HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:11 AM
Joined Jan 2008
154 Posts
Junsi,
I've been trying to get my 106B+ to work with Logview but keep getting an error message: "COM port can't be opened"

I reinstalled the Logview program and the Junsi USB driver and still the same.
I also tried to register onto Logview for their support but they ask a random question? "beGrlin-G" I have not idea what that is all about.

Please help,
DM
AURORA60 is offline Find More Posts by AURORA60
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:18 AM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
Hi,

My 1010B killed itself while discharging to storage

It was discharging, fan was running and it was not very hot but warm. Then suddenly it showed error: "Input vol err - low voltage".

Now, when I connect to power supply, it first shows correct input voltage (13.xx V) and output voltage (0V). When I connect battery it still shows correct Vi but Vo is shown much too low (should be ~14V). And when I finally connect ballancer port, it first shows Vi=0V for a short time and then the error again: "Input vol err - low voltage".

I made a small video to show this:

Problem with 1010B+ after discharging (to storage level) (0 min 39 sec)

I guess, some "high power part" is broken as it happend on discharge with maximum power. Can anyone tell me which part it is from these symptoms? I can solder and swap parts, but I am not that good at reading circuits

Thanks,
- Oliver
Smeagle is offline Find More Posts by Smeagle
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
Hello All,

I'm a new owner of an iCharger 106b+, I purchased it to replace my cheap Imax B6 clone because I wanted a quality charger that can deliver what it promises and is very accurate. I have very basic understanding of electronics (from elementary school some decades ago). I tried to search and read back a few dozen pages, but did not find anything related to my question. So I apologize in advance if it's been asked before and if my question sounds very stupid.

I was charging a 2s 2100mAh LiPo pack at 1A in balance charge mode and at some point I saw something on the LCD which scared me: it was showing 8.58V output for main lead. I immediately checked the cell voltages and those were fine around 4.0xV (I don't remember exactly, but they were definitely below 4.2V and as far as I remember slightly below or around 4.1V per cell). I stopped charging. I've never seen higher than 8.4V for main lead on the B6, so seeing 8.58V on the 106b+ surprised me very much.

Is this normal? If yes, how can it be much higher than the sum of individual cell voltages measured on the balance lead?
I checked the calibration with my DMM, balance leads are accurate and main lead was lower by 0.05V. So I guess it wasn't really a calibration issue.

At the moment I'm using a cheap laptop AC adapter (outputs 12V and max 5A) to power the charger. I plan to get a proper power source and am looking at the VOLTCRAFT FSP 1207 fixed voltage laboratory power supply (Synchronised 11 - 15 V/DC, 7 A 105 W). I have the opportunity to get it at decent price and specs look good as far as I can tell (I'm charging my largest 7600mAh packs at 5A max, smaller 2100mAh ones 1A max). Could someone please confirm this power supply will work fine with 106b+.

Thanks for your help in advance and please excuse my noobness and English (not my native language).
simico is offline Find More Posts by simico
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:15 PM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,422 Posts
This is normal. The charger will let pack voltage go somewhat past max voltage as long as it has control of the cell voltages. The difference between pack voltage and sum ofl cell voltages is voltage drop in charge cables and connectors.

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:20 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simico View Post
Is this normal?
Yes.

Quote:
If yes, how can it be much higher than the sum of individual cell voltages measured on the balance lead?
Voltage drop between charger and battery. This is due to wire and connector resistance. If this drop becomes excessive, the charger will terminate with error. To keep the drop to a minimum, use short charge leads, heavy gauge wire (14AWG or better), and good connectors.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:34 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,378 Posts
Quote:
At the moment I'm using a cheap laptop AC adapter (outputs 12V and max 5A) to power the charger. I plan to get a proper power source and am looking at the VOLTCRAFT FSP 1207 fixed voltage laboratory power supply (Synchronised 11 - 15 V/DC, 7 A 105 W). I have the opportunity to get it at decent price and specs look good as far as I can tell (I'm charging my largest 7600mAh packs at 5A max, smaller 2100mAh ones 1A max). Could someone please confirm this power supply will work fine with 106b+.
Yes it will work but that is not a lot of power. You should allow 20% overhead for efficiency loss. So in theory you should not charge at more then 84W to ensure you don't overdraw the supply. That's pretty low for a charger that can do 250W. I would buy something bigger so you can charge that 7600mah pack at 7.6A.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:27 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
Thanks a lot for all of your fast responses, much appreciated

The Voltcraft has a 180W 12A version, thought that's stretching my current budget at 1.5x the price of the 7A version. I guess I save some money from elsewhere and buy the 12A version for peace of mind I know both is low for the 106b+, but the charger is a bit overkill for me in this regard because I do not ever want to charge at more than 5A - don't ask why, it's my personal stupid reason Longer charge time for the 7600 batteries is not a problem for me, even the batteries are overkill for my use (after 2 - 2.5 hours crawling they are still around 3.71V per cell).
Thanks again!
simico is offline Find More Posts by simico
Last edited by simico; Jul 23, 2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:42 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,522 Posts
Pick up a server power supply and mod it, or, if you don't want to mod it, you can buy one here from several sources already moded.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:13 PM
United States, PA, Gettysburg
Joined Mar 2011
346 Posts
Hey I'm new to this thread and just upgraded to a 206B. I bought it as part of a package. This is the package: http://www.progressiverc.com/the-ticket-350w-combo.html.

Just curious, did I make a good choice. Right now I fly mostly 3 and 4 cell batteries....................thanks
jeb6684 is offline Find More Posts by jeb6684
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:22 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb6684 View Post
Hey I'm new to this thread and just upgraded to a 206B. I bought it as part of a package. This is the package: http://www.progressiverc.com/the-ticket-350w-combo.html.

Just curious, did I make a good choice. Right now I fly mostly 3 and 4 cell batteries....................thanks
I hope you did because I did exactly the samething, it arrived yesterday and seem to work ok.
Great_Goose is offline Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:39 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
I bought the 106B / 220 watt package from Progressive and have had it for about 6 months with no issues. I think you made a good choice.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:31 PM
United States, PA, Gettysburg
Joined Mar 2011
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Goose View Post
I hope you did because I did exactly the samething, it arrived yesterday and seem to work ok.
Yeah I've been using mine to get all my batteries to storage charge when I am not using them. I couldn't do that with my old charger. So far I am very happy with the package, looking forward to trying it out in the field.
jeb6684 is offline Find More Posts by jeb6684
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:41 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Hi Guys

I'm currently researching how to setup an external capacity resistance to discharge my lipos faster. If I was to do such a thing, does the icharger tell me how much mAh the external capacity resistance has eaten aswell as what the icharger has eaten up?

What do people use as an external capacity resistance?
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:41 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evltoy View Post
If I was to do such a thing, does the icharger tell me how much mAh the external capacity resistance has eaten aswell as what the icharger has eaten up? What do people use as an external capacity resistance?
Same current goes through both (series), so the charger will display the correct mAh value.
There is a spreadsheet on page one, for resistance calculation.

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:51 AM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Thanks Fred. I'll look into it.
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy