HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2011, 04:58 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaues_Kopftuch View Post
To me it's almost a fact that the iCharger, some time ago, could not survive being connected (with battery already connected) to a running power supply or car lead-acid battery.
My question is if this problem still exists or if "the chinese man was learning really quick" and this problem is solved / precautions are taken?
Being a n00b, a few dozen posts ago I asked "why does the charger sometimes hang on startup?". It was quickly pointed out to me that my habit of connecting the battery before powering up the charger was procedurally incorrect.

Hence, I feel I can readily answer your question by saying that the problem has definitely NOT been resolved as of firmware 3.13h in a 206B, and that the act of powering up with the battery already attached causes a full lockup about 30% of the time, and even what appears to be a reboot cycle on rare occasions.

I never see either of those symptoms if I remember to power up before attaching the battery.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2011, 05:30 AM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Being a n00b, a few dozen posts ago I asked "why does the charger sometimes hang on startup?". It was quickly pointed out to me that my habit of connecting the battery before powering up the charger was procedurally incorrect.

Hence, I feel I can readily answer your question by saying that the problem has definitely NOT been resolved as of firmware 3.13h in a 206B, and that the act of powering up with the battery already attached causes a full lockup about 30% of the time, and even what appears to be a reboot cycle on rare occasions.

I never see either of those symptoms if I remember to power up before attaching the battery.
What was the voltage of your battery pack (empty) and did you turn on the power supply when the charger was connected or did you first turn on your power supply and then attach the charger?
And what was the voltage of your power supply?

But at least your 206B still works ... the posts i read in german RC forums were about destroyed chargers. But as stated, they assume that the batterypack voltage has to be at least 3-4 volts higher than the input voltage for this to happen.

regards

blue bandana
blaues_Kopftuch is offline Find More Posts by blaues_Kopftuch
Old Nov 04, 2011, 05:35 AM
Waterloo, Belgium
Joined Dec 2004
254 Posts
I like my iCharger 3010B to charge my 12s2p a123, balancing not needed, takes less than 15min for a full charge.
Before it I used (and still use) a MasTech 5010 power unit. There is no automatism, if you know what you do, it's nice:
* set current to 20A
* set voltage to 43.2V (12 * 3.6V)
* go !

Phase CC: current is limited to 20V
Phase CV: voltage is limited to 43.2V

Phase switching is part of the design of the power unit
There is no "end", current falls to zero when pack is full.
ramboman is offline Find More Posts by ramboman
Old Nov 04, 2011, 05:57 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Joined Jan 2011
2,666 Posts
Quote:
What was the voltage of your battery pack (empty) and did you turn on the power supply when the charger was connected or did you first turn on your power supply and then attach the charger?
I use 1S cells as well as 2S and 3S packs. The problem intermittently manifests itself with all of them, and I've never noticed that the 3S batteries, for example, are any more or less predisposed to causing a "bootup hang".

I never run my batteries down below 3.8V/cell, so the range of voltages is from say 3.8V (1S discharged) up to 12.6V for a full 3S pack about to be discharged down to storage level.

The charger and power supply are permanently connected. Hence, the act of flicking the switch on the supply immediately "energises" the entire system.

Quote:
And what was the voltage of your power supply?
It's a Turnigy T-20Pro, 14 Volts 220 Watts. I've regularly pushed it up to just over 200W and it's never skipped a beat.

Quote:
But at least your 206B still works ... the posts i read in german RC forums were about destroyed chargers. But as stated, they assume that the batterypack voltage has to be at least 3-4 volts higher than the input voltage for this to happen.
I can't comment on what might happen with 5S and 6S setups, but my own 206B has lived through literally hundreds of these "hangs" (battery already attached on powerup) before I found out it was a no-no. Even now I regularly forget and attach the battery first, because past history has led me to (complacently?) conclude that the charger is really not that fragile, and the worst that happens is a hang - sometimes.

In fact, most of the time everything is perfectly OK, even with 6x 3S 2200mAh already attached through a paraboard.

I'll definitely be more careful if I should I ever graduate to 4S+ setups. Thank you for the information regarding reported damage at higher voltages.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 08:55 AM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
The charger and power supply are permanently connected. Hence, the act of flicking the switch on the supply immediately "energises" the entire system.
Yes ... but in fact thats the method that is known not to destroy the charger.
According to the posts in the german forum the "destrutive" way to power everything is / was: (thats the question)
Turn on the power supply and THEN plug the charger in the power supply (with battery already connected and battery voltage 3-4 Volts higher than power supply voltage / car lead-acid battery voltage).

Such thing could happen when your pole-connection-gripper slips of the car-battery and you just connect it back to the car-battery without disconnection the LiPo you were just charging.

regards

blue bandana
Old Nov 05, 2011, 11:05 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusey52 View Post
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a charger to survive a power failure while it's in use. I can think of several ways a charger could lose power, like a breaker tripping. Any manufacturer that doesn't account for this in their design isn't doing their job.
Easy, gentlemen. iChargers survive power failures.

We are talking about two different situations here:

A) Connect charger output to battery, then to power supply, then switch power supply on --> no problem.

This is what would happen during a power outage.

B) Connect charger output to battery, switch on power supply, then connect charger to running power supply, or supply battery --> problems have been reported.
Julez is online now Find More Posts by Julez
Old Nov 05, 2011, 01:16 PM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post

A) Connect charger output to battery, then to power supply, then switch power supply on --> no problem.

B) Connect charger output to battery, switch on power supply, then connect charger to running power supply, or supply battery --> problems have been reported.
Exactly :-) and no one can tell me if B is still the case or if Junsi changed the hardware / software to handle this problem :-(

regards

blue bandana
Old Nov 06, 2011, 06:50 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
cell two reading low on all batteries

Been a while since I posted here, and with over 700 pages, it may have been covered so apologies. I updated the firmware on my 106B+to the latest (3.14) as it was occasionally not changing the interface display when buttons were pressed - somethimes I needed to push the button REALLY hard, or maybe several times before the display changed. The upgrade doesnt seem to have fixed that, but has now revealed a different, more serious problem.
On every pack I connect ( 3s upwards ) in balance charge mode, cell two reads WAY lower than actual. Leaving it on balance charge for ages ( which I did first time i saw the readings cos I thought cell 2 WAS low ) changes nothing. I looked at the front pages and read the calibrate charger PDF, but following the procedure , all I get is as far as powering up the charger with the 4 buttons pressed, and all I see is a long serial number, and cant get past that stage ??
Even if I could, I still cant see how this will calibrate the individual cell volt readings- as it seems to just mention "battery" voltage versus battery voltage on a DVM.

Help.
badger-b is offline Find More Posts by badger-b
Old Nov 06, 2011, 07:04 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Joined Jan 2011
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post

I get that A and B are physically different, but I don't see why it should make a big difference on an electrical level unless the power supply itself is somehow producing transients which kill the charger in scenario B.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 10:34 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,981 Posts
Hi folks,

I think these are useful items and you can have a discount with the following buddy codes

2S-Buddy code:
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...6-657CA305EE4E
Item description:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19939

3S- Buddy Code:
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...1-67566F91D2F0
Item description:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19940

4S-Buddy Code:
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...3-284D6672CE2F
Item description:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19941

I find I tend to need to pull on the balance port cable when disconnecting the batteries from the charger and/or parallel boards. The above items will help to eliminate the need and keep your balance leads in good shape. I just ordered some to try

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Last edited by chewytm; Nov 06, 2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 10:40 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,259 Posts
Wish there was a 10S one to use on the 1010B and 3010B.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Nov 06, 2011, 10:53 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
Wish there was a 10S one to use on the 1010B and 3010B.

Fred
I am sure they will come out with more esses(?). So far I only use up to 2x3S in series which will be charges are 3s2p, so I am ok there.

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Nov 06, 2011, 01:34 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Apr 2006
37 Posts
306B Smoked!

Well, I just smoked my 306B charger today. It had been working awesome up to this point. I was parallel charging 2 6S 5000mah packs at 20 amps and all of a sudden smoke started pouring out of the cooling fan housing.

I purchased it from EP Buddy about a month ago. What is the warranty service like? Will they replace this with out hassle or do I just throw it in the trash and buy something different? This is my only charger and I'm down until I get it replaced. Never should have sold my hyperion.

JAW
jawelsh is offline Find More Posts by jawelsh
Old Nov 06, 2011, 01:35 PM
Poland
Joined Nov 2010
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm View Post
I am sure they will come out with more esses(?).
I have just ordered 6S.
LeszekJ is offline Find More Posts by LeszekJ
Old Nov 06, 2011, 01:37 PM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
I get that A and B are physically different, but I don't see why it should make a big difference on an electrical level unless the power supply itself is somehow producing transients which kill the charger in scenario B.
When you turn the power supply on, the voltage on the output rises slowly (in terms of milli seconds or nano seconds), thats the big difference.

regards

blue bandana

P.S.: looks like I'll buy a iCharger ... due to a lack of alternatives.