HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2011, 04:00 AM
Waterloo, Belgium
Joined Dec 2004
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
Are you referring to the charging of multi Walkera batteries? If so, serial charging will be almost as fast as a normal 1C charge, since the bleeding current of the balancer is almost 1C.

Fred
As far as I understand, you are charging those multi Walkera batteries in parallel, there is no balancing needed because each pack is only one cell.

Doing that, you are limited by the current the charger can provide.

Example: the iCharger 3010B can charge 10s3p a123 at 30A but cannot charge 5s6p at 60A...
ramboman is offline Find More Posts by ramboman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2011, 04:47 AM
Auckland
Joined Mar 2010
278 Posts
Yes, the charger does show 4.26 via the balance ports. This is the first thing I noticed, and then checked with multimeter. I checked it again a few times with the same result. As you say BGR -- maybe got a bad one. Any other ideas before I check the cost of getting it back to HK.
unhinged is offline Find More Posts by unhinged
Old Oct 22, 2011, 05:30 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhinged View Post
Yes, the charger does show 4.26 via the balance ports. This is the first thing I noticed, and then checked with multimeter. I checked it again a few times with the same result. As you say BGR -- maybe got a bad one. Any other ideas before I check the cost of getting it back to HK.
Check the LiPo termination voltage setting. It could be that it's actually set to 4.26V. The range is 4.00 to 4.30V.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Oct 22, 2011, 06:14 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,500 Posts
Sad but true,as more and more reply to a post fewer and fewer go to the trouble of looking back for the original post to see what they may in fact be responding to.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11322

Snip from this user's OP

Quote:
All the 2s and 3s batts have completed at 4.20v but the first charge of the 4s terminated at 4.26v on all 4 cells. I am using the normal balance charge with the first screen correctly identifying 4s, correct termination voltage, balance mode turned to 'always' and trickle charge 'off'.

To me it sounds like other iCharger's user's reports where a 2S or 3S charges fine but a 4S causes issues. Sometimes a 4 or 5S charges fine but a 6S causes issues.

There is a pdf in the first post of this thread whic covers how to calibrate the ichargers and many have done so and there seems to be a post a week on these issues.

What noone has explained is how calabration can be correct for a 3S but be off for a 4,6,10S . If 3S balances to 4.2 now and a 4S balancing to 4.26 what happens when you recalibrate using a 6S for a 106 , 206,3006.

Why would these not be calibrated at the factory? Why would calabration change fro 4.2 to 4.26 per cell with some of these chargers with very little useage?
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Oct 22, 2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:45 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,867 Posts
Just recieved a Turnigy 5s 2200mah 30c batt to convert a drill,all of my other R/C batts are 2s and smallish 1300 mah or less my 106B charges all to 4.20v so all is good there.I have cycled this new batt 3 times and firstly i see this charger wont do more than .75A discharge,is this the max discharge of the 106B?I only use storage as the batt usually gets discharged by use,and the other thing is the IR reading this 5s batt reads 4 2 2 0 2 is cell no4 that good is has 0 resistance whereas the nanotec 2s 850mah read 14 15 from new.Reading what you guys have said this IR thing is still a grey area for me.Why do small batts read high IR and the new bigger batt read low with one being 0?? is the charger lying.
The Tug is online now Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:06 PM
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramboman View Post
When you charge two packs at a different level of charge, the following happens:
* in serie: it will take a long, long time to balance...
* in parallel: you get a short when connecting them together...
Current is not limited and you may burn a lipo...
I use parallel or serial charging only for cells that are permanently working together like:
* Two times two a123 for RX, charged as 4s...
* 12s2p a123 for power...

I disagree with the statements above, in particular that connecting cells in parallel causes a "short". Current is limited not only by the higher voltage battery's ability to maintain it's higher voltage under load, but there is also resistance in the lower voltage battery while it is receiving. The charger applies a higher voltage to the battery than its current level in order to force the energy into the battery; the greater the voltage difference, the higher the rate of charge. While connecting batteries together that are at significantly different states of charge can result in an undesirable amount of current flow, a little care and common sense can avoid that situation.

When connecting batteries in series, the balancer will need to bleed off everything to the level of the lowest cell, and you specific charger, how its set, and the cell's energy level differences will determine how long that takes. simply, don't use this method for cells that are at significantly different states of charge or have differing capacities.

I respect your choice for only using these methods for permanently connected cells, and each individual is ultimately responsible for doing there own research and making their own choices. These choices become harder to make when there is so much erroneous and conflicting information posted.

-Chocula
Chocula is offline Find More Posts by Chocula
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:06 PM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Why would these not be calibrated at the factory? Why would calabration change fro 4.2 to 4.26 per cell with some of these chargers with very little useage?
In this case it isn't a calibration issue. The charger displayed the correct voltages.

FYI, I read the post you so kindly linked to, but at the time it was posted. I somehow got the information wrong and thought the OK charges were done with another charger.

Anyway, adjusting the termination voltage might be a way to troubleshoot this strange behaviour (charging past the termination setting).

Fred
Old Oct 22, 2011, 02:42 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,648 Posts
What if the battery cells were already above 4.2 volts each when the battery was put on the ICharger. Perhaps the software in the ICharger simply began balancing the battery to the lowest cell which was 4.26 volts. Was this scenario unexpected... and the software was never written for such an occurence. Logically it never stopped at the set voltage limit because it never actually charged the battery.

I cant think of any other reason when the 2s and 3s batteries were charged properly.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Oct 22, 2011, 02:49 PM
Auckland
Joined Mar 2010
278 Posts
Thank you again. I know you post very regularly with excellent advice. Having read a lot of this thread, when I have insomnia, I downloaded the calibration PDF pretty quickly before ordering the 208b. I purchased regardless, hoping that I would be one of the lucky ones.

This has been my confusion that 2s and 3s bats at present, terminate at exactly 4.2, but 4s terminate at 4.26 on all cells, so can calibration fix this? As you say though, if I understand you correctly, calibrating for a 4s will alter termination voltages for 3s or 6s for example, and we have achieved nothing, or do I need to go back to school!

Thanks again for helping us folk out.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 02:51 PM
Auckland
Joined Mar 2010
278 Posts
Sounds like a good suggestion BGR, but this battery was down to 3.78 +/- 0.01 on all cells as far as I recall after a flight.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 03:06 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,648 Posts
I think you are right, calibration will not fix this. I would discharge that battery down to storage voltage and try charging it again under supervision to see if it repeats this scenario.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Oct 22, 2011, 03:11 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
What if the battery cells were already above 4.2 volts each when the battery was put on the ICharger. Perhaps the software in the ICharger simply began balancing the battery to the lowest cell which was 4.26 volts. Was this scenario unexpected... and the software was never written for such an occurence. Logically it never stopped at the set voltage limit because it never actually charged the battery.

I cant think of any other reason when the 2s and 3s batteries were charged properly.
If the termination was set to 4.2 as stated and any cell was above this ,4.26 as an example then the charger should have given a cell over voltage error and the charge should have stopped.

There is no logical reason I am aware of that a 2 or 3S charges correctly to 4.2V per cell and a 4S charges to 4.26 per cell.

There have been numerious post however where an iCharger worked great with lower count LiPolys and had issues with higher count LiPolys.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
this case it isn't a calibration issue. The charger displayed the correct voltages.
flarssen
A charger set to charge to 4.2 per cell that chargers each cell to 4.26 perhaps is not a calibration issue to some but IMO it is.

All cell being over voltage is worse than some again IMO.
In this case if cells 1-3 were still balanced to 4.2 and only cell 4 went to 4.26 it would make more sense , at least to me.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Oct 22, 2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 03:15 PM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,251 Posts
And if it happens again, try lowering the termination voltage to 4.1V, just to see if the error is a fixed offset from the termination setting or if the setting is ignored completely.

Fred
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:07 PM
Auckland
Joined Mar 2010
278 Posts
Thanks again Charles and Fred. In a small place like NZ we do not always have access to this sort of knowledge, not to say that there are not plenty of knowledgeable folk out there in NZ.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:59 AM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Nov 2005
63 Posts
Hi....

Very new to the iCharger system. When I charge in parallel I keep getting a message.

Capacity breakdown...something something.. It stops my charging and I would have to start it up again. Is there any way to remove this message? Thanks!
kouasupra is offline Find More Posts by kouasupra