HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:52 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendenyc View Post
The problem is that on the 206b the q22 and q24 solder points are under the LCD which is also soldered. (the photo in the FAQ is not the same charger i have. Are there any points n 206b I can break to get it to work?
Sorry to hear that, please check the PM we have sent to you. Thanks.

Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:07 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4 Posts
Hello Junsi, PM replied
dendenyc is offline Find More Posts by dendenyc
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:21 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2011
783 Posts
Problems with X10 Power Control System

I have an iCharger 3010B and a Junsi 350W DC Power supply that I am very happy with. My house is also loaded with X10 Power Control Modules (lamp and appliance modules).

I have noticed that whenever the Junsi Power Supply is turned on and the 3010B is connected, any X10 device connected to the same power phase is no longer functional because of line noise (X10 operates at 100kHz at the 60Hz zero crossing). If I disconnect the 3010B from the power supply, X10 works fine. It appears noise is being generated in the 3010B even when it is not charging batteries.

Any one else have this problem?
JohnRB is offline Find More Posts by JohnRB
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:10 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,633 Posts
Perhaps visit the X 10 Forum

http://www.x10.com/news/mssgBd.htm

I have numerious of thier Eagle Eyes,Motion Sensor FloodLights, Security Console ,door / window sensors etc. and yes they are very subject to line noises. Switching power supplies are just one of many sources.,
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:19 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRB View Post
I have an iCharger 3010B and a Junsi 350W DC Power supply that I am very happy with. My house is also loaded with X10 Power Control Modules (lamp and appliance modules).

I have noticed that whenever the Junsi Power Supply is turned on and the 3010B is connected, any X10 device connected to the same power phase is no longer functional because of line noise (X10 operates at 100kHz at the 60Hz zero crossing). If I disconnect the 3010B from the power supply, X10 works fine. It appears noise is being generated in the 3010B even when it is not charging batteries.

Any one else have this problem?

It is not the charger, it is the power supply.
When you add a load to the power supply, your charger, it will send some harmonics up the line.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:40 AM
Joined Oct 2011
783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post
It is not the charger, it is the power supply.
When you add a load to the power supply, your charger, it will send some harmonics up the line.
Thanks for the reply.

I suspected it might be the switcher under load. I had planned to scope it today as well as try a linear PS. I was just curious if anyone else had noticed the same problem.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:15 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,154 Posts
Can this be done?

I have a iCharger 106b and a paraboard. For those rare days where you don't get to fly all of your packs the 106 with it's 10w discharger takes for ever. This bulb is a 50w 12v bulb and is soldered to my XT60 connector. Can I run the bulb while using the storage/discharge mode? I know it won't turn off at the set level. I may just add a second bulb and connect the balance voltage cell reader to get discharged in the ball park and finish off on the charger.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:23 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,145 Posts
Quote:
I also have X10 throughout my house have noticed that a number of switching power supplies give the X10 grief. The solution is to put an X10 filter between the switching supply and the AC line.

I have a bunch if these

http://www.smarthome.com/4845/Levito...-Filter/p.aspx

There are higher current versions and that is what you would need.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Oct 2011
783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
I also have X10 throughout my house have noticed that a number of switching power supplies give the X10 grief. The solution is to put an X10 filter between the switching supply and the AC line.

I have a bunch if these

http://www.smarthome.com/4845/Levito...-Filter/p.aspx

There are higher current versions and that is what you would need.
Today I measured the current consumption of the charger while it is idle, about 80mA. Putting a 180 ohm resistor across the power supply output produces about the same load and the noise from the power supply kills all X-10 signals.

I have those filters on hand as well. Even with only an 80mA load, It did not help with this power supply.

I looked at the power line using a scope and Scope-Test2 and the small bursts of noise are always there, but narrow enough to not completely block X-10. As the load on the power supply increases the bursts get more frequent and higher in amplitude. Minimal testing so far indicates the frequency contained in the bursts is constant, only the width and amplitude change. All of this testing with very light loads.

Tomorrow and will try to spend some additional time on this.

John
Last edited by JohnRB; Aug 02, 2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Correct typo
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Oct 2011
783 Posts
P350 67kHz noise.

Did some scoping today and I now understand why filter did not help. The filters attenuate signals between 80kHz - 200kHz. The offending signals from the P350 are around 67kHz.

I have attached to scope captures. The scope is being double triggered, first by the 0 crossing of the 60Hz line voltage on channel 3 followed by the first transition on the data line on channel 4. I am using an ACT Scope-Test2 to make the signals viewable on the scope.

The first capture shows a normal 120kHz X10 signal and it's time placement and amplitude after the 0 crossing.

The second capture shows the 65.3kHz noise being generated by the P350. Note it's placement is right where any X10 signal would appear and it's amplitude is greater than a normal X10 signal. I suspect the problem gets worse as a greater load is placed on the power supply.

X and Y scales are the same in both scope captures.

Looks like a good 65kHz filter is required between the wall outlet and the P350.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:33 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,145 Posts
Thanks John. That may explain why my X10 reliability is still not great dispite having a filters on all my TVs, computers and other switching power supplies. I have found they definitely help. But its still not perfect. I have a lot of switches as well as an Ocelot controller. So it would be expensive to convert to a different technology. But i think its inevitable.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:52 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
Can this be done?

I have a iCharger 106b and a paraboard. For those rare days where you don't get to fly all of your packs the 106 with it's 10w discharger takes for ever. This bulb is a 50w 12v bulb and is soldered to my XT60 connector. Can I run the bulb while using the storage/discharge mode? I know it won't turn off at the set level. I may just add a second bulb and connect the balance voltage cell reader to get discharged in the ball park and finish off on the charger.
I recall reading the 3010b has instructions on how to put a load in series for speedier discharge.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:26 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
Can this be done?

Look up the "external expanding discharge mode". As was said the load should be in series, then it will get turned off as soon as it disengages the discharge.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:30 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,154 Posts
okay thanks will do.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:42 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,670 Posts
Quote:
I suspect the problem gets worse as a greater load is placed on the power supply.
Unless it is a particularly crappy PSU it should actually get better with more load. SMPS dont really like having next to no load on them and unless designed for it can do weird things (as you have seen).
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker