voltage.
The charger only balances during a balance charge. The term "always" means "during the whole charge process". There is no need to have same voltage on all cells at storage level. However, if you have a pack that is balanced when fully charged, they should be pretty close after a discharge to storage, assuming the pack is healthy.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:43 AM
Joined Oct 2007
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
... However, if you have a pack that is balanced when fully charged, they should be pretty close after a discharge to storage, assuming the pack is healthy...
Above assumption is right if entire pack is matched…

As I charge packs parallel, such unbalance after STO mode is confusing to me
Below there is procedure how I process when want to charge parallel packs:
1. Store all of them after STO mode with known voltage (3.85V per cell)
2. Connect parallel -> as voltage is equal on each cell connection is safe
3. Charge
I do it with my Accucell (it balance also during STO mode) and it works excellent.
Now it seems I need to find out how to match cell in 6s packs with iCharger without charging...
Any idea?
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:36 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,736 Posts
Quote:
and to many others however as well.

If your other charger has the same LiPolys perfectly balanced at Storgae then either it is balancing during discharge ( Not Good) , the LiPolys which are balanced at Storage are different ones and their cells are perfectly ,matched or at least matched bery well.

For the past 6 years or so since I started recomending 3.85 per cell as the optimum Storage Voltage many have worried about cells at 3.7 ,3.8.3.9 etc. It does not matter.

Storage between 3.7 and 4.0 is fine. I choose 3.85 as it is the mid point of this range.

If the cells are not exactly matched capacity wise and the charger balances during discharging it will just make it more difficult to balance correctly during charging to 4.2.

If you spend some time reading and studing the graphs here then the reason for unbalnced cells at different states of charge will be clearer and perhaps it will explain why discharged to storage or below cells should not be Forced into balance.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=balanc
Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Nov 03, 2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:47 AM
Hamburger
Joined Jan 2010
834 Posts
with my 206B, when charging small lipos (2S, 450mAh), the display of input voltage shows 24,35 Volts, which is probably correct but an input current of 0.00 Amperes which cannot be true.

With bigger lipos and higher currents (above 1A?) the displayed input current seems to be correct again.

Is this normal?
hamburger is offline Find More Posts by hamburger
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:49 AM
Poland
Joined Nov 2010
462 Posts
Quote:
want to balance pack and my 206B CAN’T do it!
Yes, it can ;-)
When I need to balance for some reason a discharged LiPo at storage level I use LiFe balance charge with termination set at 3.85 V.
LeszekJ is offline Find More Posts by LeszekJ
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:23 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,308 Posts
Quote:
Above assumption is right if entire pack is matched…

If you balance charge packs, and the result is 3.8V 3.8V 3.8V 3.7V 4V 3.9V after a storage charge, the pack is so badly matched that it's probably not worth using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
with my 206B, when charging small lipos (2S, 450mAh), the display of input voltage shows 24,35 Volts, which is probably correct but an input current of 0.00 Amperes which cannot be true.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11828

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Last edited by flarssen; Nov 03, 2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined Oct 2007
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
If you balance charge packs, and the result is 3.8V 3.8V 3.8V 3.7V 4V 3.9V after a storage charge, the pack is so badly matched that it's probably not worth using.
Yes, if we are talking about single pack, you are right.
I'll explain the issue in another way
Mentioned 6s I did for DIY LED project (3x2s) but for daily usage I fly with 2s and 3s.
After flights, all packs I stored at 3,85V using STO mode in Accucell.
In order to shorten time I connected them in series up to 6s -> 3x2s or 2x3s
and as a result all cells regardless their initial state are 3,85V.
If after few weeks I find some time in the afternoon for flying, I need to charge them very quickly - so as all of cells in all packs are 3,85V - I just connect them parallel and after 30 min, I go to my airfield with 3 fully charged 2s packs.
That how it works with Accucel, buying more advance iCharger (besides a lot of other nice figures in 206B) I was thinking to do the same with 206B.

It looks so simple (above) with cheap charger and it's hard to me believe that such "machine" like iChrger can't offer balancing during Storage mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeszekJ View Post
Yes, it can ;-)
When I need to balance for some reason a discharged LiPo at storage level I use LiFe balance charge with termination set at 3.85 V.
I also tried it but if one cell is >3,85V process terminates immediately with: "Bal. Over"

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
and to many others however as well.
For the past 6 years or so since I started recommending 3.85 per cell as the optimum Storage Voltage many have worried about cells at 3.7 ,3.8.3.9 etc. It does not matter.
Yes I agree. In my case the aim to have all cells at 3,85V is further parallel connection and charging multiple packs in the same time.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:48 AM
Hamburger
Joined Jan 2010
834 Posts
Thanks Fred
I obviously missed that when searching.
Glad for the explanation and clearance.
hamburger is offline Find More Posts by hamburger
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:49 PM
Poland
Joined Nov 2010
462 Posts
Quote:
I also tried it but if one cell is >3,85V process terminates immediately with: "Bal. Over"
I see. You want to get an autonomous balance storage function. No way.
If I were in need I'd discharge it below 3.85, then LIFe balance charge.
LeszekJ is offline Find More Posts by LeszekJ
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:38 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,039 Posts
Note that this will require adjustment of LiFe termination voltage. If left at default 3.6 volts, the charger will error with OV fault if attempting to charge when any cells are above 3.6 volts at charge initiation.

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member