HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:20 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeszekJ View Post
ICharger adjusts current to actual pack parameters (IR specifically).
So, when performing IR measurement, your iCharger will draw less current from a cell with higher IR than a cell with low IR, indicating that the load is approximately static?

More data please.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:03 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
I have a thread here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1623680
Where basically I have an icharger 208b and would like to know if/how I can tell the mah of a generic no label battery that came with my plane. Is there a way to check mah with this icharger? If so can someone give me some basic instructions. Thanks.
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:24 AM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,044 Posts
you could just charge it up to full capacity 4.2 per cell. then discharge until all cells are 3.7 per cell. read the mAh taken out and thats your 80% there. ???
evltoy is online now Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:04 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
just ordered another one of these little 106B+ ichargers ... very nice
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:11 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
Where do you read mah taken out of it on charger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by evltoy View Post
you could just charge it up to full capacity 4.2 per cell. then discharge until all cells are 3.7 per cell. read the mAh taken out and thats your 80% there. ???
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:20 AM
United States, VA, Berryville
Joined May 2010
363 Posts
Hey guys. I just got a Icharger 306B and when charging off a 12v battery at the field what kind should I get? will be charging three 4s 3300 and two 6s 3300. I know i must have a deep cycle battery but after that I am not sure what to ask for.
kellyzo6 is offline Find More Posts by kellyzo6
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:29 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyzo6 View Post
Hey guys. I just got a Icharger 306B and when charging off a 12v battery at the field what kind should I get? will be charging three 4s 3300 and two 6s 3300. I know i must have a deep cycle battery but after that I am not sure what to ask for.
The biggest AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) deep cycle battery that you can lug around.

They're significantly more expensive than old-style "wet" lead acid batteries, but also far safer.

I suggest avoiding the "gel" type. They are more fragile than AGM, despite being somewhat more expensive again.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:39 AM
Joined May 2010
363 Posts
Thanks for helping!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:55 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Joined Jan 2011
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyzo6 View Post
Thanks for helping!
No problem. By my reckoning your lead acid battery would need to be somewhere in the 30Ah ballpark just to charge that stuff once - and deplete itself fully during the process.

The deep cycle variety have solid (and heavy!) lead plates that make them more tolerant of deep discharging than the more traditional "cranking" batteries with their mesh/honeycomb plates, but they still don't like being discharged more than 50%, especially if it's done regularly. Hence, your battery would need to be around 60Ah to safely charge all that lipo gear many times over without an undue risk of premature failure due to over-discharging.

~100Ah batteries tend to be popular in the boating scene, and therefore potentially cheaper per amp-hour. A marine AGM deep cycle 100Ah battery will weigh somewhere around 30kg.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:06 AM
Joined May 2010
363 Posts
Thanks again. Looks like i will be shopping for a battery this weekend
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:12 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syner01 View Post
Where do you read mah taken out of it on charger?
Look at this picture: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2161973
It's the value in the middle of the bottom line ("00003"). It always displays capacity (mAh) during charge or discharge.

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:56 PM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Query?
I only fly smaller helis and have been powering my 106b+ with a 12v 5a supply into the plug input. Have input max set to 5a and charge set auto and discharge at max 20w. I can charge fine at 5a but when I try to discharge at even 4.5a it ramps to that value and then drops back to 2.4a - 2.5a where it remains. Why can I charge at the max input but not discharge at that value? Trying to break in some small 1s packs.
Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:14 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Joined Jan 2011
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw View Post
Query?
I only fly smaller helis and have been powering my 106b+ with a 12v 5a supply into the plug input. Have input max set to 5a and charge set auto and discharge at max 20w. I can charge fine at 5a but when I try to discharge at even 4.5a it ramps to that value and then drops back to 2.4a - 2.5a where it remains. Why can I charge at the max input but not discharge at that value? Trying to break in some small 1s packs.
Amp
Because the charger's maximum discharge and charge limits are not the same. I don't know the exact numbers for a 106B, but it'll be capable of 100W+ charging.

It's discharging is limited to 20W or so, because the charger cannot hope to absorb all that energy in any way except by turning it into heat and bleeding it off into the air via its aluminium body and cooling fan. Think of the heat produced by an incandescent 100W light bulb, and then remember that heat is actually just a waste byproduct in the bulb's case. If it wasn't trying to convert most of that 100W to light, the bulb would be hotter still.

The iChargers can actually do two other clever things to enable discharging at faster rates:

Regenerative discharging - if the power source is a large battery (lead acid for example), the charger can be configured to feed the unwanted energy back thataway during discharging.

External resistor discharging - if you supply (buy) a large external resistor capable of handling the requisite power level (there's a spreadsheet in the very first post of this thread), the iCharger can leverage that external resistor to speed up the discharge.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:56 PM
Florence Italy
Joined Dec 2009
748 Posts
I want to thank Junsi for to have replace mi burned 106b very very fast shipping!!!
Thanks Junsi!
magrinsi is online now Find More Posts by magrinsi
Old Apr 02, 2012, 03:44 PM
Earth's Mightiest Hero, KC9TBO
United States, IL, Lemont
Joined Apr 2010
284 Posts
Thanks, EPBuddy

I also must thank Dale at EPBuddy for helping me with my 106B+! Thanks for the great support!
Zahnarzt is offline Find More Posts by Zahnarzt