HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2011, 06:46 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maex View Post
Why is in the NiCd/NiMH/Pb-Mode the discharging finale voltage for battery pack and not like in the LiXX-Mode for the cell selectable?
The different selection of the discharging finale voltage is not very user friendly. I think the voltage should be for the cell selectable in all modes.

best regards
maex
Me too. It was suggested in May 2009 already. Discharging a 10S pack to .8V is no good.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2011, 11:33 AM
Joined Oct 2011
7 Posts
What has done the software engineers from junsi in the last 10 months without any software improvement? The last update was in december 2010...
maex is offline Find More Posts by maex
Old Nov 02, 2011, 04:27 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Stability is a good thing IMO
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Nov 02, 2011, 08:45 PM
Auckland
Joined Mar 2010
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi View Post
Hello unhinged,

Sorry to hear that again, please check the PM we have sent to you. Thanks for your cooperation.

Junsi
Thank you for responding. It is good to have a manufacturer actually listen, but then word of mouth is the best advertising. All other aspects of the charger are fantastic. Could you send me the address please.
unhinged is offline Find More Posts by unhinged
Old Nov 03, 2011, 05:18 PM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
Hi

I'm looking for a Charger:
  • Charging at least 4 Cells LiPo / LiIon (with Balacing) and Lead-Acid (12Volt, Car)
  • Discharge power at least 30 Watt (and measuring capacity)
  • Has a storage mode

I need this charger for charging / discharging and storing my batteries that i use for my mountainbike lights.
So I first asked this question in an german mountainbike forum ... that's where I got the recommmendation to buy a Junsi iCharger 208B.

So I startet an investigation about Junsi iCharger and found some threads in german RC forums about problems with the iCharger.
If you get a power blackout with powersupply & charger & battery connected ... the powersupply will boot up and everything should be ok (not damaged). But if you get a disconnection between a running powersupply and charger (with battery connected) and you reconnect the charger (with battery still connected) to the running powersupply ... the charger will most likely be damaged.
Is this still an existing problem or has it already been solved?
Are there other known user-mistreadments that the iCharger won't survive but more expensive /other chargers most probably will (due to software / hardware precaution taken by the manufacturer)?

I'm asking this because I'm looking for a charger thats quite save to handle even if you are tired.
I know that handling LiPos is risky ... but I don't want to buy a new charger each time I mix up the order in which the leads should be connected, including powersupply (not reverse polarity ... I'm not color-blind).

In fact the technical specs of the 208B is looking quite interesting, especially as its almost as good as or even better than a german branded charger for just half of the price. But I'm afraid of ther german proverb "if you buy cheap, you will buy twice".

What do you think?
What would you recommend?

regards
blue bandana
blaues_Kopftuch is offline Find More Posts by blaues_Kopftuch
Old Nov 03, 2011, 07:12 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaues_Kopftuch View Post
Hi

I'm looking for a Charger:
  • Charging at least 4 Cells LiPo / LiIon (with Balacing) and Lead-Acid (12Volt, Car)
  • Discharge power at least 30 Watt (and measuring capacity)
  • Has a storage mode

I need this charger for charging / discharging and storing my batteries that i use for my mountainbike lights.
So I first asked this question in an german mountainbike forum ... that's where I got the recommmendation to buy a Junsi iCharger 208B.

So I startet an investigation about Junsi iCharger and found some threads in german RC forums about problems with the iCharger.
If you get a power blackout with powersupply & charger & battery connected ... the powersupply will boot up and everything should be ok (not damaged). But if you get a disconnection between a running powersupply and charger (with battery connected) and you reconnect the charger (with battery still connected) to the running powersupply ... the charger will most likely be damaged.
Is this still an existing problem or has it already been solved?
Are there other known user-mistreadments that the iCharger won't survive but more expensive /other chargers most probably will (due to software / hardware precaution taken by the manufacturer)?

I'm asking this because I'm looking for a charger thats quite save to handle even if you are tired.
I know that handling LiPos is risky ... but I don't want to buy a new charger each time I mix up the order in which the leads should be connected, including powersupply (not reverse polarity ... I'm not color-blind).

In fact the technical specs of the 208B is looking quite interesting, especially as its almost as good as or even better than a german branded charger for just half of the price. But I'm afraid of ther german proverb "if you buy cheap, you will buy twice".

What do you think?
What would you recommend?

regards
blue bandana
First, if you are tired and half asleep you should not be operated ANY machinery or power equipment. You can't blame the charger manufacturer for your lack of attention.

Second, I think ALL charger manufacturers recommend powering up the charger BEFORE you connect the battery to be charged, period.
It's the nature of the beast, just do it right the first time.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Nov 03, 2011, 07:17 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post
First, if you are tired and half asleep you should not be operated ANY machinery or power equipment. You can't blame the charger manufacturer for your lack of attention.

Second, I think ALL charger manufacturers recommend powering up the charger BEFORE you connect the battery to be charged, period.
Well if you have a momentary power outage there is not much you can do about that. If the claim is correct then no damage occurs as long as it remains connected to the power supply. But IMHO the entire scenario makes no sense because either way the Charger gets power cycled with the battery connected.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Nov 03, 2011, 07:22 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
How can a charger manufacturer be responsible for power outages?

That's nuts.
Why would they even anticipate that? That wouldn't even be a part of the design strategy.
Old Nov 03, 2011, 09:07 PM
Salem, Oregon
Joined Dec 2008
125 Posts
Quote:

That's nuts.
Why would they even anticipate that? That wouldn't even be a part of the design strategy.
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a charger to survive a power failure while it's in use. I can think of several ways a charger could lose power, like a breaker tripping. Any manufacturer that doesn't account for this in their design isn't doing their job.
Dusey52 is online now Find More Posts by Dusey52
Old Nov 03, 2011, 09:19 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,731 Posts
Quote:
Any manufacturer that doesn't account for this in their design isn't doing their job.
And the flip side is any manufacturer who does provide additional safety features / guards encures additional cost which must be added to their chargers so the mass majority purchase the lower priced ones from their competition.

I have chargers which are about as idiot proof as any can be and they handle power outages, batteries being left connected and the charger powered down for hours on end ,batteries being connected before the charger is powered up, charger connected to power source reverse polarity, LiPolys connected in reverse polarity etc. The most common comment on forums are that yes they are good chargers but they cost to much.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 03, 2011, 09:37 PM
Salem, Oregon
Joined Dec 2008
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
And the flip side is any manufacturer who does provide additional safety features / guards encures additional cost which must be added to their chargers so the mass majority purchase the lower priced ones from their competition.
Charles
Very true, everything is a design trade-off but implimenting this sort of protection costs pennies and a company that cuts corners like that likley has a sub-par design in other areas as well.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on which models are the more robust 'idiot proof' vs models that let the smoke out at the slightest miss-handeling.
Dusey52 is online now Find More Posts by Dusey52
Old Nov 03, 2011, 10:00 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:

That's nuts.
Oh please, power outages are common. Not to design proper circuit protection for an event as common as a power outage makes for a very poor product.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Nov 03, 2011, 10:22 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
So you guys are saying that some chargers have built in protection against reverse polarity and plugging in the battery BEFORE powering the charger is O.K?

I have read the instructions for TP610C, TP1010C, iCharger 306B, 3010B and PL6 and PL8.
Don't remember ANY saying you can plug the battery in before power up of the charger and I do know for sure that TP610C does NOT have polarity protection.

Now I don't know if plugging in your battery before power up of the charger will actually damage it, so that may be a mute point but reverse polarity will fry things.

I think these brands are toward the top of current heap of chargers with regard to quality and popularity.

Are there any other chargers that we KNOW have these features?
Old Nov 03, 2011, 11:51 PM
Joined Aug 2011
10 Posts
I have a couple of BC6DX-II doing NiMh forming charge cycles when there was power blackout for about half an hour. Just left it connected (was still under waranty at that time). When power came back, charger still ok but had to restart process. This is the closes thing I can think of connecting battery first before power is connected. Could also be it's only 1.2v so perhaps voltage not high enough to cause anything.
Looking4Answer is offline Find More Posts by Looking4Answer
Old Nov 04, 2011, 04:13 AM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
Quote:

Yes ... and No.
Years ago you couldn't blame a car manufacturer for delivering a car without seatbelts, ABS breaks and ESP ... now you can.
And in fact one can even blame Mc Donalds for serving hot coffee that is in fact hot.
The question is not if you can blame a manufacturer for missing security features ... the question is when the time has come that everybody expects the charger (or eg. car) to have this features.

Years ago a chinese manufacturer produced a car for the german market ... and it had almost no security features ... it didn't sell. But german technical newspapers predicted that this won't last long due to the fact that "the chinese man is learning really quick". And in fact it didn't take long and that car then had airbags, ABS breaks, ESP and so on.

To me it's almost a fact that the iCharger, some time ago, could not survive being connected (with battery already connected) to a running power supply or car lead-acid battery.
My question is if this problem still exists or if "the chinese man was learning really quick" and this problem is solved / precautions are taken?

Quote:
Are there any other chargers that we KNOW have these features?
"Schulze" Chargers are protected against almost any kind of mistreadment (including reverse polarity, wrong order of plugging in, over voltage, connectors that avoid striking-fire while connecting etc.). But their price range is from 360 USD to 830 USD without power supply. I would buy one of those if I just had a cash cow.

regards

blue bandana

P.S.: according to some of what I have read before, this problem can just occure when battery voltage is at least 3-4V higher than supply voltage
blaues_Kopftuch is offline Find More Posts by blaues_Kopftuch