HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:33 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Got a couple of 306b's

Any advantage of moving from 24 to 32 volts? The input voltage lists it up to 38 volts but the specs say 1000watts at 24volts.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:06 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Got a couple of 306b's

Any advantage of moving from 24 to 32 volts? The input voltage lists it up to 38 volts but the specs say 1000watts at 24volts.
None at all.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:45 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,438 Posts
TheWoodCrafter, are you sure?

I would have thought lower current on the input (one advantage), and less likely to run into problems at 30 amps on 6S as Vout nears Vin, something I've noted on my 3010b with a power supply charger. If the same issues for the 206b, it would be a second advantage.

I haven't tried it, but I was thinking the same thing.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:16 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
The 306B and the 3010B both give their maximum output at 24V input.
You will never get any more output no matter what.
Raising the input above 24V will not do anything.

I am positive.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:28 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post
The 306B and the 3010B both give their maximum output at 24V input.
You will never get any more output no matter what.
Raising the input above 24V will not do anything.

I am positive.
yeah thats what I figured, the 1000watts at 24v told me there would be no advantage but I figured I would ask anyways.

so when are going to see the 36 and 48v chargers?
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:49 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Raising the input voltage at the charger terminals above 24V will not increase the available output power but it will reduce the input current for any given output power. This will reduce voltage drop across the leads from the PS to the charger and increase efficiency in the input stage.

Pragmatically, it has no significant in terms of charging our packs.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:35 AM
Joined Nov 2011
8,438 Posts
Sorry guys, I'm not convinced. Charging at 6S at 30 amps, and as your lipos get near 25.2 volts, the server power supply I have is drooping down to 25.1 volts. So the charger is either going from buck to boost mode around 25.1 volts, or the charger can't produce an output voltage higher than the input voltage. (I am not sure about the 6, but I think the 10 can operate in boost mode). Either way, I get a charger error around here.

I haven't tested this out, but I suspect that this problem will disappear if I float two supplies, run three in series, and use ~36.4 volts on the input to the charger. Somebody else earlier in this thread had a similar problem, and Junsi recommended that he try using Pb battery on the input, and that solved it for him, too. If I charge 6S at 24 amps, I don't have this charger error problem, and so I've been charging at 24 amps max when I need to parallel charge my 4000 mah 6s packs.

I'm not trying to maximize output power, though I think charger efficiency may improve with a higher input voltage.

I am trying to reduce input current and eliminate an error I have with my power supplies by keeping the charger running in buck mode only.

If you don't have this problem charging 6S, it's probably not worth the trouble.

So, charger efficiency may go up, and I am pretty sure my 6S at 30 amp on server supply error will also disappear by going to nominal 36 volts.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:34 AM View Post
icando
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). Show it to me anyway.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:55 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
The iChargers can indeed charge packs to higher voltages than the input voltage,. after all you can charges a 10S (42V) pack from a 12V supply, just not at full power.

Charging 6S @ 30A means pulling around 33A (avg) from a 24V supply. Peak current draw could be somewhat higher, If your PS is struggling under the load then sure, going to 36V and about 22A may well help.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:16 AM
Poland
Joined Nov 2010
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6145k View Post
Charging at 6S at 30 amps, and as your lipos get near 25.2 volts, the server power supply I have is drooping down to 25.1 volts. So the charger is either going from buck to boost mode around 25.1 volts, or the charger can't produce an output voltage higher than the input voltage. (I am not sure about the 6, but I think the 10 can operate in boost mode). Either way, I get a charger error around here.
What error specifically?
Every iCharger is supposed to be buck-boost converter.

BTW I use iCharger 3010@36V just to limit input current.
LeszekJ is offline Find More Posts by LeszekJ
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:52 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
iCharger 208B Err: FLASH Memory

Hi,

I wanted to use my new charger today but got a nasty surprise as it’s not working.
It reboots every 2-3 seconds and shows a message : “ERR: FLASH Memory”.

I flashed the firmware and tried the following ones : 3.12, 3.13, 3.14

3.14 : charger simply reboots with the error message and hangs (push buttons don’t work)
3.12,3.13: charger doesn’t reboot, the buttons and menu work, but when trying to start charging, after “Battery Check, Wait Please”, I get “ERR: FLASH Memory” again.

Diagnostic => DOA (Dead On Arrival) ???

As I bought it from HobbyKing, and already had top pay over 40euro's to customs for it + shipping costs. I would like to know if there's any other way to fix it ?
As an electronic engineer student, I think it's probably briked but still. I know the memory used for the firmware and memory settings work fine. So it's probably the 16Mbit logfile memory with is causing error but the problem could be elsewhere.
(I did only find one single post reporting this error)

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me ?
Gtaris is offline Find More Posts by Gtaris
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:27 AM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndWho View Post
Hi All, A small warning.
Do NOT connect your 106B+ to a 12v output of a gas generator.
I did and got an "Input Overvoltage" warning. Checked the generator output with my DVM and it read about 16V. Strange I thought... and connected via an known good 12V ACDC adapter instead. Then I got the dreaded "Connection breakdown" msg when trying to start a Lipo charge. The 16v DC output of the generator must have been really dirty with a lot of high voltage peaks, destroying one of my two 106B+.

Thanks to Google and RCG I quickly found the cure, replaced D16 (20V zener BZV55-B20) and Q26 (BC807-40 ) and all is well again.

Beware. the 106b+ seems to be sensitive to input over voltage.
/A
My 106B+ fell victim to either a bad power supply, or someone accidentally plugging it into a 24v source. I now have a 206 on the way, so I figured I could attempt a repair.

I found Q26, but I can't seem to find D16. It isn't under the LCD is it? Edit: Found it

Edit: Is this the one people are using?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...9mb0NhwAMH4%3d

And is this Q26? Is the package SOT-323? Or SOT-23?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...AcSI9QFAnks%3d

Edit: Got the back off and it looks like U8 is a goner. Is it worth pursuing a repair, Junsi?
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
Last edited by Bigster; Jul 18, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:26 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6145k View Post
Sorry guys, I'm not convinced. Charging at 6S at 30 amps, and as your lipos get near 25.2 volts, the server power supply I have is drooping down to 25.1 volts. So the charger is either going from buck to boost mode around 25.1 volts, or the charger can't produce an output voltage higher than the input voltage. (I am not sure about the 6, but I think the 10 can operate in boost mode). Either way, I get a charger error around here.

I haven't tested this out, but I suspect that this problem will disappear if I float two supplies, run three in series, and use ~36.4 volts on the input to the charger. Somebody else earlier in this thread had a similar problem, and Junsi recommended that he try using Pb battery on the input, and that solved it for him, too. If I charge 6S at 24 amps, I don't have this charger error problem, and so I've been charging at 24 amps max when I need to parallel charge my 4000 mah 6s packs.

I'm not trying to maximize output power, though I think charger efficiency may improve with a higher input voltage.

I am trying to reduce input current and eliminate an error I have with my power supplies by keeping the charger running in buck mode only.

If you don't have this problem charging 6S, it's probably not worth the trouble.

So, charger efficiency may go up, and I am pretty sure my 6S at 30 amp on server supply error will also disappear by going to nominal 36 volts.
I would guess that the charger does not switch between buck and boost during the charge cycle. I would go ahead and add an extra power supply if your input voltage is hovering too close around the output voltage. It can't hurt anything right?
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:31 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,021 Posts
Of course it will toggle from buck to boost as it transitions through Vin = Vout. It should ride right through this with little fanfare though and the user should not be aware of it in any way.

Really curious to know the error that N6145k is experiencing. I'm sure Junsi is curious as well.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Of course it will toggle from buck to boost as it transitions through Vin = Vout. It should ride right through this with little fanfare though and the user should not be aware of it in any way.

Really curious to know the error that N6145k is experiencing. I'm sure Junsi is curious as well.

Mark
Others have seen it too. control error.

For me it only shows up when I am charging 6S at 30 amps as the battery voltage gets near the power supply voltage.

I suspect it is a problem with charger not liking the voltage regulation on the power supply as it goes from buck to boost. I believe it is at least possible that this is simply a firmware threshold issue in the 3010b. I.e., the firmware is declaring a control error because the voltage fluctuation exceeds some pre-programmed threshold, which may or may not be too conservative.

The problem doesn't happen when I charge 6s at 24 Amps.

Have you charged 6s at 30 amps on a 3010b, and if so, what power supply are you using?