HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:50 PM
fast,,,, faster
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,373 Posts
well i guess no answer on why im getting a low voltage signal on my 306b with life...i read all posts about low voltage on life but could not find any resolution..
so maybe one of the dealers on this site can help me please?????
thanks
Ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:57 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,449 Posts
What is the voltage of each cell within your pack as measured via the balance tap with a meter of known accuracy? Does this match the voltage as reported by your 306B in monitor mode?

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:27 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,363 Posts
Seems like about half of the time when users post low voltage errors they turn out to be on the supply (input ) not on the output (battery being charged side).

As Mark posted, monitor mode and each cell's voltage. Check balancing leads and main power (charge leads). Have you tried using a charged 12V car battery or a different known good power supply. Can you charge Lipolys OK. have you tried doing a Non Balanced charge?
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:54 PM
fast,,,, faster
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Seems like about half of the time when users post low voltage errors they turn out to be on the supply (input ) not on the output (battery being charged side).

As Mark posted, monitor mode and each cell's voltage. Check balancing leads and main power (charge leads). Have you tried using a charged 12V car battery or a different known good power supply. Can you charge Lipolys OK. have you tried doing a Non Balanced charge?
yes my lipos are charging.my power supply is producing 12.35volts.
no problem with any other battery but life.
Ben

Mark,with my e meter i checked all cells they are at 3.30 per cell 306 shows 9.9.for 3cells
Last edited by FASTBEN; Jul 09, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:40 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,449 Posts
That is horribly odd and I am at a loss to explain. If the 306B is set up for LiFe and both the main lead and balance lead are connected and each are making reliable contact, it should definitely not be giving an undervoltage error at 3.3V/cell.

Will it charge the LiFe without the balance lead attached?

Any way you can shoot a video or a few photos and post?

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:00 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,453 Posts
Used my charger a bunch this weekend and have decided there almost has to be something wrong with it. It over charges packs at random. It doesn't matter if they are small or large capacity, charged at a high c rate or less than 1c, parallel charged or charged single, balanced from cv stage or from storage stage it happens with every single combination at least part of the time.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:08 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,449 Posts
What is the typical individual cell voltage after charging as measured via the balance tap with a quality meter of known accuracy when you witness the overcharging?

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:10 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,924 Posts
I am also having weird problems with charging LiFE with my 106B+. The charger is a few years old and the firmware has never been updated since I got it.

Anyway, with balance charge mode, the charger brings the voltage up (charging at 2C) and the somehow, the balancer brings the voltage all the way down on 1 cell and keeps pushing the other one up past 3.60. This happened to more than 1 pack.

If I charge at less current, eg 0.8C or so, then the charge seems to work fine.

Now, why would the balancer keeps unloading 1 cell and keep pumping up the other? And always the same cell; I forgot whether it was cell 1 or 2, but it's always the same cell.

It's just a 2S flight battery, either 1100mAH or the 2300mAH. Happened to both types.

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:26 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelyser View Post
I too would like to use my 206B to charge some NiZn batteries I have acquired, is there a possible firmware update that could make this happen in the near future?
Some have charged two om them in series as 1S LiPo using storage mode (3.8V).
According to Junsi, possible range for max voltage/cell is 2.5-4.8V, so charging them with balancing might not be possible with the ICharger. He said limited by firmware, but i assume he meant hardware, since this was a reply to a suggestion for a firmware update: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
Used my charger a bunch this weekend and have decided there almost has to be something wrong with it. It over charges packs at random. It doesn't matter if they are small or large capacity, charged at a high c rate or less than 1c, parallel charged or charged single, balanced from cv stage or from storage stage it happens with every single combination at least part of the time.
Also when powered from your truck battery? Could you try to make a logfile with input voltage, cell voltage etc.?

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:53 AM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
What is the typical individual cell voltage after charging as measured via the balance tap with a quality meter of known accuracy when you witness the overcharging?

Mark
The cells always read with in 1mv of what my Fluke87 volt meter reads. If the charger stops at 4.27 I will read between 4.26 and 4.28 on the Fluke. The meter is used for work and has to be calibrated yearly because I read stuff down to the mv on a regular basis. so it's accuracy is known.

I have never tried to make a logfile I am assuming that's a feature that's built into the charger ? If the log file is built in I don't think I have a USB cable that will interface with the charger. Yes it happens when powered from my truck battery also.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:18 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,138 Posts
Quote:
I have never tried to make a logfile I am assuming that's a feature that's built into the charger ? If the log file is built in I don't think I have a USB cable that will interface with the charger. Yes it happens when powered from my truck battery also.
A USB cable is packed with all IChargers (a special one). Logging can be done by the charger or done 'live' if the charger is connected to a PC during charging. In both cases you need the Logview software to display the data.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:15 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,449 Posts
Quote:
The cells always read with in 1mv of what my Fluke87 volt meter reads. If the charger stops at 4.27 I will read between 4.26 and 4.28 on the Fluke. The meter is used for work and has to be calibrated yearly because I read stuff down to the mv on a regular basis. so it's accuracy is known.
Interesting. Assume that the lipoly termination voltage is set at factory default 4.20 volts? Also, does the iCharger show the same ~4.27 volts/cell in monitor mode when you have the overcharge condition?

You might try to make some small adjustments to the lipoly termination voltage to see if that makes any difference. I typically set my iChargers at 4.18V/cell to aid in lipoly preservation.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:31 PM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
993 Posts
Is there an adjustment for the storage voltage on 106B+, for Lipos?
Mine wants to terminate at 3.83 per cell.

It does it consistently, and the voltage is verified with a know meter. Same setup on my 306 terminates at 3.85. It's not a rebound effect from discharge, it does it from charge mode to storage too and is always 3.83, never 3.84, or 3.85 or any other value.
Normal balance charge mode is fine, just storage value is off a little.

I know I need something else to worry about, but still, it's not 3.85.
I read the manual, and other post, but can't find a termination adjustment to storage voltage. Is there one?
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:53 PM
fast,,,, faster
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,373 Posts
also there are times that my 306B gets so hot to the touch when i am taking the battery to storage voltage you think its about to blow up,the fan is running and i have to disconnect and put a external fan to cool it down...
oh boy..
Ben
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:57 PM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Interesting. Assume that the lipoly termination voltage is set at factory default 4.20 volts? Also, does the iCharger show the same ~4.27 volts/cell in monitor mode when you have the overcharge condition?

You might try to make some small adjustments to the lipoly termination voltage to see if that makes any difference. I typically set my iChargers at 4.18V/cell to aid in lipoly preservation.

Mark
I haven't compared the voltage between monitor mode and balance mode. I always just assumed it would read the same voltage no matter what mode it is in.