Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 10, 2011, 12:28 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,267 Posts
Those complaining about their charger not charging cells to 4.20V, needs to see what the charger is actually doing. There is a logging feature for this purpose. If the charger is charging at full current until highest cell reaches 4.20V, then gradually reducing current and stop when current reaches 1/10 (normally), it works as it should. If it doesn't, describe what it's actually doing.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:54 AM
Sweden
Joined Mar 2006
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi View Post
Hi HaBo,

When upgrading, please check if you have installed USB driver and iCharger upgrader. If done, please press STOP for three seconds and electrify the charger, and then connect PC with our original USB cable not your other USB cable to upgrade.

Junsi
Hi Junsi,

Thanks for reply,

I have installed USB interface my self (1010B didn't have interface) so how can i use original usb cable? The usb cable i have made my self have worked flawlessly from 3.02 to 3.13. it's just upgrading to 3.14 that dosen't work?
Maybe if i try to find a computer with Win XP it will work.?
HaBo is offline Find More Posts by HaBo
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:03 AM
FPV Flyer
Madrid, Spain
Joined Mar 2006
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post

Cells which charge to 4.2 and drop to 4.1 in one day's time indicate cells which are on their way out.
Charles
I´ve never said that, I said that iCharger stopped charging at that voltage per cell (4.10V) when is set up at 4.2V

On all the above you´ve written, I agree with you.
wavess is offline Find More Posts by wavess
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:41 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,580 Posts
Hi All. I have four 25c Gens Ace 4S 4000mah lipos for my 71 Slick. I'm running these as an 8s setup. I need to upgrade my charger because since i'm running an 8S setup, i only get two flights at the field. I'd like to charge at 2C if possible and maybe higher?

Can someone recommend a good charging solution to take to the field? I'm guessing I'll need a power supply and something like the icharger 3010 or 306B? I'm assuming i can charge two 4S batts in a series as an 8S setup at say 10Amp with the icharger? What power supply do you recommend when charging at home? Also, I'd like the charger to be able to charger at least two 4S lipos concurrently as an 8S setup.

When i'm at the field and I want to charge two 4S batts at the same time at say 2.5C (10amp) so i'm not waiting around forever. Would my car battery supply enough juice to do this so i don't need to lug around a generator and power supply?
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:46 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,557 Posts
One 4Ah (4000 mAh ) charged at 2C takes 8A charge rate , two in parallel would be 16A. Parallel is simplier than series for most .

There are many threads on parallel charging and on power supplies and deep cycles Pb batteries for use at the field when AC is not available.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:22 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,655 Posts
Is the Balance port on the 106B+ capable of charging or does it just discharge to balance?
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:54 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,557 Posts
Just discharges to balance , however any balancing charger can be used to charge and balance by way of the balancing leads with an adapter.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:37 AM
Fun Scaler
EHTX
Joined Jun 2007
150 Posts
Does anyone know the cable size (AWG) for the stock iCharger input cables?

Thanks

-Patriek
Patriek is offline Find More Posts by Patriek
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:56 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
The 3010B and 306B use 12awg. The 208B uses 14awg and I think the rest do also.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:37 PM
Joined Feb 2011
90 Posts
I have a 306b charger (1000w) with a 500w ps. Charging two 6cell gens ace 5300mah in parallel.

They are new batteries and are now on flight #5 for each. I have charged them successfully at 1c (10.6 amps) in this setup a few times now. However last night I received a "Capacity Overload - Breakdown" error and the batteries had a voltage of 24.7 volts after it stopped and beeped (25.2 is 100%)

I looked in the manual here and although they don't have the exact message i saw it seems to indicate this is the problem - "The capacity (mAh) charged or discharged reached the configured protection limit."

My protection limit as as default which is 5000mah.

What am I missing or doing wrong??
avengedkevinfold is offline Find More Posts by avengedkevinfold
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:43 PM
Fun Scaler
EHTX
Joined Jun 2007
150 Posts
5300mAh in parallel = 10600mAh

I have turned the capacity cut-off (default 5000mAh) OFF since I'm charging in parallel. You could try the same

Hope this helps

-Patriek
Patriek is offline Find More Posts by Patriek
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:52 PM
Joined Feb 2011
90 Posts
Thanks for your quick response. One more easy question.

When charging in this manner (parallel 6c 5300 mah) my 100% voltage should be 25.20 volts.

However when finishing the balancing process sometimes my voltage goes up to 25.24 volts. Not sure if this is normal? I haven't had my other chargers ever do this. Can someone explain whats going on?
avengedkevinfold is offline Find More Posts by avengedkevinfold
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:53 PM
Joined Aug 2008
30 Posts
Junsi,

I have a feature request regarding cycling. Now, cycling mode combines simple "Charge"/"Discharge" modes, which, seems like, do not use balancing port. And this leads to premature termination of charge/discharge due to high voltage drop in wires. To solve this issue, "Cycle" mode could read cell voltage on balancing port, if it is connected.

I frequently need to cycle (full 0-100% range) big cells at maximum possible current (I use iCharger 208B, so it's 20A) and basically I would use external resistor in series to the cell, to discharge it quickly without overloading the charger. But doing so does not let me to cycle the cell, as voltage drops almost immediately. What I need, is ability to cycle the cell with that resistor connected, and voltage reading on balancing port will solve that.

Also, if series resistance is introduced to normal charging modes, charging current greatly reduces if whole voltage reaches 4V (on LiFePO4 cells), while cell itself is only 3.3V or so... I guess this is some kind of bad-connection protection, but I need a workaround for this.

It should be a very quick feature implementation: simply check if balancing port is connected and read voltage values from there. If not, then read voltage on battery terminals. My company needs this feature very badly. Might buy a few more iChargers with such feature.
circuit is offline Find More Posts by circuit
Last edited by circuit; Oct 12, 2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:41 AM
Joined Oct 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by circuit View Post
Junsi,

I have a feature request regarding cycling. Now, cycling mode combines simple "Charge"/"Discharge" modes, which, seems like, do not use balancing port. And this leads to premature termination of charge/discharge due to high voltage drop in wires. To solve this issue, "Cycle" mode could read cell voltage on balancing port, if it is connected.

I frequently need to cycle (full 0-100% range) big cells at maximum possible current (I use iCharger 208B, so it's 20A) and basically I would use external resistor in series to the cell, to discharge it quickly without overloading the charger. But doing so does not let me to cycle the cell, as voltage drops almost immediately. What I need, is ability to cycle the cell with that resistor connected, and voltage reading on balancing port will solve that.

Also, if series resistance is introduced to normal charging modes, charging current greatly reduces if whole voltage reaches 4V (on LiFePO4 cells), while cell itself is only 3.3V or so... I guess this is some kind of bad-connection protection, but I need a workaround for this.

It should be a very quick feature implementation: simply check if balancing port is connected and read voltage values from there. If not, then read voltage on battery terminals. My company needs this feature very badly. Might buy a few more iChargers with such feature.
Yes, a "Cycle" Mode with discharge+ would be nice.
If an external series resistor connected, may be works a schottky diode parallel to the resistor (Katode to the + of the battery) to reduce the voltage drop in the charging Mode.

Also i need the "Cycle(+) " Mode for the Pb-Battery.

Best regards
maex
maex is offline Find More Posts by maex
Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:22 AM
Czech Republic, Hlavní město Praha, Prague
Joined Oct 2010
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avengedkevinfold View Post
Thanks for your quick response. One more easy question.

When charging in this manner (parallel 6c 5300 mah) my 100% voltage should be 25.20 volts.

However when finishing the balancing process sometimes my voltage goes up to 25.24 volts. Not sure if this is normal? I haven't had my other chargers ever do this. Can someone explain whats going on?
If you have balance wires connected, it is normal.
The charger compensate for power wire loss - reading the actual voltage from the balance wires.
jointer is offline Find More Posts by jointer