HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:52 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,516 Posts
Quote:
What could cause a 3C charge rate to take longer than a 2C charge rate?
Simple answers.

Your LiPolys are not well matched cell wise.

Your charger is not set to the most ideal settings for 2 or 3C charging / balancing?

Your charger does not habe enough balancing power to deal with the degree of inbalance created effectively.

How many chargers have you observed very closely and took notes? If one would do this and learn what is really happening during a charge they would be able to figure out the most effective use of thier charger.

As a suggestion with your LiPolys and charger I would suggest

Set Balance to start at Store and Balance Speed Normal .
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:10 AM
Fun Scaler
EHTX
Joined Jun 2007
150 Posts
Thank you Charles

I noted 2 charges @ 2C and two @ 3C. CV phase takes more time when charging @ 3C then when charging @ 2C.

I will try againand set the balancing mode to "always" instead of "during CV stage", and set balancing speed to "normal" instead of "slow"

Cheers

-Patriek
Patriek is offline Find More Posts by Patriek
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:01 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
'Always' is probably the worst choice of balance mode, especially for high-C-rate charging. Cells are never balanced when discharged and using this mode is likely to lengthen the overall charge cycle further as well as induce extra wear on the cells.

Charles suggested you try 'balance at storage' mode which starts balancing when the cells reach about 3.85V. It will be interesting to hear how your charge times turn out if you do just that. If you change more than one parameter at a time you won't know which had the most effect.

Of course changing the balance speed from 'slow' to 'normal' will certainly shorten the charge cycle time significantly for any packs where the cells are not well matched.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:07 AM
Fun Scaler
EHTX
Joined Jun 2007
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
'Always' is probably the worst choice of balance mode, especially for high-C-rate charging. Cells are never balanced when discharged and using this mode is likely to lengthen the overall charge cycle further as well as induce extra wear on the cells.

Charles suggested you try 'balance at storage' mode which starts balancing when the cells reach about 3.85V. It will be interesting to hear how your charge times turn out if you do just that. If you change more than one parameter at a time you won't know which had the most effect.

Of course changing the balance speed from 'slow' to 'normal' will certainly shorten the charge cycle time significantly for any packs where the cells are not well matched.

Great feedback. Thanks gentlemen
Patriek is offline Find More Posts by Patriek
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:10 PM
Auckland
Joined Mar 2010
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMobile View Post
I just Receiced My Icharger i106b Plus from Hobbyking.com

I having problem with that charger.

Today I put a 2200mah battery for balance charge,
after few minutes. i checked on charger its was showing 4.27, 4.25, 4.27
charging was still still not finished, but I stoped charging process becuase I wanted to charger charge my lipo any more..

Why this charger over charged my lipo,

second problem.
when ever I put my batteries for storage voltage, if battery already have voltage of 3.50 to 3.70 or something near this per cell, charger instantly show DONE<

I already received my charger with firmware version 3.14

what to do?
Unhinged here -- read my post '11322'. Basically I have the same problem. It seems that this is not isolated anymore with it looks yourself and ome other now with similar issues. Read all the posts after that with some good replies from Charles and Fred. At the end of the day though, the charger is back in China, and hopefully will return good to go. I will update when I get it back -- Junsi any feedback?
unhinged is offline Find More Posts by unhinged
Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:26 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriek View Post
Charging 2 6S 5Ah in parallel at 2C each: charge time = ~25 minutes
Charging 2 6S 5Ah in parallel at 3C each: charge time = ~29 minutes

Balancing starts in CV mode (which seems to take longer when charging at 3C compared to 2C) and balancing mode is set to slow. Both batteries are fairly new, IR ~ 2mOhm/ cell and balance within <10mv

What could cause a 3C charge rate to take longer than a 2C charge rate?

-Patriek
The most obvious answer (I know it is basic) is the starting state of charge. I would also suggest switching the rate on the two packs. See if the "fast" pack is still the "fast" pack.

As the rate is increased for any given set-up the cv stage will always start earlier , but that is a good thing even though it appears to slow things down.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:35 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
This may also show that fast charging is not that good for your batteries, although 1C rate faster is not that much different.

And I think the faster you charge the longer balancing will take.
Further enforcing the use of a slower charge rate.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:54 PM
Poland
Joined Nov 2010
462 Posts
Quote:
I noted 2 charges @ 2C and two @ 3C. CV phase takes more time when charging @ 3C then when charging @ 2C.
Log data, please.
Graphs will explain everything.
LeszekJ is offline Find More Posts by LeszekJ
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:59 AM
Joined Oct 2010
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhinged View Post
Unhinged here -- read my post '11322'. Basically I have the same problem. It seems that this is not isolated anymore with it looks yourself and ome other now with similar issues. Read all the posts after that with some good replies from Charles and Fred. At the end of the day though, the charger is back in China, and hopefully will return good to go. I will update when I get it back -- Junsi any feedback?

Thanks for reply,, but sending back charger to china is not easy job.. its cost more than the charger,, paying both side shipping again,

it will be help full if junsi reply here

Br.
DrMobile is offline Find More Posts by DrMobile
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:01 AM
Joined Oct 2010
22 Posts
My cheap Imax b6 is better working than this,, I just bought that expensive charger to have piece of mind.
DrMobile is offline Find More Posts by DrMobile
Old Nov 15, 2011, 02:00 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,255 Posts
Quote:

-Patriek
Usually, unless you change "balance speed", 3C should be faster since termination current in CV phase will be higher too (1/x of initial current).
Balance speed Fast - Normal - Slow means 1/5 - 1/10 - 1/40 of initial charge current (and has nothing to do with the actual balancing operation).
Have you tried a Normal, non-balancing charge?

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Nov 15, 2011, 02:50 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMobile View Post
I just Receiced My Icharger i106b Plus from Hobbyking.com

I having problem with that charger.

Today I put a 2200mah battery for balance charge,
after few minutes. i checked on charger its was showing 4.27, 4.25, 4.27
charging was still still not finished, but I stoped charging process becuase I wanted to charger charge my lipo any more..
Why this charger over charged my lipo,
second problem.
when ever I put my batteries for storage voltage, if battery already have voltage of 3.50 to 3.70 or something near this per cell, charger instantly show DONE<
I already received my charger with firmware version 3.14

what to do?
Hello DrMobile,

1. Could you please press Stop and Start buttons for 3 seconds to reset to defaults settings, if possible, please record the data with Logivew for our reference?
2. The situation you mentioned should be normal, when it near the storage voltage, it may finish even with small charging current. You can set the lower current to reach the storage voltage of 3.85V.

Junsi
junsi is online now Find More Posts by junsi
Old Nov 15, 2011, 07:40 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,864 Posts
What is the capacity limit of the 306b?

Can I load up 6 2600's on it and run it full tilt both 3 and 4s?
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Nov 15, 2011, 08:39 PM
Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
449 Posts
30 amps / 1000 watts

You could charge 6 x 2600mah packs at 30 amps (almost 2c charge rate) in around 30 minutes

Cheers
crusey_aus is offline Find More Posts by crusey_aus
Old Nov 15, 2011, 09:13 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusey_aus View Post
30 amps / 1000 watts

You could charge 6 x 2600mah packs at 30 amps (almost 2c charge rate) in around 30 minutes

Cheers
I hit a capacity limit though on my 1010, can't remember if it was a charge or discharge though. All I remember was something to the extent of mah limit reached or over mah.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz