HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:16 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
I noticed that you live in North Carolina, How is the humidity these days? Perhaps as suspected it is a corrosion issue. WD40 in any form, its all the same, Deoxit or any other plastic safe electronic contact cleaner would be ok.

Electronics like cool dry environments.
Humidity is pretty high so maybe you guys are onto something.

I haven't been able to replicate the issue today but I've ordered some DeOxIt for when it happens next to see if that resolved the issue.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:46 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Hi Guys

When using the DC jack (power pack) to power the charger (106B+), does the other input cable with the 4mm Bullet connectors need to be protected from each other or dose the charger sense which input is being used?
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:10 AM
Joined Aug 2012
2 Posts
Hey.
Thank you for iCharger 206B(51010875070xxxx). With iCharger 206B (LogView) I was able to build a battery discharge charts LSD Eneloop batteries HG-3UTGA. The discharge current 1A and 2A of the discharge current.

Find a mistake in data_sheet Eneloop (data_sheet)
This is not true ... This is true ...

Thank you.
Alexp007 is offline Find More Posts by Alexp007
Last edited by Alexp007; Aug 16, 2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:00 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,167 Posts
Were you measuring voltage within the charger via the discharge lead or at the output of the cell with a separate set of sense leads? I suspect the former which invalidates your data as it does not account for voltage drop which obviously changes with current.

I trust Eneloop's published data.

Still, off topic for this thread.
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:48 PM
Hamburger
Joined Jan 2010
847 Posts
got a new 206B today.
What puzzles me, it charges my 3S lipo to 12,62 Volts (from the display). I verified this with a (cheap) multimeter and it says 12,62 volts too.
Isn't over-volting dangerous to lipos? How exact is all this measuring done in the charger really?
hamburger is offline Find More Posts by hamburger
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:11 PM
USA, Eastern Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
975 Posts
I think I've read where 4.21-4.22 V per cell really isn't anything to worry about. It's when you get to 4.24 or above that you really start to worry.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Tag1260 is offline Find More Posts by Tag1260
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:00 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,167 Posts
What is the per cell voltage at completion of charge as viewed on the individual cell monitor screen on the charger?

My bet is that it is at or below 4.2 volts for each cell and all is as it should be.
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:04 PM
Hamburger
Joined Jan 2010
847 Posts
will have to check the individula cell voltages both via icharger and via multimeter tomorrow upon the next charging.
hamburger is offline Find More Posts by hamburger
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:25 PM
WI
Joined Feb 2006
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evltoy View Post
Hi Guys

When using the DC jack (power pack) to power the charger (106B+), does the other input cable with the 4mm Bullet connectors need to be protected from each other or dose the charger sense which input is being used?
I have tested this on my 1010b+ with my voltmeter. It reads 12.5v across the 4mm bullet connectors when connected to my 12v battery through the DC jack. I would assume the 106B+ would act similarly.
BernieV is offline Find More Posts by BernieV
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:51 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Thanks BernieV.

Seems pretty unsafe to have the 4mm bullet connectors active while using the DC jack.

Will have to now find some sort of covers to place over the bullets to protect from any short
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:17 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
got a new 206B today.
What puzzles me, it charges my 3S lipo to 12,62 Volts (from the display). I verified this with a (cheap) multimeter and it says 12,62 volts too.
Isn't over-volting dangerous to lipos? How exact is all this measuring done in the charger really?
My 106B shows 12.62 volts on a 3s lipo at the end of the constant current portion of the charge cycle. I have even seen 12.65 volts when charging 5 lipos in parallel but when I look at the per cell voltage it shows 4.20 volts. I have checked the per cell voltage with a dedicated meter after removing the battery from the charger and it reads 4.18 volts per cell...nicely balanced. No worries.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:27 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
My 106B shows 12.62 volts on a 3s lipo at the end of the constant current portion of the charge cycle. I have even seen 12.65 volts when charging 5 lipos in parallel but when I look at the per cell voltage it shows 4.20 volts. I have checked the per cell voltage with a dedicated meter after removing the battery from the charger and it reads 4.18 volts per cell...nicely balanced. No worries.
What you are seeing is the charger voltage, not the battery voltage.
You can't get the battery to 4.20V without charging it with a higher voltage.
Charging with 4.20V will not get your battery to 4.20V.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:55 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Ok - I'm hoping some of your charging and/or iCharger gurus can help me out. I've searched this thread and seen this topic but have yet to see the actual solution or understand the issue that is creating the problem.

First - a disclaimer and some background. I'm a moron when it comes to all things electrical. I'm an accountant by trade and this stuff is like learning Mandarin to me. Secondly - I've read through the manual several times and while I see certain things that could point to my issue, the lingo and terminology loses me before the documentation even begins to provide insight for me. SO... it's not without trying on my part that I haven't figured this out. I was about to call Dale and EPBuddy (since I bought my charger from him - great guy and excellent customer service by the way) but he's at a show this week so I figured I'd start here.

Anyway - I have an iCharger 3010B and a Meanwell 1000W power supply. I'm using a paraboard as well. All of these were purchased at EPBuddy.com.

I have no problems balance charging any of my 3s or 4s batteries but I have an intermittent problem when attempting to charge my 2s batteries. I use Hyperion 2s batts, Gens Ace 2s batter, and TP 2s Batts for my UMX Beast, mCPx, and 130x. The problem exists no matter which brand of battery. SOMETIMES as soon as I plug in the balance lead into my paraboard I get a "VOUT OVER" message in the bottom right hand portion of the screen where it would normally auto detect the cell count for my batteries.

I can't say with any certainty but at times it seems I can remedy this by either wiggling the wires of the parabaord or by changing the balance tap on the paraboard (although sometimes one works and sometimes it doesn't so it's not that one of the taps appears to be bad or anything). Actually - for the past day or so it's been fine. But before this I couldn't get it to work no matter what and I just had to charge instead of balance charge my packs.

I've purchased a new paraboard thinking that might be the issue but no dice. Same issue.

I would THINK that this is some sort of electrical issue if I can remedy it by wiggling the wires on the paraboard but I'm not certain that this is the reason.

After reading through the manual I'm wondering if page 13 is trying to clue me in to what my issue might be but I couldn't follow all the lingo in order to do the math.

What I CAN tell you is that whenever this happens I can manually test each battery (using a voltage checker) to determine that my cell voltages on each battery are normal (3.8ish) so it's not like the batteries have over discharged.

Any thoughts? If there's any additional information I can provide please let me know. I'm wondering if something is wrong with the iCharger or if it's just a setting?

Thanks in advance!
Also in Charlotte and fly similar STUFF!
Will have to go flying one day.
Have done electronics for 55 years so I may be able to assist.
My e-mail is w4yn@earthlink.net (also an amateur radio buff and builder of radio gear) Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:55 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post
What you are seeing is the charger voltage, not the battery voltage.
You can't get the battery to 4.20V without charging it with a higher voltage.
Charging with 4.20V will not get your battery to 4.20V.
I was simply confirming that what the other poster saw on the total voltage display of his iCharger is not uncommon and IMHO not an issue.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:42 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
I was simply confirming that what the other poster saw on the total voltage display of his iCharger is not uncommon and IMHO not an issue.
I completely agree.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter