to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2011, 03:11 PM
Jarhead
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2011
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invert View Post
Wow,742 page's is ALOT to read so I hope someone can help me out here .I checked my 6S lipo with a multi-meter and the charger need's calibrated.How do I calibrate a 3010B ?
Thanks in advance..
Have you looked at the calibration pdf?
wheelbarrowjack is offline Find More Posts by wheelbarrowjack
Old Sep 21, 2011, 04:55 PM
Poland
Joined Nov 2010
462 Posts
Quote:
I checked my 6S lipo with a multi-meter and the charger need's calibrated.
What multimeter? Are you sure it's more accurate than iCharger?
LeszekJ is offline Find More Posts by LeszekJ
Old Sep 21, 2011, 06:19 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,827 Posts
Quote:
I checked my 6S lipo with a multi-meter and the charger need's calibrated.
What, specifically, did you measure on your 6S lipo that made you determine that your charger was in need of calibration? Did you measure each individual cell with your multimeter and find that it read differently than when performing same measurement with your iCharger?
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2011, 01:40 AM
Czech Republic, Hlavní město Praha, Prague
Joined Oct 2010
205 Posts
I know a person who had cells 5 and 6 charging nearly to 4.30V.
So yes, that happens.
But me and my friend have 4x 3010B in total and our units were fine (we done only small adjustments in mV range, because we charge 12S packs with 2 units).
jointer is offline Find More Posts by jointer
Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:26 AM
Joined Jun 2008
270 Posts
Thanks wheelbarrowjack for the link which helped and jointer for understanding thing's aren't prefect .All cell's on all 4 pack's were 4.20 other than 4 and 6 which were 4.17/4.17.That's with the charger reading and my Snap-On Multi-Meter..
invert is offline Find More Posts by invert
Old Sep 22, 2011, 03:25 AM
Joined Oct 2010
205 Posts
One hint - charge in the slow balance mode, measure after also trickle phase is done.
But it depends how precise you want it.
I believe i have my iChargers calibrated to 1-3mV precision.
I do not balance charge anyway, but it is good to have it right.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:18 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,827 Posts
Quote:
Thanks wheelbarrowjack for the link which helped and jointer for understanding thing's aren't prefect .All cell's on all 4 pack's were 4.20 other than 4 and 6 which were 4.17/4.17.That's with the charger reading and my Snap-On Multi-Meter..
Perhaps I am missing something here but if the individual cell readings on the charger are identical to your multimeter, then it would seem that there is absolutely no need for calibration...

Presume that each of the 4 packs were charged individually (not in parallel) and with the charger in balance charge mode? Also, what charge rate was selected?

I also agree that things aren't always perfect but I have seen as many incorrect diagnoses as bad hardware.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:35 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,501 Posts
IMO if one charges 4 seperate 6S LiPolys cell # 1,2,3,5 are 4.20 and cell # 4 and 6 are 4.17 according to the iCharger's display and a know accurate DVM then no recalibration is required.

To many expect way to much accuracy from hobby grade equipment and place way to much faith in what said equipment shows them.IMO.

Take said charged / balanced LiPolys and let them set for several hours and then recheck thier voltages. Take on fresh off of charge connect to RC power system, run motor at 1/2 throttle for 15 seconds then recheck the cell's voltages.

As long as the cells are not be charged past 4.235 and are above 4.15 and there is no extremely difference / inbalance then it really makes little to no difference unless one is using extremely expensive LiPolys in extreme applications.

Today with balancing chargers which cost less than $200 and LiPolys which cost less than $50 many are more concerned than miost use to be when chargers cost $400 and LiPolys cost 4 to 6X present pricent and that was for LiPolys with 1/4 of todays performance.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Sep 22, 2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:22 PM
Gaz
Coventry, U.K.
Joined Jan 2010
11 Posts
I have a problem : iCharger 208B, Setup Used : Using 20A 12v stabilised PSU, Balance charging 6S 4500 to 3S 400, all Loong Max lipo. Charger is showing a fault when charging 3/4S packs. If I connect a 3S pack & try to charge, says 'Bal Low'. When checking the cell voltage, it reads the 3 cells ok, but also shows a fourth cell at around 1.14V, even though its a 3S pack connected. same error with 4S packs.. Have swapped the balance board with another identical one (my friend has the same charger), fault remains. have used my board with friends Icharger, & my lipos, all is ok, so fault would appear to be with my charger. Should I return it for replacement, or might it be a software issue that I can sort using the Icharger program? This has been up to now a 5* charger, & I'm reluctant to do without it for a long time, as i regularly charge 6S packs, which my other charger cannot handle.

Further to my previous message, here's some more info.When connecting the 3S pack, I get 'Bal Low' message. when trying to start charge, i get 'Balance port cell low vol' error. if i check the cell voltage, it shows 3 healthy cells all at 3.81v, then a cell 4 at 1.11v. Have double checked the balance board for continuity, all ok. Have also checked the cell voltage with a fluke multimeter, and all cells show 3.81v. Have also checked software for latest vesion. If i try to non-balance charge a 3S pack without the balance connector plugged in, its fine, but if i try with it connected, I get the same error. Any ideas?
gazzacov is offline Find More Posts by gazzacov
Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:56 PM
H19
United States, ME, South Portland
Joined Feb 2011
187 Posts
206B+ help

ok so im charging my first ever lipo batt,
I plugged everything in, and did the auto-balance-charge,
i pushed the start button for 3 sec, and it started up,,,

1-How do i know when it has finished charging?
does it beep?
or does it shut down?

I read the manual but im confused,,
thanks
jp
H19 is offline Find More Posts by H19
Old Sep 22, 2011, 03:04 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H19 View Post
1-How do i know when it has finished charging?
does it beep?
or does it shut down?
Yes and yes.

The beep is user-configurable.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:14 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzacov View Post
I have a problem : iCharger 208B, Setup Used : Using 20A 12v stabilised PSU, Balance charging 6S 4500 to 3S 400, all Loong Max lipo. Charger is showing a fault when charging 3/4S packs. If I connect a 3S pack & try to charge, says 'Bal Low'. When checking the cell voltage, it reads the 3 cells ok, but also shows a fourth cell at around 1.14V, even though its a 3S pack connected. same error with 4S packs.. Have swapped the balance board with another identical one (my friend has the same charger), fault remains. have used my board with friends Icharger, & my lipos, all is ok, so fault would appear to be with my charger. Should I return it for replacement, or might it be a software issue that I can sort using the Icharger program? This has been up to now a 5* charger, & I'm reluctant to do without it for a long time, as i regularly charge 6S packs, which my other charger cannot handle.

Further to my previous message, here's some more info.When connecting the 3S pack, I get 'Bal Low' message. when trying to start charge, i get 'Balance port cell low vol' error. if i check the cell voltage, it shows 3 healthy cells all at 3.81v, then a cell 4 at 1.11v. Have double checked the balance board for continuity, all ok. Have also checked the cell voltage with a fluke multimeter, and all cells show 3.81v. Have also checked software for latest vesion. If i try to non-balance charge a 3S pack without the balance connector plugged in, its fine, but if i try with it connected, I get the same error. Any ideas?
Hello Gazzacov,

Please check the PM we have sent to you. Thanks for your cooperation.

Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:01 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,194 Posts
Hi Junsi,

now that I read it, I remember that I also got this error once or twice. Could you send me that PM as well?

Apart from that, have you had time to read the mail where I sent you the following suggestions?

Cheers,

Julez

###########

Hello Junsi,
Here are some of my suggestions:

1) Fastmod LiXX Charging
I have recently learned about a new fast charge method for LiPos (and other Lixx packs).
This method is built up on the theory, that a cell can be divided into the charge storage (galvanic cell), and a resistor (the inner resistance).
When the cell is charged, the total cell voltage consists of both the voltage of the galvanic cell (charge storage), and the voltage drop across the resistor.
Important for the CV phase of the charge is only the voltage of the galvanic cell, but not the one of the resistor.
But normal chargers can only take the sum of both into account during a charge, thus reducing the charge current and terminating the charge process too early. One can easily see this, as most packs have a sudden voltage drop when the charger stops charging.
This new method makes little pauses during the charge without current. Then the voltage is checked. Without current, we do not have a voltage drop across the resistor; hence the charger only sees the actually important voltage of the galvanic cell.
During charge, the total cell voltage is allowed to go up to 4.35V (LiPo), but only, if the "resting voltage" (without current) of the cell stays at or below 4.20V.
It is said, that this considerably reduces charge time, while not compromising the batteries cycle life.
I think that this might be an interesting feature to add to the charger. I would gladly do the field testing work.

2) Charge termination on unbalanced packs
Every now and then, one hears complaints that an iCharger failed to balance a pack completely. One of my friends, who also bought an iCharger on my recommendation, ran into the same problem. I never have the problem, but this could be due to my setting “trickle charge on”.
I assume that the following is going on:
If a severely unbalanced pack is charged with a high current, the balancing process might not be finished by the time the current is reduced to 1/10. When the current is reduced to 1/10, the charge process stops, but the balancing is not finished yet.
So my suggestion would be to stop the charge process only, if all cells have the same voltage and are balanced.
Maybe, the message “BAL” could be displayed alternating/blinking at aht place of the current in the display, so that the user is informed why everything takes so long.

3) Set separate current reduction values for “alarm” and “charge termination”
As I read, many people want their batteries charged as fast as possible, and therefore choose the “fast charge” option, although the battery is not charged as full as possible here, like in the slower “balance charge” mode.
I think that there is a very elegant solution to the underlying problem.
One does not necessarily have to stop the charge, when the alarm sounds.
I once had a charger (Orbit Pocketlader), where one could set two different current reduction values for the alarm and the charge termination.
For example, 1/5 for the alarm, and 1/20 for the charge termination.
So, when the current is reduced to 1/5, the alarm sounds, and the user knows that the pack is ready, and can disconnect it. However, if the user does not need the pack yet, as he is having barbecue or a beer or he is still flying, the charge continues until the user has time to disconnect the pack. This way, the pack will be completely charged until 1/20 current reduction.
Many people really liked this feature on the Pocketlader.
This would leave you with two options, “balance charge” and “charge”. Either one would be as quick as the “fast charge”, but also totally complete at the same time, when one leaves the battery connected after the alarm.

4) NiXX forming charge
During the years, I noticed that NiXX packs which need a forming charge all behave quite different, so that the algorithm we once developed failed to work in some cases. As most people who want a forming charge are in no rush, it does not matter if it lasts a little longer.
Also, some people have a problem when they are supposed to set the capacity, as it is the case now, as they have to set a charge current in all other programs
So my suggestion would be this simple method, which should work with any pack:
a) set charge current
b) press start
Then, the chargers charges for 14h with the set current, and then terminates the charge. This way is more equal to the traditional forming charge people know.

Kind regards, Julian
Julez is online now Find More Posts by Julez
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:23 AM
Joined Oct 2010
205 Posts
+1 for faster charging method.
When i do 4C charge on my packs without balancing, there is 5 minute CC phase and 5 minute CV phase down to 1/10 current.
I must try how long it take when i connect balance cables, but i have my reasons why not to connect them.
What i know is the voltage on the output goes higher over full charge voltage, because the charger sense the voltage drop of the cables, because it have reading from balance connectors.