I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Some how you put my name on Marks quote/snip

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=12133
Sorry. Fixed. I control-Ved the wrong quote tag.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:37 AM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
I have a quick question about the 206B and max charge rate.

It states the Maximum charge power capacity is 300W with an input voltage of 18V from PS.

What would its max charge power capacity be if the PS was only a 13.8v 23A?

Is there a formula to work this out?
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:07 AM
Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
449 Posts
(Input volts) x (21 amps max) x (.9 efficiency)

13.8 x 21 x .9 = 261 watts

Cheers
crusey_aus is offline Find More Posts by crusey_aus
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:11 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evltoy View Post
I have a quick question about the 206B and max charge rate.

It states the Maximum charge power capacity is 300W with an input voltage of 18V from PS.

What would its max charge power capacity be if the PS was only a 13.8v 23A?

Is there a formula to work this out?
Yes, there is also a nice graph in the manual showing max power as a function of input voltage. Basically it's the max input current that limits max power. If max input current is, lets say 20A, according to the specs, max input power for 13.8V will be 276W (13.8V * 20A), and max charge power will be ~90% of this. As input voltage is increased, these values will increase.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:21 AM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
thanks a heap guys. I'm tossing up if I buy 206B or just another 106B+
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined Dec 2009
126 Posts
What makes the 106B+ so much better than say the Turnigy A-6-10 200W Balance charger & discharger found here: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ischarger.html
qwerty11 is offline Find More Posts by qwerty11
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:23 AM
Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
449 Posts
Heaps more functions and charging options

Have a read of both manuals

Cheers
crusey_aus is offline Find More Posts by crusey_aus
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:42 AM
Joined Dec 2009
126 Posts
What is so good about that extra functinality though? My goals are to be able to ballance, charge, and discharge.
qwerty11 is offline Find More Posts by qwerty11
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:19 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty11 View Post
What makes the 106B+ so much better than say the Turnigy A-6-10 200W Balance charger & discharger found here: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ischarger.html

What makes steak better than hamburger?

I realize that there are tens of thousands using HK brand chargers and are happy with them. I have always believe in the old saying, Buy cheap and buy twice.

I use some items from HK and know full well that the quality is hit and mis but I will not use questionable quality lax QC chargers to charge LiPoly batteries, IMO it is just false economy and dangerious to do so.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:12 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,605 Posts
Quote:
It sort of depends on one's personal preferences a lot.
The cheap chargers may work fine, but there is no support, no upgrades and little to no help with them.

But the iCharger has support from the company, and they offer firmware updates from time to time for those who need them. You can even mail them back to the factory for repair too. Albeit it could be expensive to ship them back.

But the main feature I like to use is the external resistor load discharge function. I can hook up a 3.2 ohm or 5 ohm high power resistor to the charger to use to discharge my big packs with. This is to bring them back down to their storage charge level. I don't think anyone else has that feature on their Lipo chargers.
The internal discharge function is weak on most all of the brands of chargers as the chargers can only drain at about a 1 amp rate from the battery pack and the chargers can get quite hot doing so too. So using a external load works great and you don't have to sit there and manually monitor it either.

You might think a discharge function is no big deal. But if you crashed or damaged whatever it was you were using and you had a couple or three bigt Lipo packs all charged up, and you couldn't just use the battery packs to run them down, then you are stuck.

Another feature you don't see on Lipo chargers much is the "Hot Wire" function letting you use the iCharger to run a hot wire setup for cutting foam to make wings, et cetera. The Hot Wire function also works well as a way to help discharge Lipo packs too. There is a thread here someplace that goes into detail for that method.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:15 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,471 Posts
A 106B+ will charge a lipoly much faster than a Turnigy A-6-10. The iChargers have charge lead voltage drop compensation and will stay in CC mode much longer than a Turnigy charger, leading to shortened charge times. This is especially true at higher charge currents and if using long charge leads.

One other MAJOR benefit of the iCharger is the fact that it has the ability to accurately measure individual cell internal resistance of your lipolys. This allows you to immediately determine the quality of any lipoly pack and use it as a basis of comparison to other packs. Read more about internal resistance here and here.

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:26 PM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
What is so good about that extra functinality though? My goals are to be able to ballance, charge, and discharge.
not only extra functionality (foam cut, monitor, regenerative discharge...), but while icharger doing measurement , turnigy only estimate values.
xener is offline Find More Posts by xener
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:38 PM
Poland
Joined Nov 2010
462 Posts
The current waveform during lipo IR testing (iCharger 3010B, 2500mAh 1S lipo cell, balancer wires connected, IR=6mΩ). Peak current 11.3A, pulse duration ~320ms.
ICharger adjusts current to actual pack parameters (IR specifically).
LeszekJ is offline Find More Posts by LeszekJ
Last edited by LeszekJ; Mar 29, 2012 at 07:03 PM. Reason: specifically
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:50 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeszekJ View Post
ICharger adjusts current to actual pack parameters.
Which parameters specifically?
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member