HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:12 AM
Ignint McNugget
behind Jaggi lines
Joined Jan 2004
907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeDiver View Post
From the very first moment on, I thought it was a parallel board.
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate mistake.

30 seconds with an ohmmeter would have sorted out the balance board for you. Even quicker than reading through Google results!
Rumple is offline Find More Posts by Rumple
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Feb 2006
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Have you checked all of you main and balancing leads connection real good?
Have you read the FAQ pdf file from first pot of thread?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...4&d=1303460549

Standard reply from junsi is update to latest firmware Rev.

Charles
Thanks Charles, I'll check. I really like these chargers but have had poor luck with everyone I've owned. Correct me if I'm wrong please, iirc the usb cable is NOT a standard usb cable is that correct?
b1bone is offline Find More Posts by b1bone
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:05 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreck3r View Post
Did some more measuring and it seems that those CV stages are at the same level every time (when comparing with other charging curves) and every 0.030/0.031 V.
Doesn't look like real CV-stages. The charger doesn't adjust current to keep voltage constant. Probably related to voltage measurement issues.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:24 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,739 Posts
Quote:
usb cable is NOT a standard usb cable is that correct?
Correct it has the shield groud open(disconnected) , however if yo use a battery powered Laptop not connected to AC power ,or if you power the charger with a battery such as a 3S LiPoly then you can iuse a regular USB cable.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Mar 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
Doesn't look like real CV-stages. The charger doesn't adjust current to keep voltage constant. Probably related to voltage measurement issues.

Fred
The thing is that it's doing the same thing on Amp curve. Is this normal? Can anyone confirm this?

wreck3r is offline Find More Posts by wreck3r
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:21 AM
Italy
Joined Oct 2005
226 Posts
FOR JUNSI ENGINEER

I wonder if when I use the "STORAGE function" the battery must be charged or discharged?

I must start in a few words from a battery charge or discharge?
galaxy1 is offline Find More Posts by galaxy1
Last edited by galaxy1; Mar 22, 2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:39 AM
Joined Mar 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy1 View Post
FOR JUNSI ENGINEER

I wonder if when I use the "STORAGE function" the battery must be charged or discharged?

I must start in a few words from a battery charge or discharge?
The manual states that, depending on SOC (state of charge) of the battery the charger will discharge or charge to reach the storage voltage. To find out if your battery is under or over this value, simply press Batt type for 3 seconds and read out the Vout value. Then, by reading the manual, compare your value with the one stated in the manual: LiIo 3.75V/cell, LiPo 3.85/cell and LiFe 3.3V/cell.
wreck3r is offline Find More Posts by wreck3r
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:50 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,739 Posts
During Store charger will show if it is Charging or Discharging.

As I have posted numerious times best way to learn a charger is to use it and spend some time watching its' display.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:48 PM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumple View Post
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate mistake.

30 seconds with an ohmmeter would have sorted out the balance board for you. Even quicker than reading through Google results!
Well, I was lucky.... afterall
The brand new pack its balance cable did smoke and it gave no reading anymore....so one 'pin' gone.

Added new one...and hopsa...all is fine again!
I charged and discharged the pack at the iCharger and IR reading are 4mOhm, 4mOhm, 4mOhm. So pack is okay

Need to order a real parallel board now...and in fact two...for the other charger
TreeDiver is offline Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:11 AM
Italy
Joined Oct 2005
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreck3r View Post
The manual states that, depending on SOC (state of charge) of the battery the charger will discharge or charge to reach the storage voltage. To find out if your battery is under or over this value, simply press Batt type for 3 seconds and read out the Vout value. Then, by reading the manual, compare your value with the one stated in the manual: LiIo 3.75V/cell, LiPo 3.85/cell and LiFe 3.3V/cell.
I knew that. I read the manual.
I meant to say is, for better preservation of the battery is better to use the procedure 1 or 2?

the chemistry of the battery reacts better if the function "storage" is used in mode 1 or 2?

in factory as what they do? fully charge the battery and then discharge it in storage, or charge it directly in storage?
galaxy1 is offline Find More Posts by galaxy1
Old Mar 23, 2012, 05:08 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,739 Posts
Splitting hairs,makes no difference. If you want 1/2 a tank of gas does it matter if the tank is 20% full and 30% is added or is 60% full and 10% is removed?

LiPoly Storage Voltage is Not That Critical of a Voltage / % level.

A good range is 3.7 to 4.0 per cell.

I am the one ,that's right Me -AKA Every Day Flyer who esteblished 3.85 as the standard many years ago.

Why did I chose 3.85 ,well because it is exactly in the middle of that range. If you are over or under a little then you are still good, if your DVM,charger's reading,cell checker etc. if off a little you are still good.

FYI Very,very few really want to know all of the best LiPoly Storage / handeling .practices as they require to much time and effort. Would you be willing to rotate your LiPolys every few months, store in airtight containers at 45Feven if you use them weekly, never put a lable on them and use a ball point pen to add data to the label, never use velcro on them ,etc.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 23, 2012 at 05:14 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 06:50 AM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
what with not using velcron?
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Mar 23, 2012, 06:59 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
Hello,

I've been using the iCharger 1010B+ over the last 4 month now, and so far, I did'nt experienced any problem, except yesterday.

I've been trying to charge my Transmiter pack LiFe 3S(9,9V)1500mAh 1C (from HobbyKing) using the balanced mode and, here is what it tells me when I switch the balance port on:
-----------------------------------
LiFe BALANCE CHG
1.5A Vout Over
-----------------------------------

"AUTO" changes to "Vout Over" when switching the balance port on,
while I was expecting "9.9V (3S)"

If I'm trying to charge anyway, I have this 5 times error beep and it obviously answers this:
----------------------------------
BATTERY CHECK
OVER VOLTAGE

Using the Inc button, I got this:
Output
Voltage 9.88V

Today, I've only been able to recharge on the non balanced mode.
As far as I can remember, I have already recharged this Tx Pack once, several weeks ago, but I can not precisely remember whether it was using the balance mode or not.

At the same time, I still have no problems at all with the 2 other packs I have (LiFe 6S 16,5V 4200mAh)

I must admit that I'm quite a newbie with this charger.
Thus, if anybody here has an idea about what's going wrong or has already experienced this, can you please let me know how to solve this.

Thank's very much indeed for any help
skreo56 is offline Find More Posts by skreo56
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:07 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,739 Posts
Quote:
what with not using velcron?

Such questions and answers really belong in a LiPoly care / feeding thread not in the iCharger Thread but simnple answeris.

LiPolys as used in aircraft are in a very fragile aluminum envelop (housing) and any pressure exerted against them leads to deformation which cause pressure point between the anode / seperator (insulator) and cathode which leads to accelerated growth of salt crystales which caused increased cell IR and hot spots.

I use to post that LiPolys should be handled like raw eggs in thier shells or fine china but as I posted above most do not want to hear such or they feel I am being absurd.

Never mind about the allmost daily post asking if this bent,creased,smashed up link an accordion's beloow is still OK to use and most saying that they have many worse than that they have been using for years.

Most see me as just a memeber here and perhaps knows very little at all so why should be pay much attation to anything I post.

Perhaps if I provide a link to someone who is better know they will believe but then most do not bother to use links. I guess they do not realoze that it takes effort to finf post provide links etc. or they are just in to big of a hurry and want the short answer which they will then question.Lord knows most will never ever learn to use the Search Function or even Google other than as a means to find RC Groups Batteries and Chargers.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...13&postcount=1

Snip ,use link for more data

Quote:
The other accelerator is the presence of "hangar rash" on the cells due to continuous handling and ding marks that cause salt crystals to start forming at pressure points. This is the primary reason for using IMPAD around packs to protect against impact. In other words, avoid the temptation to scrape a thumbnail over that envelope to see if it springs back!
What happens when you press velcro to the LiPoly ,then press batteries velcro on to mating velcro in the plane ,then place a velcro strap around it and pul tight l, fly undue strap and pry velcros apart.
Remember the LiPoly is also being sudjected to G forces during acrobatic flight and then some have the nerve to ask why thier LiPoy died so early?

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 23, 2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:00 AM
The art of airbrush
Österreich
Joined Jul 2010
83 Posts
Balance port smoke

In a moment of madness I've connected my Turnigy 1500mAH 3s LiFePo Transmitter battery correct to the 3s balancer connector on my 106b and then with the 2s connector I've solder on to +/- for my Turnigy 9x to the 2s balancer port instead to the power port. The 9.9V to the 2s Balancer Port gave a little bad smell and now I get the balancer error when I connect a LiPo to the balancer port regardless which one. Any idea what to check????
rcpaintworks is offline Find More Posts by rcpaintworks