SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 12, 2012, 03:56 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
That's not what he is saying. If you want to power both the charger and the computer off the mains, then you will have to remove the grounding from one end of the USB cable.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 04:05 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
DaveK

I am aware you posted

Quote:
I can say unequivocally that I am using the correct USB cable
Humor me and take a meter and check that USB cable for continuity from shield to shield ( metal housings) on each end. It should be open and if it is not that either they sent you a standard one or some how you got it mixed up with others.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old May 12, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined May 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
tasa

You Maha has very positive battery connections . I use rare earth magnet charging cables myself but I solder the leads to steel washers and then place the magnets on the washer. The Magnet goes to the cell and the washer is thus on the back side of the magnet which in fact mages the magnet stronger.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1032225

Note The washer on the craft sick is merely a holder for this charging harness also not charger in photo will do node only charging.

Also you did not mention a discharge rate and I hope you realize that once the discharge terminates the displayed voltage will increase(bounch).

Charles
Hi Charles,

Are you implying that the 106 terminated early because of 'not-so-positive' connections? The discharge rate I used was 500mA (.25c of 2000mAh cell)
tasa is offline Find More Posts by tasa
Old May 12, 2012, 07:14 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasa View Post
Hi Charles,

Are you implying that the 106 terminated early because of 'not-so-positive' connections? The discharge rate I used was 500mA (.25c of 2000mAh cell)
Yes but as I was not present and did not use an DVM to measure the voltage drop (votage at the cell) I have no way of knowing for sure.

I have observed some trying to charge and or discharge Transmitter and receiver Ni batteries thru a 36" long 28 gage leads with not so great connectors and then they complanded abput early charge and or discharge termination.
Charles
Old May 13, 2012, 12:05 AM
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Jun 2004
39 Posts
USB issues with 208B

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
DaveK

I am aware you posted

Humor me and take a meter and check that USB cable for continuity from shield to shield ( metal housings) on each end. It should be open and if it is not that either they sent you a standard one or some how you got it mixed up with others.

Charles
Charles, did as you suggested. Verified no connectivity between shielding at big and small ends. Unfortunately I don't currently have probes small enough to check the ground pins inside the shields, would you recommend that next?

Thanks,

Dave.
DaveK is offline Find More Posts by DaveK
Old May 13, 2012, 07:43 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunately I don't currently have probes small enough to check the ground pins inside the shields, would you recommend that next?

That should not be necessary I do not believe. I would just use a battery to power the charger during updating and not worry about it. Surely you have some Ni,LiPolys,LiFePO4, Pb around that are small / portable anda voltage range capable of powering the charger.

The computer I use for updating most of my chargers has a sticker on its' front which says Caution ! Use Battery For Charger Updates.

This is not necessary for all chargers but is simple insurance. Even if a ground loop is not an issue having the charger or computer lose power during an update can brick (kill) some chargers. My desktop computers are on UPS units so no issue with poer for them however the power supplies I use for the chargers are not on UPS unit and only sometimes on a deep cycle Pb source.

Sorry sometimes I miss the real issue.

Quote:
I would like to have both the PS and the computer on household A/C and be able to use logview without having to resort to powering the charger from a battery
Now I see your real concern is using LogView which perhaps you will be using for hours on end unlike merely a few minutes for updating.

Some users of other chargers with ground loop issues went to using a USB Hub which is optically isolated.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; May 13, 2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old May 13, 2012, 10:33 AM
Joined Jun 2004
39 Posts
Charles - yep, you nailed it at the end. One of the joys of electronic communications is that I though I was being clear, then re-reading my own posts I see that I could and should have been more specific about what exactly it was that I was trying to do.

So, yes, I want to be able to l use logview for potentially longer that I would be able to using a battery to either power the charger or to power the laptop.

Recommendations for either an inexpensive isolated USB cable or hub? Everything I'm seeing is running about $100.00.
Old May 13, 2012, 05:22 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,583 Posts
This one works well. Been using it on my Hyperion Super Duo for about a year without a glitch.
Less than 40 bucks.
Doesn't need an external supply with my PC and the Super Duo.

http://microcontrollershop.com/produ...oducts_id=3769

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Charles - yep, you nailed it at the end. One of the joys of electronic communications is that I though I was being clear, then re-reading my own posts I see that I could and should have been more specific about what exactly it was that I was trying to do.

So, yes, I want to be able to l use logview for potentially longer that I would be able to using a battery to either power the charger or to power the laptop.

Recommendations for either an inexpensive isolated USB cable or hub? Everything I'm seeing is running about $100.00.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old May 13, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Jun 2004
39 Posts
Charles and John, thanks for the help. I'll be getting the isolator some time this week.

I promise to try and be more clear next time. Yep, with my extremely limited knowledge there will be a next time...

Fwiw, this is my first "real" charger, that is one that isn't a wall-wart or automotive battery charger type. I'm just now getting back into RC following a break since 1994 due to kids and the military. I figured I better get a charger first and figure out how to use it.

When I started looking for a charger I went looking for one that be able to handle Nimh/Nicd for my son's RC cars and Airsoft gear, but would also be able to do any of the lithium chemistry types currently out there with the intent being to buy more charger than I could imagine needing any time soon, so that's how I got to the 208B.

After all this I think it would have been nice if Progressive and EP Buddy would possibly carry an isolator and a note summarizing what I've learned, namely that
1.) You can operate the charger in standalone mode using whatever power source you want and it will work great. Depending on what you have powering your computer and the charger you may not be able to update firmware or run logview due to ground loop.

2.) In order to update the charger firmware or use logview you must either power the charger or the computer with a battery or have the USB connection isolated. If you chose to operate both with power originating from 120 VAC, you must use an isolator of some sort for the USB connection - either an isolated USB cord or USB hub. Otherwise your computer will not recognize that the charger is connected.
Old May 14, 2012, 06:32 AM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Charles and John, thanks for the help. I'll be getting the isolator some time this week.

I promise to try and be more clear next time. Yep, with my extremely limited knowledge there will be a next time...

Fwiw, this is my first "real" charger, that is one that isn't a wall-wart or automotive battery charger type. I'm just now getting back into RC following a break since 1994 due to kids and the military. I figured I better get a charger first and figure out how to use it.

When I started looking for a charger I went looking for one that be able to handle Nimh/Nicd for my son's RC cars and Airsoft gear, but would also be able to do any of the lithium chemistry types currently out there with the intent being to buy more charger than I could imagine needing any time soon, so that's how I got to the 208B.

After all this I think it would have been nice if Progressive and EP Buddy would possibly carry an isolator and a note summarizing what I've learned, namely that
1.) You can operate the charger in standalone mode using whatever power source you want and it will work great. Depending on what you have powering your computer and the charger you may not be able to update firmware or run logview due to ground loop.

2.) In order to update the charger firmware or use logview you must either power the charger or the computer with a battery or have the USB connection isolated. If you chose to operate both with power originating from 120 VAC, you must use an isolator of some sort for the USB connection - either an isolated USB cord or USB hub. Otherwise your computer will not recognize that the charger is connected.
I know you'll get your issue squared away soon, but I did want to point out that it is possible to use iCharger and PC both plugged in to 120 VAC with the USB connection to Logview working.

I've used a few different power supplies for the iChargers, and currently have two separate iChargers and power supplies both connected to one PC and the USB port works fine, even for both at the same time using only the original iCharger USB cables without any isolator to the USB connection.

Just saying, it will work as advertised and probably does for most.
The experts on here will help to get yours working too.
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old May 14, 2012, 06:41 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,583 Posts
And just one more piece of info.

I added the Opto isolator not to get the charger to work but to avoid frying it or the PC.

There have been a few experiences where the ground loop through the PC USB cord has allowed large currents to flow in either the charger or the USB port in the PC. Smoke ensues.

There is a description in the Hyperion Software Suite help file that explains what can happen. I suspect the iCharger may be susceptible as well but I have never investigated it.

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/pc/ecds-...reyoustart.htm
Bottom of the page.

This is quite apart from any noise issues that the ground circuit may introduce and upset the serial comms.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_99 View Post
I know you'll get your issue squared away soon, but I did want to point out that it is possible to use iCharger and PC both plugged in to 120 VAC with the USB connection to Logview working.

I've used a few different power supplies for the iChargers, and currently have two separate iChargers and power supplies both connected to one PC and the USB port works fine, even for both at the same time using only the original iCharger USB cables without any isolator to the USB connection.

Just saying, it will work as advertised and probably does for most.
The experts on here will help to get yours working too.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old May 14, 2012, 06:55 AM
Joined May 2012
1 Posts
if its 200W max does it really charge 10S at 10amp?
squoll is offline Find More Posts by squoll
Old May 14, 2012, 07:29 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
What ones needs to understand is that with charger spec. they really mean up to 10A max, and up to 10S max. or 200 watts max not all.

A 10S equals 42 volts . 200 watts / 42 = 4.76 amps.

A 3S is 12.6V thus 200 / 12.6 = 15.87A however the max. in amps is 10 so in fact a 3S at 12.6 X 10a(charger's max.) = 126 watts.

These rules apply to all chargers. I have often posted that one needs to understand the specs. and pay more attation to the max. watts.

MAny purchase a $30 5A charger expecting to charge a 3 or 4 cell Lipoly at 5A only later to find out that 50 watts will only charge a 3S at 3.9A and a 4S at 2.97A. Even worse is the discharge abilitie of many such 50 watt chargers as many are limites to 25 watts or less discharge rates which means discharging a 4S 3300 or larger to Storage is going to take awhile.

Charles

Charles
Old May 14, 2012, 05:51 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
A good way to look at it is take the 3 values; Max Amps, Max Cell & Max Watts of the charger. Put it into your configuration and whichever values hits its Max is your limit for that config.

The limitation of one value will affect the other 2 vaules.
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Old May 17, 2012, 03:55 AM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
My Plan with Pb Batteries

Hi Guys

Iím hoping someone can pin point any problems or advise me a better solution to a plan I have in mind. Your help & knowledge to answer any of my questions will be much appreciated.

I have been lucky enough to acquirer some Pb Batteries. I have in hand the following:
2x CSB GP12170 (12V 18000mAh) Ė currently in serial setup
http://www.csb-battery.com/english/0...p?fid=5&pid=13

Here is my cunning plan
I plan to test the 2 GP12170 Batteries to make sure they are ok and rewire them into parallel.

While at the field I was thinking to use my icharger 106B+ and the GP12170 to charge my 6S 2650mAh lipos.
My question are:
- Is my max charge rate limited to only 6A as the max DC input current for the 106 is 6A?
- How many Lipos (80% discharge) do you think I will be able to charge from the fully charged Pb? Would it be 36000/2100 = 17 Lipos
- What setting should I set in my charger to make sure I donít stress or over discharge my Pb? Safety Timer:40mins, Capacity cut off:2200, Input Limit:5.0-6.0A & 10.00v.

After a days flying and my flight packs are discharge, I would charge all my packs to full peak via AC power. After this I plan to discharge all my packs through the Regenerative Option to the Pb I had used at the field. Other then setting regen to; On, current limit to; 4or5A and Limit to; 14v.. is there anything else Iím missing or doing wrong?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post

Cheers
evltoy
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy