SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 06, 2011, 03:40 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaues_Kopftuch View Post
When you turn the power supply on, the voltage on the output rises slowly (in terms of milli seconds or nano seconds), thats the big difference.
Right, and that waveform is presumably at least somewhat specific to each power supply and its design.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2011, 02:22 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,895 Posts
True, but at least the big capacitor on the output of the supply is empty when you switch it on, so can absorb any spikes as it charges up. Whereas if the power supply is already turned on, the capacitor is fully charged and ready to discharge instantly when you connect your charger. You are then dependent on whatever capacitor is on the input of the charger to soften the blow.
Trevorh is offline Find More Posts by Trevorh
Old Nov 07, 2011, 03:11 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorh View Post
True, but at least the big capacitor on the output of the supply is empty when you switch it on, so can absorb any spikes as it charges up. Whereas if the power supply is already turned on, the capacitor is fully charged and ready to discharge instantly when you connect your charger. You are then dependent on whatever capacitor is on the input of the charger to soften the blow.
Thanks, that makes sense.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Nov 07, 2011, 06:56 AM
Joined Oct 2011
3 Posts
What do you people think about using this lipo reader as reference for calibration?

hangtime21 is offline Find More Posts by hangtime21
Old Nov 07, 2011, 07:23 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Extremely unwise. I tested three or four variants of those and they all showed poor accuracy and repeatability. You could perhaps use a high quality cell checker that has been proven by users to have decent factory calibration and accuracy. Candidates would include the CellLog8S and PowerLog6S.

Best bet is a high quality, high precision DVM/DMM with at 0.2% accuracy (or better) in the 5V DC range.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:23 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangtime21 View Post
What do you people think about using this lipo reader as reference for calibration?
Always use the same reference for all cell values when calibrating. This ensures that all cell voltages are calibrated equally, even if they are not 100% correct. Cell checkers are in principle several meters in one unit and should not be used.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Nov 07, 2011, 09:47 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,326 Posts
Yes, these things are extremely unreliable abd inaccurate.
Also, normally a meter should not be calibrated with another meter, but against a standard.
The voltage standart of 4.5V which I mentioned earlier is now assembled and is in the aging process. When it is shipped and arrives here, I will report my findings concerning using it as calibration standard.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Nov 07, 2011, 12:20 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
So, on the subject of calibration, anyone got any ideas on my problem I posted a day or so back?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11438
badger-b is offline Find More Posts by badger-b
Old Nov 09, 2011, 02:21 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger-b View Post
Been a while since I posted here, and with over 700 pages, it may have been covered so apologies. I updated the firmware on my 106B+to the latest (3.14) as it was occasionally not changing the interface display when buttons were pressed - somethimes I needed to push the button REALLY hard, or maybe several times before the display changed. The upgrade doesnt seem to have fixed that, but has now revealed a different, more serious problem.
On every pack I connect ( 3s upwards ) in balance charge mode, cell two reads WAY lower than actual. Leaving it on balance charge for ages ( which I did first time i saw the readings cos I thought cell 2 WAS low ) changes nothing. I looked at the front pages and read the calibrate charger PDF, but following the procedure , all I get is as far as powering up the charger with the 4 buttons pressed, and all I see is a long serial number, and cant get past that stage ??
Even if I could, I still cant see how this will calibrate the individual cell volt readings- as it seems to just mention "battery" voltage versus battery voltage on a DVM.

Help.
When calibrating, please refer the instruction carefully, don't press 4 buttons together all the time when electrify the iCharger, loose the buttons when hearing 3 beeps from the buzzer.

If the voltage of second cell reads much lower than the actual one, you need check if the balance socket on the right side of the charger is burnt accoding to the file bal err.

Junsi
junsi is online now Find More Posts by junsi
Old Nov 09, 2011, 04:08 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi View Post
When calibrating, please refer the instruction carefully, don't press 4 buttons together all the time when electrify the iCharger, loose the buttons when hearing 3 beeps from the buzzer.

If the voltage of second cell reads much lower than the actual one, you need check if the balance socket on the right side of the charger is burnt accoding to the file Attachment 4405658.

Junsi
Well Ive only ever used it with a balance board, so according to the last statement of the pdf - I should be "protected" against this particular error.
What message should actually be displayed when I try to enter calibration mode then?
Old Nov 09, 2011, 04:56 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
Tried again just now, and I get FOUR beeps when powering up with the buttons all held down. I release immediately after the beeps, and get a normal screen. Connecting the battery and balancer plug, then "start" the charger......holding the stop button for 3 seconds changes nothing.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:55 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Calibrating steps:
1. Press <Stop><Dec><Inc><Start> these 4 buttons together, then electrify the iCharger; loose the
buttons when hearing 3 beeps from the buzzer.

Note 3 beeps not 4.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 09, 2011, 10:11 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
Yes I know that, but I get FOUR beeps in quick succession not THREE.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 10:20 AM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger-b View Post
Yes I know that, but I get FOUR beeps in quick succession not THREE.
Will you get 3 if you continue the hold them down a little longer?
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Nov 09, 2011, 11:50 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
Nope...