HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:35 PM
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Jan 2008
195 Posts
I just charged four 6s 2200mah in 15 minutes on my new iCharger 306B! This charger is easily the best purchase I've made yet in this hobby.

I can now charge batteries faster than I can fly them! Thanks Junsi!!!
jredingt is online now Find More Posts by jredingt
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:05 PM
United States, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Sep 2011
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jredingt View Post
I just charged four 6s 2200mah in 15 minutes on my new iCharger 306B! This charger is easily the best purchase I've made yet in this hobby.

I can now charge batteries faster than I can fly them! Thanks Junsi!!!
Recently experienced the same. Adds a new sense of urgency at the field. Paid for itself in two weekends IMHO by doubling our flight time.
seattlebuoy is offline Find More Posts by seattlebuoy
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:22 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlebuoy View Post
Recently experienced the same. Adds a new sense of urgency at the field. Paid for itself in two weekends IMHO by doubling our flight time.
Hard to believe there are still guys using 50WATT chargers isn't it?
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:54 PM
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Jan 2008
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post
Hard to believe there are still guys using 50WATT chargers isn't it?
lol

Well, seeing as that is what i just upgraded from, I guess its not so hard to believe(for me).

Whats so hard to believe is how log it has taken for me to give in to the obvious evolution of my charging equipment.

One question I have about the 306B, is it normal for the input wires(coming from the power supply) to get pretty hot when pulling a lot of amps?
jredingt is online now Find More Posts by jredingt
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:36 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jredingt View Post
lol

Well, seeing as that is what i just upgraded from, I guess its not so hard to believe(for me).

Whats so hard to believe is how log it has taken for me to give in to the obvious evolution of my charging equipment.

One question I have about the 306B, is it normal for the input wires(coming from the power supply) to get pretty hot when pulling a lot of amps?
The wires getting hot is not a good thing. It means that they are too small and/or too long to handle the power passing through them. The shorter the wire is the more power you can get away with pulling through them but there is a point where larger wire is needed.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:11 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,252 Posts
The stock input wires will get warm when getting close to max current (50A).

Compensating for too thin wires by making them shorter does not work. Voltage drop will be reduced, but insulation might melt anyway.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:05 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,500 Posts
Quote:
Compensating for too thin wires by making them shorter does not work.
Please explain why not.
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:35 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Please explain why not.
The surface temperature of a 20cm wire will be the same as for a 50cm long one, for a given current.

Fred
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:46 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,500 Posts
If I respond to that as I had just typed it will just get me a warning . I will just say your beliefs / experience goes against Ohm's laws and my many years of experience.
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:07 AM
Joined Oct 2011
364 Posts
you need good field generator to charge batteries at 20-30A rate.
man1024 is offline Find More Posts by man1024
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:07 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,827 Posts
Fred is correct. Temperature rise in wire is largely dependent on cross sectional area (wire gauge). It's very true that 4 feet of wire will have 4 times the resistance and thus 4 times the power dissipation as a 1 foot length of the same wire. However, it will be dissipating this power over 4 times the surface area so the net result is that the surface temperature of the wire will be effectively identical, regardless of length. This is consistent with Ohm's law.

That said, if there is additional heatsinking at the termination, a shorter length of wire will have lower temperature rise. In very short lengths of wire, this can be significant. In long wire lengths, it is insignificant.

If one wishes to lower wire temperature, either lower current draw, increase wire gauge, or improve cooling with a fan, heatsinking, etc.

At maximum 50 amp source current, the 12 gauge wire on a 306B or 3010B can be expected to get quite warm. This should pose no issue as the silicone insulation can easily handle such. Fusing current of 12 AWG wire is over 200 amps so the wire itself can easily handle 50 A continuous for an extended period of time with zero issue.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mrforsyth; Oct 26, 2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:22 AM
Joined Oct 2011
364 Posts
Gents here is one for you.

http://powerequipment.honda.com/gene...models/eu1000i

man1024 is offline Find More Posts by man1024
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:02 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
If one wishes to lower wire temperature, either lower current draw, increase wire gauge, or improve cooling with a fan, heatsinking, etc.
Assuming max input current is not the limitation (50A), there will be a slight effect of shortening the wire, since voltage at the charger will increase which will result in lower current for the same charging power.

Fred
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:09 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,827 Posts
True, but that should be negligible as voltage drop in a short length of 12 AWG wire is insignificant at <50A.

I've also experienced that poor connections can cause excessive power loss. In these instances, lengthening wire can aid in power dissipation and actually lower wire temperature.....
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:17 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,648 Posts
But at the cost of more power loss. Best case is to have good connections and chose a wire size that meets or exceeds the requirements.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Last edited by BGR; Oct 26, 2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Edit.