HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:26 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_lux View Post
Can I plug an XH balance connector straight into the charger to bypass the balance board. I want to test if it is a faulty balance board.
Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_lux View Post
If it is infact the balance board that is causing an issue can I buy the paraboard from epbuddy and plug that into the icharger completely bypassing the balance board?
Again, absolutely!

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
thanks!
g_lux is offline Find More Posts by g_lux
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:42 PM
Quads Hexa Pixhawk PX4 500 600
Australia, NSW, Killcare
Joined Oct 2004
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
What power source do you guys recommend for field charging with my iCharger 3010B? I'm usually charging 3s, 4s, and 6s batteries at 15 Amps +. I had a deep cycle marine battery that I bought from Wal Mart but I think I killed it when I started trying to charge at 20 Amps. It won't hold a charge any longer.
Well meanwell brand provides a good performance / price:
Icharger 3010B 1000Watts output tested (5 min 52 sec)
henrik2000 is offline Find More Posts by henrik2000
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:15 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jun 2012
44 Posts
You must have a long extension cord to run that Meanwell at the field
MarkEHansen is offline Find More Posts by MarkEHansen
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:40 PM
USA, IN, Underwood
Joined Jun 2007
41 Posts
Scorpion sent me a Scorpion Backup Guard to go with my Scorpion Commander V 130 SBEC. Now my question is what is the best way to charge it? It has a servo connector that goes in to the receiver and only applies 5v when the bec voltage drops below 5v. I don't think I can charge on this connector because it does not let voltage in. It has a 2S JST-XHR balance connector to charge with. What kind of addapter would I need to make to charge through the balance connector?

Here is a link to the backup.
http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalo..._Backup_Guard/
chadew is offline Find More Posts by chadew
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:44 PM
Team Hillbilly 🐘💨
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2010
960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadew View Post
Scorpion sent me a Scorpion Backup Guard to go with my Scorpion Commander V 130 SBEC. Now my question is what is the best way to charge it? It has a servo connector that goes in to the receiver and only applies 5v when the bec voltage drops below 5v. I don't think I can charge on this connector because it does not let voltage in. It has a 2S JST-XHR balance connector to charge with. What kind of addapter would I need to make to charge through the balance connector?

It says the manual is included. It has a 2s lipo in it from what I read
bullittjeff is online now Find More Posts by bullittjeff
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:59 PM
USA, IN, Underwood
Joined Jun 2007
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullittjeff View Post
It says the manual is included. It has a 2s lipo in it from what I read
Yes there is a manual included and it is a 2S lipo. It shows to charge throught the balance port. How do I do that with an iCharger? I am pretty sure you can not charge on the servo connector as it has circuitry that olny alows 5v output when there is less than 5v from the bec. there is also a power switch.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:20 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
You need to learn / understand the the two out side balancing leads are in fact in parallel with the packs out put leads thus if main charger out put are connected in parallel balancing - to charger's - and main chargers + to balancing + and both balancing leads and main leads are connected to the charger you can do a balancing charge thru the balancing leads. This is exactly the way many 2S Micro UMX LiPolys get charged.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:03 PM
USA, IN, Underwood
Joined Jun 2007
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
You need to learn / understand the the two out side balancing leads are in fact in parallel with the packs out put leads thus if main charger out put are connected in parallel balancing - to charger's - and main chargers + to balancing + and both balancing leads and main leads are connected to the charger you can do a balancing charge thru the balancing leads. This is exactly the way many 2S Micro UMX LiPolys get charged.

Charles
I was starting to see that. Progressive RC makes a cable for the UMX that is like you describe. Do you have a wiring diagram so I can make one. I just want to make sure I wire it up correctly.Thanks.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:28 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Yes there is a manual included and it is a 2S lipo. It shows to charge throught the balance port. How do I do that with an iCharger? I am pretty sure you can not charge on the servo connector as it has circuitry that olny alows 5v output when there is less than 5v from the bec. there is also a power switch.
Where there is a will there is a way. If one looks at a standard 2S Lipo the main connection has a + (Red) and a - (Black) wire. The balancing connector + wire is connected to the battery in the same place as the main connector (Red) and the - is connected to the main connector - (Black). The middle wire on the balance connector is connected between the 2 cells.

So you can make a cable that taps into the + and - of the balance connector and connect it to the charging output of the ICharger. If your clever enough with your adapter cable design you can balance charge the battery.

Edit...Oops I guess everydayflyer already had the same answer.... Oh well
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:20 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,416 Posts
Quote:
I was starting to see that. Progressive RC makes a cable for the UMX that is like you describe. Do you have a wiring diagram so I can make one. I just want to make sure I wire it up correctly.Thanks.
Here you will find a nice picture: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2S_Lipoly.html

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:54 AM
USA, IN, Underwood
Joined Jun 2007
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
Here you will find a nice picture: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2S_Lipoly.html

Fred
Thanks everyone for the help. I made a cable that goes from the ec3 to the balance plug on my parallel board and it seems to work perfect.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:25 AM
Waterloo, Belgium
Joined Dec 2004
276 Posts
I am very happy with the following :

* one iCharger 3010B to charge up to 12s2p a123 at the field in 15min in the plane (they never leave the plane)
* two 65 Ah gel batteries (to get 24V) staying in my car
* a MeanWell 24V 1000W and a spare iCharger 3010B to charge at home, including the gel batteries.

Before that configuration I used a MasTech 2050 with a converter.

I am a123 only since 2006.

The iCharger 3010B is the best charger I know for that purpose.
ramboman is offline Find More Posts by ramboman
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:29 AM
Waterloo, Belgium
Joined Dec 2004
276 Posts
Keep it simple...

Quote:

For exactly the same purpose, I use 4 eneloop following a very old Schulze design... If you add something to check the voltage, you never have to charge them... they are only used for backup...
ramboman is offline Find More Posts by ramboman
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:28 PM
México City
Joined Aug 2006
2 Posts
Hi, I have two 1010B+ chargers since more than one year. One of them shows now a fail reading the cell N° 2 voltage, up to 0.600 V more than the real value. I know that by comparison, same 10s pack, same balancing adaptor, with the other charger, and by measuring each cell with a FLUKE DMV. I tried to recalibrate the cell reading but it is not possible because the actual version v3.14 of the firmware only allow to modify up to 0.400 V the indication. This failure has two effects, if the pack is full charged (with the second 1010B+) I got an “CELL OVERVOLTAGE” alarm that blocked the charger. If the pack is to be charged, all the cells reach the 4.20 max voltage, except the cell n°2 that is under loaded at 3.60 V max.

Can I do anything to recover the charger? Or I have to resign my self to use it only for Ni- batteries an Pb´s?

Helimex
Helimex is offline Find More Posts by Helimex