HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined Oct 2011
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
The 306b like most high power chargers will not charge through the balance connector. The main leads must be connected. Getting some of those JST to XT60 adapters is what you need to do.
Perfect. Thanks!
syzygyQ is online now Find More Posts by syzygyQ
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Sep 2006
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Try lowering the charge current. Small 9V batteries can have extremely high internal resistance and voltage can shoot up quite dramatically when charge current is applied, as you have witnessed. Ensuring integrity of all connections and lowering charge current should correct this.

Mark
thanks for the reply. any ideas why the pc power supply is cutting out when the voltage peaks? i have tried charging at 0.050A, the lowest setting, and i get the same result.
cypher007 is offline Find More Posts by cypher007
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:48 PM
Joined Oct 2011
982 Posts
place holder
Last edited by syzygyQ; Jul 20, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:56 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,464 Posts
I saw that earlier tonight as well.

Tried different browsers and devices and came up with the same.

I'm sure Dale will have it fixed soon.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:34 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher007 View Post
thanks for the reply. any ideas why the pc power supply is cutting out when the voltage peaks? i have tried charging at 0.050A, the lowest setting, and i get the same result.
They are not designed with quickly changing loads in mind. Other problems are reported too, like overcharging: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10374
Look at the graph representing input voltage.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:55 AM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher007 View Post
Does the charger do this when powered by a battery?
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:28 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster View Post
My 106B+ fell victim to either a bad power supply, or someone accidentally plugging it into a 24v source. I now have a 206 on the way, so I figured I could attempt a repair.

I found Q26, but I can't seem to find D16. It isn't under the LCD is it? Edit: Found it

Edit: Is this the one people are using?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...9mb0NhwAMH4%3d

And is this Q26? Is the package SOT-323? Or SOT-23?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...AcSI9QFAnks%3d

Edit: Got the back off and it looks like U8 is a goner. Is it worth pursuing a repair, Junsi?
Please check the PM we have sent to you, thanks.

Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:38 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtaris View Post
Hi,

I wanted to use my new charger today but got a nasty surprise as it’s not working.
It reboots every 2-3 seconds and shows a message : “ERR: FLASH Memory”.

I flashed the firmware and tried the following ones : 3.12, 3.13, 3.14

3.14 : charger simply reboots with the error message and hangs (push buttons don’t work)
3.12,3.13: charger doesn’t reboot, the buttons and menu work, but when trying to start charging, after “Battery Check, Wait Please”, I get “ERR: FLASH Memory” again.
Sorry for the trouble caused, please check the PM we have sent, thanks for your cooperation.

Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:05 AM
Joined Oct 2011
982 Posts
306B -- First Impressions

Just unboxed the 306B. Wow, it looks great. The way form follows function is fantastic: (heat dissipation). Feels like the way they used to make things back in the day, original old school. I sure hope the performance lives up to the first impression: (I'm not turning it on until I've read and understood the manual). Being brand new to advanced power management and all. I don't like unexpected sparks, brown outs, or 'lil puffs of smoke and acrid smells. I don't love the smell of circuit boards burning in the morning.

I would like to know. Is the USB socket on the 306B supposed to be shallow with zero ergonomic feedback? I sure hope so, because it would be brutal to get the one 306B that has a wonky USB socket.
Last edited by syzygyQ; Jul 26, 2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:05 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Just a heads up and yes I knew better but forgot.

I have been using my 306B to parallel balance charge 4 each 300 mAh 2S Lipolys for my Blade 130X and today they seems a bit weaker than normal. I decided to check them on another charger and found that they were indeed out of balance by 0.3V which really surprised me until I checked its' setting and found that I had left it set to Balance at CV stage. 4 LiPolys of 300 each equals 1.2Ah and I charge them at 2 to 3C so 2.4 to 3.6A and it turns out that the 306B's balancing power just is not enought to balance these mixed packs during the CV stage only. After I set Balance to Start at Storage all is well again with the 306B.

I normaly set Balance to Start at Storage but had changed it many months ago when I was charging mostly 3S Lipolys which in fact rarely required any balancing at all. Just goes to show that one needs to keep an eye on things.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:28 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Just a heads up and yes I knew better but forgot.

I have been using my 306B to parallel balance charge 4 each 300 mAh 2S Lipolys for my Blade 130X and today they seems a bit weaker than normal. I decided to check them on another charger and found that they were indeed out of balance by 0.3V which really surprised me until I checked its' setting and found that I had left it set to Balance at CV stage. 4 LiPolys of 300 each equals 1.2Ah and I charge them at 2 to 3C so 2.4 to 3.6A and it turns out that the 306B's balancing power just is not enought to balance these mixed packs during the CV stage only. After I set Balance to Start at Storage all is well again with the 306B.

I normaly set Balance to Start at Storage but had changed it many months ago when I was charging mostly 3S Lipolys which in fact rarely required any balancing at all. Just goes to show that one needs to keep an eye on things.
This is very true, my 3S Lipos charge very fast and need little effort from the charger to balance the cells. The little 1S 160 mah UM batteries are a lot different. Although they need no balancing the CV stage takes much longer than the larger batteries, even when I charge them in parallel at a higher current setting.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:36 PM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,417 Posts
IMO, it's better to make sure the charger completes the balancing every time by following the advice in this snip from a post by Julez:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
- Balance speed slow
- Balance trickle on
- Li Balance: CV phase
(This will ensure perfectly balanced packs. The charger will not stop charging, before the packs are perfectly full and perfectly balanced. Good packs do not need a lot of balancing anyways, but trying to balance them before they reach the CV phase might actually cause imbalance as the internal resistance plays a role here, and so the overall charge and balance process might take longer.)
Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:46 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
I am aware of Julez parallelcharging recomendations and fully aware that he often chareged overnight at 1/10 C or so and has excellent results.

I posted

Quote:
4 each 300 mAh 2S Lipolys for my Blade 130X
and that I am charging at 2 to 3C and FYI this means a less than 30 min. charge and in fact most are between 15 and 20 minuteas . Using Balance trickle would extend the balancing time to the point it would make no sence to even charge at the field as most times I am there for less than 3 hours often less than 2.

Believe what you will but charging in parallel has its' disadvantages and ending up with some LiP{olys widly out of balance when charging at greater than 1C with a balancing circuite with limited power is one of them..

FWIW I Have been balancing LiPoys since before there were any commeicialy available Hobby RC balancers available unless you built your own and I have been very active in testing balancers ,chargers,balancing chargers over the past 8 years in addation to testing many brands of LiPolys and feel that I have a very good working knowledge of how to best manage LiPolys.

Over all when dealing with a varity of different quality LiPolys I have found that storage voltage is the best point to begin balancing. Yes iot is true that ythis at times causes unnecessary balancing which lengthens the total procress but so does balancing at any stage even CV if one if using preinum (real not claimed) LiPolys.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jul 21, 2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:59 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
Charles is different than the default settings?

I usually parallel charge packs at 5c, granted they are almost the same size, and haven't run into an issue.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:53 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,145 Posts
Suddenly Turnigy 5s 2200 mah is reading 3.6v on cell #4 and all others 3.85 on my 106B.I have checked the battery on a Hyperion eos checker and all is fine,then put it on my Acucell 6 and it also reads it correctly.I am apprehensive to use the I Charger on this battery because it is my thought it will overcharge this cell,has anybody had this problem.I am going to charge it up until that cell hits 4.10 and see what it reads i balance from storage.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug