Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:15 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helimex View Post
Hi, I have two 1010B+ chargers since more than one year. One of them shows now a fail reading the cell N° 2 voltage, up to 0.600 V more than the real value. I know that by comparison, same 10s pack, same balancing adaptor, with the other charger, and by measuring each cell with a FLUKE DMV. I tried to recalibrate the cell reading but it is not possible because the actual version v3.14 of the firmware only allow to modify up to 0.400 V the indication. This failure has two effects, if the pack is full charged (with the second 1010B+) I got an “CELL OVERVOLTAGE” alarm that blocked the charger. If the pack is to be charged, all the cells reach the 4.20 max voltage, except the cell n°2 that is under loaded at 3.60 V max.

Can I do anything to recover the charger? Or I have to resign my self to use it only for Ni- batteries an Pb´s?

Helimex
It appears there is something amiss with the balance port circuitry, but I bet you could change the lipo in normal charging mode.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:32 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helimex View Post
Hi, I have two 1010B+ chargers since more than one year. One of them shows now a fail reading the cell N° 2 voltage, up to 0.600 V more than the real value. I know that by comparison, same 10s pack, same balancing adaptor, with the other charger, and by measuring each cell with a FLUKE DMV. I tried to recalibrate the cell reading but it is not possible because the actual version v3.14 of the firmware only allow to modify up to 0.400 V the indication. This failure has two effects, if the pack is full charged (with the second 1010B+) I got an “CELL OVERVOLTAGE” alarm that blocked the charger. If the pack is to be charged, all the cells reach the 4.20 max voltage, except the cell n°2 that is under loaded at 3.60 V max.
Helimex
Sorry to cause you this trouble, please check the PM we have sent to you.

Junsi
junsi is online now Find More Posts by junsi
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:29 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,003 Posts
Is there somewhere in the menu to terminate charge voltage at 4.18v when balance charging,the charger is working fine but for battery life i would prefer to terminate below 4.20v if it is possible.Thanks
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:15 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,736 Posts
Yes LiPo Termination Voltage is adjustable,it is in the Program Select Settings.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:24 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jan 2006
192 Posts
I have a 208B Icharger and an EP buddy para board withTplugs all new. I was charging 4 batteries yesterday in parallel. I went to check the cell voltage and saw only 3 showing for cell count. I checked all 4 connections to the board plugs and balance leads all was fine. I checked all batteries on a watt meter when done and all were charged to 4.20.
I flew 2 batteries that morning and when I got home I charged the 2 I used as I was flying again that evening. When I charged those 2 on the para board at 4.4 I checked the cell voltage again and it showed 3 batteries but there were only 2 attached to the para board.
Any ideas and what am I missing here. para charging is new to me so am I doing something wrong.
Thanks
touche is offline Find More Posts by touche
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:47 AM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,658 Posts
Maybe someone else can help, touche, as I don't understand the statement, "it showed 3 batteries"? When parallel charging, the charger only "sees" one big battery. (?)

I recently bought my first "big" battery - a 6S 5000. I connect the battery to my paraboard (is this a Paraboard question, I guess?) which is connected to an iCharger 206b+. I try now to connect balance lead first, then main charge lead. When I connect the charge lead, I get an unnerving spark. Everything charges fine after that. Anyone else see this?
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:50 AM
Team Hillbilly 🐘💨
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2010
952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster View Post
Maybe someone else can help, touche, as I don't understand the statement, "it showed 3 batteries"? When parallel charging, the charger only "sees" one big battery. (?)

I recently bought my first "big" battery - a 6S 5000. I connect the battery to my paraboard (is this a Paraboard question, I guess?) which is connected to an iCharger 206b+. I try now to connect balance lead first, then main charge lead. When I connect the charge lead, I get an unnerving spark. Everything charges fine after that. Anyone else see this?
That's normal for me. You'll get a good spark when you plug into the esc also
bullittjeff is offline Find More Posts by bullittjeff
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:24 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Quote:

Watch carefully, you'll see a spark frequently when connecting to your ESC as well. It's normal for a battery that size.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:15 PM
Ignint McNugget
behind Jaggi lines
Joined Jan 2004
907 Posts
Quote:
You should connect the balance cable first, as you already do. Then, when attaching the main discharge leads - connect the positive pole first. This can be done easily with most connectors. After a second or so, then fully connect both poles of the main discharge lead and you'll avoid the spark.
Rumple is offline Find More Posts by Rumple
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:22 PM
Ignint McNugget
behind Jaggi lines
Joined Jan 2004
907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by touche View Post
I have a 208B Icharger and an EP buddy para board withTplugs all new. I was charging 4 batteries yesterday in parallel. I went to check the cell voltage and saw only 3 showing for cell count. I checked all 4 connections to the board plugs and balance leads all was fine. I checked all batteries on a watt meter when done and all were charged to 4.20.
I flew 2 batteries that morning and when I got home I charged the 2 I used as I was flying again that evening. When I charged those 2 on the para board at 4.4 I checked the cell voltage again and it showed 3 batteries but there were only 2 attached to the para board.
Any ideas and what am I missing here. para charging is new to me so am I doing something wrong.
Thanks
Are you charging 3s lipo packs? If so, what you've described makes sense. When connecting 2, or 4, (or any number) of 3s packs in parallel, the charger only sees the combination as one large 3s pack - composed of only 3 cells.
Rumple is offline Find More Posts by Rumple
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:43 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Yes LiPo Termination Voltage is adjustable,it is in the Program Select Settings.

Charles
Thank you Charles i must have zoomed over it ,corrected the termination to 4.18 which i agree with you it's not really necessary to push right up to 4.20 just to get a few measly mah more,even if you inject a light load the voltage drops out in very short order anyway so there's really no point in doing it other than stressing the battery out to it's MAX.Thanks
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:05 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
Thank you Charles i must have zoomed over it ,corrected the termination to 4.18 which i agree with you it's not really necessary to push right up to 4.20 just to get a few measly mah more,even if you inject a light load the voltage drops out in very short order anyway so there's really no point in doing it other than stressing the battery out to it's MAX.Thanks
Many of us are really keen on preserving the life of our batteries, myself included. But I have to wonder if we are needlessly obsessing over tiny differences in voltage that do not yield anything of significance. I think that the way we use our batteries plays a much more significant role in the life of a Lipo than .02 final charging voltage reduction.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:55 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jan 2006
192 Posts
Thanks guys..DOH it was a Homer Simpson moment..it has past now I should be ok..perhaps the spark, kick started my brain again lol...3 cell battery will only show 3 cells...
touche is offline Find More Posts by touche
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:56 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
Many of us are really keen on preserving the life of our batteries, myself included. But I have to wonder if we are needlessly obsessing over tiny differences in voltage that do not yield anything of significance. I think that the way we use our batteries plays a much more significant role in the life of a Lipo than .02 final charging voltage reduction.
While your comments are valid and the benefits from reducing the termination voltage are non-linear, they are still real, even at 4.18V.

For example here you can see that terminating at 4.10V gives about 85% capacity and a doubling of cycle life, 4.15V gives about 92% capacity and 1.5 times the cycle life and 4.18V gives about 98% capacity and 1.1 times the cycle life. So there is a lot to be gained and little to be lost by choosing a termination voltage between 4.15 and 4.20V depending upon your preferences.

However as you say, if you overheat or overdischarge your packs you will rapidly loose cycle life and reduce the benefits gained from a lower termination voltage.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:07 PM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
So will the CV phase be adjust if you use a lower termination voltage. I assume it would, just wanted to check. I set 4.19 termination (Lipo) and wouldnt want the charge to wait till it sees 4.20v to start the balance.
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain