HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2011, 11:17 AM
United States, MO, Marshall
Joined Sep 2009
554 Posts
I just got my 106B+ Came with 3.14 installed and have only done a few discharges and charges, but no zero current for me. Working great so far.

Dan
Slow_Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Slow_Buzz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2011, 11:31 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,429 Posts
Two charges w/3010B off Pb-2S doing my Cub's A123-10S2P (w/o bal) @ 30amps: nearly 50amps off the Pbs and 40% more mAH.
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jul 04, 2011, 01:12 PM
Poland
Joined Nov 2010
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
two charges w/3010b off pb-2s
12s?
LeszekJ is offline Find More Posts by LeszekJ
Old Jul 04, 2011, 02:14 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,029 Posts
Two 12V deep cycles in series, obviously.

True that each deep cycle Pb is 6 cells in series so if one is splitting hairs...
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2011, 07:03 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,429 Posts
Maybe a cool acronym is needed for 12V Deep Cylce; what would for you guys?
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jul 07, 2011, 12:10 AM
Joined Feb 2008
2,701 Posts
Can anyone help me understand this passage from the icharger manual?

Quote:
Note: iCharger 206B can support Pb (lead-acid) foaming charge. First, you should start the setting of "Trickle" in "NiMH/NiCd/PbTrickle". It won‘t foam charge until the voltage is less than 2.25V/cell.
Googling the phrase "foaming charge" brings up many links to iCharger manuals but I can't find any description.

I'm hoping to charge a AGM lead acid battery with the iCharger. "foam charge" sounds like it could be an equalization charge -??? (I'm guessing, since there are bubbles with equalization charges) I believe that equalization charges are rarely or never supposed to be done on AGMs, so I would like to turn this "off". However the directions for setting the value of Trickle (to no specified value) is confusing and the comment about voltage sounds like it is describing a discharge function, so I'm really lost here.
Dave H. is online now Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 02:58 AM
m72
Joined Jun 2011
9 Posts
Hmm...
1. Regenerative discharge is a great thing.
2. Only I see on my 106B+ the 'LiLo" battery type? "L" is written in lowercase - "l" not "I" ("i").
3. I turned off the fan and forgot about it. Then I tried to discharge the battery and the internal temperature gone up to 60C. Is it critical?
Where is the internal temperature sensor?
Has the 106B+ the temperature protection?
m72 is offline Find More Posts by m72
Last edited by m72; Jul 07, 2011 at 04:02 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 03:21 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,112 Posts
iCharger is great. Best charger I had until this date.
Memory works great. At memory 2 I have "storage" and this way...easy going to set LiPoly at storage level.
Funny that it does memory also the other settings, like the buzz ect....

The special menu is cool, but would be great if you press "enter" that "IR measure" shows up first, instead of this motor thing. I do not use brushed motors and "IR measure" is IMO the most important part of the special menu
TreeDiver is offline Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Old Jul 07, 2011, 04:57 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m72 View Post
Hmm...
1. Regenerative discharge is a great thing.
2. Only I see on my 106B+ the 'LiLo" battery type? "L" is written in lowercase - "l" not "I" ("i").
3. I turned off the fan and forgot about it. Then I tried to discharge the battery and the internal temperature gone up to 60C. Is it critical?
Where is the internal temperature sensor?
Has the 106B+ the temperature protection?
(2) = You can select between LiPo, LiIo(n) and LiFe

(3) = Why would you turn off the fan? Not a good idea. You might have cooked something but you might be OK.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jul 07, 2011, 06:47 AM
m72
Joined Jun 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
(2) = You can select between LiPo, LiIo(n) and LiFe
I mean that LiIo is not written properly it is written as Lilo. (Lilo & Stich ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
(3) = Why would you turn off the fan? Not a good idea. You might have cooked something but you might be OK.
Yes. It is not good idea. I turned off the fan accidentally and now I am interested what can be damaged.
m72 is offline Find More Posts by m72
Old Jul 07, 2011, 07:41 AM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H. View Post
Can anyone help me understand this passage from the icharger manual?

Googling the phrase "foaming charge" brings up many links to iCharger manuals but I can't find any description.
I'm guessing they meant to write "forming charge" instead. As far as I can tell "forming charge" applies only to initial lead-acid battery manufacture and the proper term for what they are trying to describe is the "float charge".

The typical LiXX charge cycle adjusted to lead-acid battery voltages provides the constant current and topping charge shown here, but lacks the float charge so they say to use a NiXX trickle charge to perform this portion of a proper lead-acid charge.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Jul 07, 2011, 09:10 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,220 Posts
Can anyone tell me the size of the DC power input plug on the 106B+? I've searched, and have been unable to find anything. I know it's limited to 6A, but I will just be charging small batteries (for my mCP X, 1S, 300mAh, with up to ~9 charging in parallel) to start. I just ordered my 106B+, and I'd like to power it from a small AC->DC adapter, like a laptop-style power brick. Maybe like a 14-18V, 5A unit, something like that.

I can convert a spare PC power supply, but a little brick like this will still be more power than I need at the moment, and this would be small, simple, and silent

Am I correct that I will need to cap the input banana plugs somehow (or somehow keep them from shorting), because they will be live if you power it from the DC jack? Would I be better off cutting the DC plug off the power brick's output cable, putting banana receptacles on it, and using the main banana power inputs, even from my little power brick?

Sounds like a great charger (and a step up from my Blade/EFlite chargers), I'm looking forward to getting to try it. Thanks.
RedOctobyr is online now Find More Posts by RedOctobyr
Last edited by RedOctobyr; Jul 07, 2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Clarifying batteries
Old Jul 07, 2011, 11:42 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM732 View Post
I'm guessing they meant to write "forming charge" instead. As far as I can tell "forming charge" applies only to initial lead-acid battery manufacture and the proper term for what they are trying to describe is the "float charge".
Ah! I was looking for a mistranslation that was similar in function, but I think you are right - it's a mistranslation to a similarly spelled word. The rest of the statement makes sense if they are talking about a float charge.
Dave H. is online now Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 04:49 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H. View Post
Ah! I was looking for a mistranslation that was similar in function, but I think you are right - it's a mistranslation to a similarly spelled word. The rest of the statement makes sense if they are talking about a float charge.
Hello Dave,

Sorry to cause you this confusion for our mistranslation, the "foaming charge" should be revised to "forming charge" (proper term is "float charge"), and thanks SteveM732 for pointing out this problem, we will correct it in our manual.

Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Jul 08, 2011, 08:05 AM
United States, NE, Grand Island
Joined Dec 2007
2 Posts
Smoked 106B+

I have been using the 106B+ for about a year now with good results until last night. I was getting ready to charge a 4 cell AA NiMH (4.8v) receiver pack. Doing a NiMH manual charge at 1.0 amps. Hit the start button and unit said it was "checking battery voltage". After about 3-4 seconds I realized I had not pushed the charging connector on the battery all the way in. While the unit was still "checking battery voltage" I pushed the connector together and smoke rolled out of the charger....total loss. Burned several components and the board. I verified that the charger output polarity was correct so a dead short wasn't the problem. Cycled the battery with a different charger and it is up to spec so the battery appears to be fine also. I don't know if plugging the battery in while the unit was "checking battery voltage" caused the failure or not.
spinkgi is offline Find More Posts by spinkgi