HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:25 AM
United States, OR, Oregon City
Joined Jul 2012
133 Posts
Broke the LCD display on my 106b. Worth fixing? Any way to find a replacement screen? Useless now as I can read amps and cells,

I bought the 206b as a replacement (needed a charger immediately) but hate to see the 106b go to waste...... only to snip wires and make use of the bullet leads.
naturecannon is offline Find More Posts by naturecannon
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:40 AM
Hamburger
Joined Jan 2010
860 Posts
you could try and replace LCD with one from the cheap imax b6 clones range. They all seem to have the same 16x2 lcd. Not sure if it is worth trying but maybe you can get one of those chargers used/broken and reuse their lcd.
hamburger is offline Find More Posts by hamburger
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:49 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,362 Posts
Maybe this can be used?

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:08 AM
Hamburger
Joined Jan 2010
860 Posts
With 'cooling fan' set to AUTO, I have seen during a balance charge an internal temp of 42 deg Celsius and the fan did not spin at all.

if 'cooling fan' is set to AUTO, at what internal temp is the fan supposed to start, please?
firmware is 3.14
hamburger is offline Find More Posts by hamburger
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:10 PM
United Kingdom, England, Enfield
Joined Jan 2012
1,068 Posts
I just bought the 106B a few weeks ago, my first decent charger and I've got a quick question. I've been balance charging different packs, 1S, 2S and 3S and noticed that the amps drop right off to like 0.2A nearing the end of the charge cycle and it takes a long time to complete the charge.
In other words, for a 2S 1800mah pack charging at 1.8A, it will get to around 4.18v in about 15 minutes but then take another 10min to get to 4.20v and finish.

Is this normal?
BenVK is online now Find More Posts by BenVK
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:13 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,350 Posts
Normal with any "smart" charger.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,068 Posts
Ok, thanks. Is there anyway to set the charger to not do this however?
I'd rather charge to 4.18v in 15min than wait 25min to get to exactly to 4.2v, especially with 1S packs which I don't understand the need to balance charge anyway.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:30 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
Change Balance to Fast
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,068 Posts
Tried that, it still does the same thing i.e. drops the amps right down to zero point something at the end and stays there for a awhile.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:10 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenVK View Post
Tried that, it still does the same thing i.e. drops the amps right down to zero point something at the end and stays there for a awhile.
Well Fast balance ends with the cells not as closely balanced it end charge when charge rate drops to CC / 5 versus CV / 10.

If you want faster then try setting charge to to a lower volatge such as 4.18 versus 4.2.

If you LiPolys are difficult to balance then try starting balance at Storgae voltage insted of at CV stage, A big part of getting the most out of a charger is understanding how the batteries charge ,how the chargers work and thus how to customize the charger's setting to best meet your needs.

The is no law that says you have to wait for the charge to complete. Watch the mAhs being delivered to the LiPoly, observe the charge rate and the cell voltages . Whne cells are above 4.15 and charge rate has droped to 1/10 of the set charge rate and the cells are all fairly close ( 0.02V ) and you are wanting to fly stop the charge and fly. Setting charge to 4.15 will give you a 95% charge and be even faster.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...61&postcount=1

Snip:

Efficient use of charging time
This example based on charging 3S3300 at 12.5A (3.78C) and while not linear are representative of other rates. Each person will have to conduct their own equalization as chargers/balancers and LiPolys will vary.

Total charge time 18 min. capacity replaced 2896 for an average of 160.9 mAh per min..
During the first 12:30 while rate was holding at 12.5A
2600 mAh for an average of 208 mAh per minute.
Between 12:30 and 14 min . 200 mAh or 133.3 mAh per minute.

First 12:30 or 69.4% of total time 2600 mAh or 89.8% of capacity achieved

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Aug 17, 2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,068 Posts
That's very helpful, thank you. I will try setting the max charge voltage lower as you suggested, just not sure where that setting is yet.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:26 PM
mhm
Joined Aug 2012
2 Posts
Balance board connector cable?

Hi,

I recently bought the 208B and the two balance boards to go with it, however I do t seem to have the cable necessary to connect the balance board to the charger. Should this have been supplied with the charger or the balance boards?

If not where can I buy one from (i'm in the UK) as the site I bought the charger and boards from dont seem to stock such a cable to connect the two together?

I'm new to electric RC and I suspect I might being a bit dim here....

Thanks!
mhm is offline Find More Posts by mhm
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:11 AM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhm View Post
Hi,

I recently bought the 208B and the two balance boards to go with it, however I do t seem to have the cable necessary to connect the balance board to the charger. Should this have been supplied with the charger or the balance boards?

If not where can I buy one from (i'm in the UK) as the site I bought the charger and boards from dont seem to stock such a cable to connect the two together?

I'm new to electric RC and I suspect I might being a bit dim here....

Thanks!
It should have come with the balance boards, but perhaps it is a item that is sold separately. Go back to where you bought the boards.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:10 AM
mhm
Joined Aug 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
It should have come with the balance boards, but perhaps it is a item that is sold separately. Go back to where you bought the boards.
Thanks.

On closer inspection of their website it seems they do indeed sell the connector cable separately. I find that odd but there you have it. They don't have one in stock either. Managed to source one elsewhere though so hopefully that will turn up soon and I can give it a go.
mhm is offline Find More Posts by mhm
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:34 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhm View Post
Thanks.

On closer inspection of their website it seems they do indeed sell the connector cable separately. I find that odd but there you have it. They don't have one in stock either. Managed to source one elsewhere though so hopefully that will turn up soon and I can give it a go.
My cable was in box under some of the other cables and such.
If you can not obtain I have the connectors and will make one for you.

Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn