Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 26, 2011, 05:04 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker custom rc View Post
just the balance plug for cell reading, main charge wires i connected after switch on
The balance plug still applies the full voltage of the pack to the charger output, just the same as the main leads.

While it is unfortunate that you are disappointed, you failed to follow the manufacturer's very clear instructions which state:
Quote:
Recommended connecting way:
  1. Connect iCharger's input power supply, and turn on it.
  2. Connect Li batteries' balance port
  3. Connect the main charging port's positive pole to cells' positive pole, and then connect negative pole to
  4. cells' negative pole (this will avoid striking fire while connecting Li cells).
  5. Start charging and discharging...
  6. After finishing charging and discharging, pls disconnect the cell and charger, and then turn off the charger's
  7. power supply.
So you can complain about the product but the evidence suggests the problem was caused by the user and not the product.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2011, 05:07 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Spoke to Dave and he has updated the website with the spec.s. This cable is rated for 40A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
progressiverc do offer this useful adapter which is made using 10awg wire. No spec.s are provided for the maximum current.

Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:45 AM
Suspended Account
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Aug 2005
2,432 Posts
dont seem to get any hits on it but my 306b comes up with "Balance port voltage error" when any cell is plugged in? one thing I did notice is I have to use the 4 cell ballance port and all my batteries have a 5 pin plug on it? my cells are 3 cell lipos just put my 6 cell batteries on it and they are charging fine?
NZ_Nitro is offline Find More Posts by NZ_Nitro
Last edited by NZ_Nitro; Oct 27, 2011 at 03:06 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 27, 2011, 03:22 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2005
2,432 Posts
seems from what I can tell hyperion cells use the same plug for 3 cell and 4 cell units but skip one pin?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 03:39 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
You have a Hyperion pack, or at least a pack with Hyperion-style balance leads. You have to use a Hyperion-to-JST_XH adapter lead, use a Hyperion-style adapter board like this or this or move the wires down towards the negative end.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 06:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2005
2,432 Posts
might move them, anoying the manufacturers dont make a standard for this
Old Oct 27, 2011, 06:32 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
4,389 Posts
Ok I just got a 206b icharger. I have a 2c 460 lipos for my foamie. I charged it at .40 amps is this correct?
3Dplank is online now Find More Posts by 3Dplank
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:45 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plank420 View Post
Ok I just got a 206b icharger. I have a 2c 460 lipos for my foamie. I charged it at .40 amps is this correct?
Sure. Charging that same lipo at 0.9A would also be within the specified limits.

With a paraboard and a suitably strong power supply, the 206B can charge a large number of such batteries concurrently.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Oct 28, 2011, 08:21 PM
steve
Brazil
Joined Nov 2010
239 Posts
I have a 206B that I've had for about 9 months and lately I noticed when I held the stop button to see cell voltage and IR it would always show a low cell voltage on cell 1 and about 20M resistance and the other cells with much smaller resistance. At first I thought it was a cell going bad but then I put in about 10 different 3S packs and they all showed the same problem. When I checked the balance plugs by connecting black to first color and then first color to second etc I would get normal voltage on cell 1 and 3 but always the center sell would have about .1 to .2 volts less.

I'm using 3.13 fw and I tried the calibration which I had never tried before. I got into what I think was calibration mode and when I held stop button I got the same volt reading screen but without the decimal. I then tried pressing the first 3 buttons but it would not do anything. I'm not sure if I'm in configuration mode or not but it did beep about 3 times when turning on with the 4 buttons pressed.

Also I've always done a balanced charge but after reading your post Jointer, I'm wondering if that is the right thing to do. Should I just do normal or fast charge and leave the balancing for when I notice the cells getting unbalanced? I sometimes charge at 10%C rate which I heard is another way of balancing since it wouldn't be enough power to over charge a cell.

Well my main problem is getting the 206B calibrated and I seem to be getting stuck or not really getting to the calibration screen.

The steps I'm taking are:

hold the 4 buttons
power on power supply
after a few beeps release buttons
press and hold stop until gets to volt monitoring screen (which now doesn't have decimal)
now press left 3 buttons

That is what I'm doing but on the last step nothing new is happening and I can't see anyway to adjust the read voltage so I can correct it's calibration.
f11music.com is offline Find More Posts by f11music.com
Old Oct 29, 2011, 01:07 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f11music.com View Post
I then tried pressing the first 3 buttons but it would not do anything. I'm not sure if I'm in configuration mode or not but it did beep about 3 times when turning on with the 4 buttons pressed.
<Dec>< Inc ><Start> are the last three (to the right) buttons, not the first three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f11music.com View Post
Should I just do normal or fast charge and leave the balancing for when I notice the cells getting unbalanced? I sometimes charge at 10%C rate which I heard is another way of balancing since it wouldn't be enough power to over charge a cell.
When you notice it, it might be too late. At least keep balancing wires connected for safety when charging in other modes.
Charging at 1/10C will overcharge cells and will not balance a pack.

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Oct 29, 2011, 02:25 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,844 Posts
f11Music: If I understand your observations and measurements right, I suspect your problem may lie somewhere in the balance port, balance board, wiring area rather than anything to do with calibration.

The 'balance by charging at C/10' recommendation applies to NiCd not LiPo.
Trevorh is online now Find More Posts by Trevorh
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:55 AM
Germany - Rhineland
Joined Oct 2008
258 Posts
More then 4.2 v per cell?

I am a little puzzled. Both my two 106B+ show more then 4.2 v, when charging lipos.

I do see 12.7 ... 12.75 v short before finish, when charging my 3s 2200 cells.

Balance charging with 2 A.

Is that OK?

BR KH
kalle123 is online now Find More Posts by kalle123
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:04 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,873 Posts
At what voltage are your packs/cells when the charger finishes? How long and what gauge are your charge leads? What connectors do you use?

What you're likely experiencing is voltage drop in your charge leads so the 12.75V you're reading is at the charger, not your pack. As such, you most likely do not have a problem and this is perfectly normal.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:34 AM
Germany - Rhineland
Joined Oct 2008
258 Posts
That was fast Mark.

Using MPX and XT 60 connectors. But a little voltage drop over the charger cable would be an explanation. The junsi checking the cell voltage over balancer cable (and keeping the voltage just up to 4.2 v) and the junsi display showing the delivered voltage at the charging port (a little higher there).

Finished cell voltage is always 4.19 ... 4.20.

Thanx - KH
kalle123 is online now Find More Posts by kalle123
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:40 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalle123 View Post
The junsi checking the cell voltage over balancer cable (and keeping the voltage just up to 4.2 v) and the junsi display showing the delivered voltage at the charging port (a little higher there).
This is one of the many things that I absolutely LOVE about the iCharger design. First time I saw it I flipped out for a second and then pushed the 'cell monitor' button and all was right with my world once again.

This 'voltage drop compensation' feature can speed up charging quite a bit as the charger will stay in CC mode for a longer period of time before switching to CV mode. This is especially true when charging at high currents with the 200 and 300 series chargers. Genius, simply genius on Junsi's part.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member