HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:40 PM
Canada, ON, Waterloo
Joined Sep 2008
222 Posts
Lipo Charge/Discharge Cycle current

Is there a way to set the charge current for the LiXX CYCLE program before it is started? (iCharger 206B)

I know that you can set it during the cycle. When the charge portion of the program started, it used 0.60A. I was able to change it to 2.2A for a 2200mah battery. However, during the next cycle, it reverted back to 0.60A.

The LiXX BALANCE CHG, LiXX CHARGE and LiXX FAST CHARGE programs allow you to set the charge current before starting, but not the CYCLE program.

Any ideas?

Thanks
tonyyng is offline Find More Posts by tonyyng
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:39 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyyng View Post
Is there a way to set the charge current for the LiXX CYCLE program before it is started? (iCharger 206B)
It will use the settings done in charge and discharge mode. That's one of the drawbacks of these chargers.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7507

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Last edited by flarssen; Oct 27, 2012 at 03:11 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:23 AM
Canada, ON, Waterloo
Joined Sep 2008
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
It will use the settings done in charge and discharge mode. That's one of the drawbacks of these chargers.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7507

Fred
Okay, I can live with that. Thanks
tonyyng is offline Find More Posts by tonyyng
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:03 AM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,230 Posts
I just tried the External Discharge ("Discharge+") function of my 106B+. I am trying to use it to bring down some 6S LiPos.

I used the spreadsheet at the beginning of this thread, which was a godsend (thank you Truglodite!). I selected 106B+, which selected a max internal discharge limit of 20W.

I bought a pair of 2 ohm, 100W-rated power resistors. I soldered them in series, they measure 4.2 ohms together. I entered that into the spreadsheet in the Resistor Analysis sheet, along with the effective IR of my packs when connected in parallel (~4mOhms/cell). I have the resistors in series on the red wire, between my parallel board and the charger.

For 6S, the spreadsheet tells me the safe current range is 5.1-5.9A. Below 5.1A, the Internal power goes too high, >20W.

I set it to 5.5A and ran it as Discharge+. But the highest current I ever saw was 4.4A, and it dropped slowly during the discharge as the packs' voltage dropped, I saw 3.9A at one point.

Is this a problem? According to the spreadsheet, below 5A, the Internal Power is >20W, so I presume I could be damaging/cooking the charger. Any thoughts on why I'm not seeing the 5.5A that I set it for?

This is a great feature, I just want to make sure I'm using it correctly/safely. Thanks.
RedOctobyr is online now Find More Posts by RedOctobyr
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:32 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,898 Posts
Well I think you are OK, that all looks good to me. If you had tried the internal discharge option, the charger would not discharge over a 1 ampere rate. Plus the charger would have taken a very long time and have gotten extremely hot too. Now a 4.4 amp discharge rate at 22.2 volts peak (6 cell Lipo) would be a little under 100 watts, so that is within the power dissipation range for the external load resistors. Be careful the resistors can get quite hot but that is to be expected.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:42 AM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,230 Posts
OK, I guess I was concerned that it wasn't using the discharge rate I specified, and that the lower amperage might result in over-stressing the internal discharger, with too many watts. I don't want to damage the charger.

If you follow the spreadsheet, should it typically use the discharge current you specify, if the sheet says it's OK?

Thanks for the tip; the resistors have aluminum heatsinks, and I have them bolted to an aluminum plate, with a fan blowing across it. They do still get pretty hot, though!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:18 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Did you monitor the pack voltage under load? My guess is that it was less than 4.2V
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:52 AM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
206b balance port voltage error

hi... i recent bought the icharger after successfully charging for a few times now it keeps show balance port voltage error. it works when i charge it without balancing. i tried it with my other charger and it work fine. so is not the battery problem. please help me thanks.
shining123 is offline Find More Posts by shining123
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:29 AM
liv nvrtd
United States, NC, Salisbury
Joined Jun 2007
187 Posts
Is there any chance that you are using a parallel charging balance board connected to the charger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shining123 View Post
hi... i recent bought the icharger after successfully charging for a few times now it keeps show balance port voltage error. it works when i charge it without balancing. i tried it with my other charger and it work fine. so is not the battery problem. please help me thanks.
notruthless is offline Find More Posts by notruthless
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:09 AM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
Did you monitor the pack voltage under load? My guess is that it was less than 4.2V
I don't remember what it showed exactly. If I'd logged them, I could back and look, but I didn't.

But it was effectively a 4800mAh pack, with only a 4.4A load, so it would have stayed >4.1V for some time, I'd expect.

Based on the volts and the amps I saw (starting ~25.2V, and 4.4A), it was an effective resistance of 5.7 ohms, 1.6 higher than my resistors. So the charger acted as 1.6 ohms.

But with 5.5A flowing, and 25.2V, that's an effective resistance of 4.58 ohms, so the charger is only acting as 0.5 ohms.

If I'm doing the back-of-the-napkin math correctly, based on 25.2V (4.2V/cell), and 4.4A, my external resistors put out 79W total, and the charger put out 31W (over the 20W limit). The 31W is P=I^2*R, or (4.4A)^2*1.6 ohms.

If I hit 5.5A, with 25.2V, the externals would put out 124W, and the charger puts out 15W (safe).

I guess I need to try and sort this out before using Discharge+ again. I believe I read somewhere that the charger won't really regulate/limit its internal discharge watts when using Discharge+, so it will allow you to do something unsafe. That may be what's happening here?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by notruthless View Post
Is there any chance that you are using a parallel charging balance board connected to the charger?
nope... i did'nt use anything... i just plug in the battery to the charger
shining123 is offline Find More Posts by shining123
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:22 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Meter each cell at the balance tap. They have a habit of coming unstuck in the pack. You might have an open lead. Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:35 PM
Fls
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
First post. Yay.

I tried searching but found nothing appropriate.

I just got two 206b and when charging 1s 150mah lipos the charging process is stopped at my set end voltage, 4.2v but it instantly drops down to about 4.17v.

Both chargers do this on different lipos, seems as the 206b has some issues at low currents. Is there a setting for when the charge process should end for 1s lipos?

Also, at least one of the chargers need calibration, they differ quite a bit. I'm not sure which and not by how much since I don't have anything good enough to measure the voltage with at the moment. In the manual it's mentioned that it needs a steady 12v input. Does it really have to be exactly 12v or is it the steady part that's important?

Thanks.
Fls is offline Find More Posts by Fls
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:51 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Several points.

1) All lipos will drop back from 4.20V/cell at the end of the charge cycle

2) The difference in charge state between 4.17 and 4.20 is a few percent and is insignificant for practical purposes.

3) Tiny lipos naturally have higher internal resistance (including wires/connectors) so will drop back a bit more than larger, high-C lipos

4) The CV stage terminates at one tenth of the configured charge current. The current measurement resolution is no better than 10mA so when charging tiny lipos at low currents the CV stage may terminate earlier than expected. If you change the balance settings to "Slow" it will terminate at one fourtieth of the configured charge current BUT the current measurement resolution will still limit you. I am not sure how well "slow" mode works if your configured charge current is below 400mA.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:28 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,856 Posts
Guys, I need some help.

My iCharger 206B's balance port isn't working correctly anymore. It does not display the correct voltage (hold the "stop" button for a few seconds, then press the inc button, to go to the individual cell's voltage display screen). Instead it shows the first and last cells' voltage only - 3.86, ----, 2.28. Cell's actual voltage is 3.85 all around (with a small difference of course).

In the past when I've seen this reading it usually means one of the cables on the charging leads are not making proper electrical contact. So after verifying that it was not a battery problem (have 2 other chargers and a battery voltage meter) I plugged the battery balance lead back into my iCharger and jiggled it around... no difference.

So I thought maybe it was a bad solder connection and opened up the iCharger 206B to do a visual inspection. Everything seems fine, I couldn't make out any burnt components and the solder connections seem solid.

Replaced everything and hooked it up - still no go.

I'd add that the normal charging functions from the main plugs are not affected, just the balance charging functions.

I'm pretty annoyed, I've only had it a month or so. Any thoughts on how to salvage it?
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair