SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:34 PM
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Dec 2002
350 Posts
I agree with Saberjock, I could live without all the options " whistles and bells" packed into the iChargers. And I would love more accuracy on the balance port on the other hand.
norbique is offline Find More Posts by norbique
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Mar 2010
19 Posts
reverse polarity check ???

Hello,
I've bought the iCharger 106b+ a year ago.
Today when i plug the iCharger 106b+ to the power AC/DC (as always) the iCharger write: "Reverse polarity check" and start to beep.
I don't plug the lipo.
I've been check that, while the error message is on, if i plug a lipo in the main port (not in the balance port) it stops and the iCharger start to work well.

how can I solve this problem ???
Please help me!

Thanks
Avistar87 is offline Find More Posts by Avistar87
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:33 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Got my resistor loads setup this weekend and it worked really well once I had the load on the positive cell.

Anyways since current takes rye path of least resistance I used some metal screws to hold the resistors down where I soldered. Since I soldered to the metal tabs I shouldn't run into any resistance sikes should I?
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:37 PM
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
417 Posts
Difficulty discharging to storage voltage of 3.85 volts/cell

There has been lots of discussion of discharging lipos at a higher rate than the internal resistance can handle (as in above posting), but I am having a different problem.

I bought my icharger 106B+ a month ago. I have 1300 mAh 3 cell lipos and 350 mAh 2 cell lipos. When I try the "Storage" function on these fully-charged lipos at a current setting of 1amp, the charger starts discharging them but then stops when the cells reach 3.95 volts. At that point, the charger beeps and indicates that it is done. I have tried this many times and have always gotten the same result. I have increased the amp level to 2 amps and decreased it to .5 amps and always get the same result. The charger stops discharging at 3.95 volts/cell.

I have tried the "Storage" function on a 350 mAh battery that was discharged to about 3.70 volts/cell, and it charged that battery up to the expected 3.85 volts/cell.

Does anyone have an idea of why I can't make the discharge to storage level function work?

Thanks,.

Ray
RayPB is offline Find More Posts by RayPB
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:59 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Sounds like it is working just fine to me. The exact end voltage is not important, there is nothing magical about 3.85V, anything in the range of about 3.75 to 3.95 is OK.

Have you monitored the per-cell voltages during discharge? It is possible that under load the voltage on at least one cell reaches 3.85V but that at rest it bounces back to 3.95V.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:05 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
If you want them discharged closer to 3.85 no load / resting voltage then set Discharge reduce to 10%.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:10 PM
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
Sounds like it is working just fine to me. The exact end voltage is not important, there is nothing magical about 3.85V, anything in the range of about 3.75 to 3.95 is OK.

Have you monitored the per-cell voltages during discharge? It is possible that under load the voltage on at least one cell reaches 3.85V but that at rest it bounces back to 3.95V.
I have watched the cell voltage on the charger while discharging. I don't think I have ever seen it drop below 3.92 volts on a cell. Frequently, the cells bounce back from 3.95 to 4.00 volts.

As you probably have guessed, I'm trying to lower the cells' voltage so I can store my lipos so they don't deteriorate over time. I have read that 3.85 volts/cell is the best voltage at which to store lipos, but I also have friends who tell me they always store their lipos at full charge and never have had a problem. 3.85 - 3.95 may indeed be OK for storing lipos, but the charger manual says it discharges to 3.85 volts/cell, not somewhere in the 3.85 - 3.95 range. Is it possible that I am expecting too much precision from the charger? (I certainly expect it to be more precise when it is charging/balancing my lipos) Are others having the same results, ie not discharging to 3.85 volts?

everydayflyer - Your post arrived while I was typing the above...I don't see any way to adjust the "discharge to storage" voltage. I do see a "Discharge" function. Are you suggesting that I use the Discharge function to discharge the cells to 3.46 volts/cell (10% less than 3.85 volts/cell)? Thanks.

Ray
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:27 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
In the setting menu there is a Discharge Reduce which can be set . During charging the the desired voltage is reached be it 3.85 4.2 or any other user set voltage the charge rate does not just stop but is reduced (tapered) CV stage until C/10 C/3 whatever is reached.

By setting Discharge reduce same thing happens during discharge.
Example if discharg is set for 2A then storage 3.85 per cell which for a 3S is really 11.55 the 2A load is removed and discge is complete and voltage spring up.With Discharge Reduce set at 10% when 3S reaches 11.55 the discharge rate of 2A starts to taper down but discharge does not end until discharge rate is reduced to 0.2A (1/10 or 10%) of set discharge rate.

All of this is in the Owner's Manual believe it or not and has been explaned many times in this thread but many seem to fail to find it.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jan 30, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:09 PM
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
In the setting menu there is a Discharge Reduce which can be set . During charging the the desired voltage is reached be it 3.85 4.2 or any other user set voltage the charge rate does not just stop but is reduced (tapered) CV stage until C/10 C/3 whatever is reached.
All of this is in the Owner's Manual believe it or not and has been explaned many times in this thread but many seem to fail to find it.
Charles
I
Charles,

Thanks for going over this again. I'm sure I have seen it on this forum and in the manual, but I definitely haven't understood the significance of it. I will re-read the manual till I understand just what it is saying. I had thought all the technical details would be programmed into the unit and I would just have to tell it to discharge to a specific voltage per cell.

I've got some reading to do.

Thanks,

Ray
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:32 PM
United States, TX
Joined Aug 2011
76 Posts
Hi everyone......I've just purchased an icharger 306b, a week ago. I've used it about a dozen times and some of the buttons are getting a little off(leaning to one side) and sticking. This might of been covered in here some where but i thought I'd ask anyway. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks.
J.Avant is offline Find More Posts by J.Avant
Old Jan 31, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Jul 2011
7 Posts
Hello everyone!

@Junsi
Is possible to get back to life "LiUd"(user defined) mode idea?

This feature should allow to set higher LiPo termination voltage than 4.3v in chargers like 1010B. I know that hardware is limited to 4.8V. With this feature will be possible to charge battery packs with higher single cell termination voltage (of course this will be used with special high voltage approved cells).

Now I use Pb mode, and I set the termination voltage to 2.2V(and 2s mode) so the charge terminates at 4.4V, but I can't charge more cells in series (with balancing)

Thanks!
brisbanex2 is offline Find More Posts by brisbanex2
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:20 PM
Joined Mar 2010
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avistar87 View Post
Hello,
Today when i plug the iCharger 106b+ to the power AC/DC (as always) the iCharger write: "Reverse polarity check" and start to beep.
I don't plug the lipo.
I've been check that, while the error message is on, if i plug a lipo in the main port (not in the balance port) it stops and the iCharger start to work well.

Please help me!

Thanks
@junsi... how can I solve my problem ???
Avistar87 is offline Find More Posts by Avistar87
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:00 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
See post 11819 Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:48 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avistar87 View Post
Hello,
I don't plug the lipo.

Please help me!

Thanks
Sorry to reply so late, we have replied you via E-mail, please check it, thanks for your cooperation.

Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:50 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brisbanex2 View Post
Hello everyone!

@Junsi
Is possible to get back to life "LiUd"(user defined) mode idea?

This feature should allow to set higher LiPo termination voltage than 4.3v in chargers like 1010B. I know that hardware is limited to 4.8V. With this feature will be possible to charge battery packs with higher single cell termination voltage (of course this will be used with special high voltage approved cells).

Now I use Pb mode, and I set the termination voltage to 2.2V(and 2s mode) so the charge terminates at 4.4V, but I can't charge more cells in series (with balancing)

Thanks!
Thanks for your great support on our products, our engineers will consider your suggestion carefully.

Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi