HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:00 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kouasupra View Post
Capacity breakdown...something something.. It stops my charging and I would have to start it up again. Is there any way to remove this message? Thanks!
Yes. Go into the setup screen and completely disable the capacity cutoff 'feature'. IMO, capacity cutoff for lipolys is more of an annoyance than a useful safety feature.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:14 AM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Nov 2005
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Yes. Go into the setup screen and completely disable the capacity cutoff 'feature'. IMO, capacity cutoff for lipolys is more of an annoyance than a useful safety feature.

Mark
Thank you Mark! Much appreciate!
kouasupra is offline Find More Posts by kouasupra
Old Oct 23, 2011, 07:59 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
San Diego
Joined Dec 2003
1,535 Posts
Do you have the manual for your charger? If not you can download them from progressive RC, just click on your charger and there is a manual button down the page a bit. http://www.progressiverc.com/charger...-chargers.html

Mine shows
CONNECTION BREAKDOWN
This will be displayed when an interruption of the connection between
battery and the charger output has been detected during charging or
discharging.

CAPACITY OVER SHUTDOWN
The capacity (mAh) charged or discharged reached the configured
protection limit.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:54 PM
Auckland
Joined Mar 2010
271 Posts
Charger not terminating at 4.2 on 4s

Thanks again BGR, Charles and Fred. I have tried all the options, and NO, there is no warning, and YES, this problem is consistently reproduced. I do note Charles, as you said earlier, that someone else did report the same issue with the 208b, with Junsi stating that they would post a reply. However trawling through a lot of the thread since, they have Not replied with an answer. Unfortunately I will have to take my chances with HK. Are Progressive RC good for Overseas customers as well?
unhinged is offline Find More Posts by unhinged
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:46 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhinged View Post
Hello folk. Looking for some ideas. I recently received a 208b from HK (I am in NZ). I have charged some 2s 3s and recently a 4s turnigy 1000mah that has been charged on another charger about 5 x previously and terminated at the correct 4.20 on all 4 cells. With the new 208b, all the 2s and 3s batts have completed at 4.20v but the first charge of the 4s terminated at 4.26v on all 4 cells. I am using the normal balance charge with the first screen correctly identifying 4s, correct termination voltage programmed, balance mode turned to 'always' and trickle charge 'off'.
Needless to say the battery is no longer very happy. I confirmed these voltages a reasonably accurate trade quality multimeter, which shows all cells at 4.26v.

Any ideas Junsi or others.
Hello sir,

Sorry for the delay reply. You can try to test this problem via using the battery with more cells, such as 6S or 8S, when connecting the batteries, press STOP button for three seconds to monitor the voltage of each cell to see if there is any difference between the displayed voltage and measured voltage. And show us the data for the difference of which cells, so we can offer you the further method. Thanks for your cooperation.

Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:45 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhinged View Post
I have tried all the options, and NO, there is no warning, and YES, this problem is consistently reproduced.
So lowering the termination voltage had no effect (still 4.26V/cell)?
Have you tried the LiIon and Life modes? LiFe mode should definitely give a warning when a charged LiPo is connected.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:23 AM
Joined Oct 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Pb batteries do not take well to deep cycling as it shortens their life. Do a charge and a single discharge if you must but it is better to just check their capacity while being used.
Charles
I dosn't need many cycles.
When i discharge a Pb battery with 20Ah or more it will take a long time. I can not check every hour the discharging is done.
The charger must only start at this point the charging mode.
Where is the problem?

The time in the discharged state is more critical for the Pb battery as an deep cycle.

Best regards,
maex
maex is offline Find More Posts by maex
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:35 AM
Auckland
Joined Mar 2010
271 Posts
I tried with termination voltage at 4.1, and things just steadily continued past 4.22, at which stage I stopped.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:47 AM
Auckland
Joined Mar 2010
271 Posts
Thank you for getting back to me. I will try the 3sec stop button idea. So far I have just used the 'inc' button during the charge. I have removed the battery to check each cell with an independent meter, which always shows exactly the same voltage as the 208b, whether during charge or after -- which at present is 4.26 on each single cell. This is after some time, so there is no 'sag'. Unfortunately I have no bigger batteries, other than 4s. I live in a small place and do not know anyone with bigger than 4s.

So far I have used a stable PSU delivering about 11.95V.

Just another point -- my computer (64bit windows 7), does not recognise the charger at all. It does not even see it via the USB connection. ??? is this related or another matter.

I will get back to you soon when trying the stop button trick. It is night time here and the family do not like the 'beeps'!
Last edited by unhinged; Oct 25, 2011 at 04:49 AM. Reason: info left off
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:16 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,361 Posts
Once again no explanation at all how 3S can be perfect at 4.2 and going to 4S all cells go to 4.26.

Suggesting the owner try charger with more cells does not really help understand what is happening.

Does the charger use some kind of voltage divider network which is only accurate with a certain number of cells.
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:01 AM
Fredericksburg, VA
Joined Aug 2008
48 Posts
if i buy two icharge 208b chargers, what kind of power supply with two ports that match the both chargers at the same time?
Kovit is offline Find More Posts by Kovit
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:37 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,405 Posts
To get the full rated output power from a 208B you need a 24V/17A, 400W power supply. So to power two you need a total of 24V/34A, 800W.

There are not many PS that meet that specification and very few that come as standard with dual outputs. Someone might know of one.

There are good selections of PS (and accessory cables) at epbuddy and progressiverc

You could get a Meanwell 24V/1000W supply and then use multiple sets of ring terminal output cables, one set for each charger. Or for a similar investment you could get two smaller PS, one for each charger.

If you can live with a small reduction in output power then you can use one of the inexpensive 15V supplies for each charger. I run mine from a Junsi P350 (15V/23A, 350W) and can get up to about 310W charger output power.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Oct 25, 2011, 05:39 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
To get the full rated output power from a 208B you need a 24V/17A, 400W power supply. So to power two you need a total of 24V/34A, 800W.

There are not many PS that meet that specification and very few that come as standard with dual outputs. Someone might know of one.

There are good selections of PS (and accessory cables) at epbuddy and progressiverc

You could get a Meanwell 24V/1000W supply and then use multiple sets of ring terminal output cables, one set for each charger. Or for a similar investment you could get two smaller PS, one for each charger.

If you can live with a small reduction in output power then you can use one of the inexpensive 15V supplies for each charger. I run mine from a Junsi P350 (15V/23A, 350W) and can get up to about 310W charger output power.
You can easily power 2 chargers with 2 CHEAP surplus server PS. You are only talking 800W, that is on the low side of what you can get from server PS wired in series. Easily attainable for maybe as little as $50.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Oct 25, 2011, 08:31 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
San Diego
Joined Dec 2003
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Does the charger use some kind of voltage divider network which is only accurate with a certain number of cells.
That is a scarry thought!
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:44 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,405 Posts
Ah, here is one (30V/80A, 2000W @ $550) with QUAD outputs, not cheap though!
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-30V-80A-2000W

Or this one (30V/40A, 1000W @ $300) but the secondary outputs are only rated for 17A each:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-30V-40A-1000W

kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly