HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 26, 2011, 02:44 PM
Southern Pride
everydayflyer's Avatar
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,545 Posts
Quote:
I tested it at 30A charge of Pb 12V battery.

Are you trying to charge a 12Pb at 30 amps. or are you using the 12Pb as a power source? If as a power source what are you charging?

If you are charging a 12V PB what are yiu using for a power source?

Non of the iChargers will output 1000 watts with 12V input. Check power out chart at different volts input in the owner's manual.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2011, 03:07 PM
Registered User
Czech Republic, Hlavní město Praha, Prague
Joined Oct 2010
205 Posts
I charge 100Ah LiFeYPo4 (max allowed current 50A) at Pb program, 30A.
It is set to terminate at 15V (2.50V/cell).
I use my other year old 3010B with exactly the same settings without problems (maybe hundred charges like this over last year).
PS is lab grade CCCV max 16.2V/63A set to 14.7V (because i have other charger connected to it, which does not work above this voltage).

This new unit ramps to 9-10A, back to 6A, then to 26-27A where it stays.
Display of the PS shows similar current.

The charge is finished and i cannot test it again, until the LiFeYPO4 will be discharged at the field.
jointer is offline Find More Posts by jointer
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 03:30 PM
Registered User
Czech Republic, Hlavní město Praha, Prague
Joined Oct 2010
205 Posts
And image how the degrees symbol look.
It does not happen every time.
Never seen that on old unit.
I just updated the old from 3.13h to 3.14 and reflashed the new (it had 4.14).
jointer is offline Find More Posts by jointer
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2011, 09:49 AM
Registered User
Deutschland
Joined May 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
Make it user-settable, at which point during the CV charge phase the completion ring occurs. I once had a charger (Orbit Pocketlader) where this was possible.
The completion ring should be connected with current reduction. So one could enter a % value of the charge current, when the completion ring should occur.
Hello Julez,

thats a good idea. My Hyperion makes it so, but the value is not user-settable.

Greetings from another Kraut
msdigital is offline Find More Posts by msdigital
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2011, 04:41 PM
CloggieCopter™
CloggieUK's Avatar
United Kingdom, East Grinstead
Joined Feb 2010
277 Posts
Hi guys,

I've got an iCharger 106B+ and it has been working perfectly for just under a year. Today, I charged two 3S LiPo's like I normally do and the charging process started like normal.

After about 52 mins it was beeping like normal to say the charging had finished but the display was only showing 11.73V and 855mAh put back in two 2200mAh packs in parallel @ 4.4A which didn't seem right to me. Pressing any of the butons to get more info wasn't working; the display appeared to be frozen.

The charging time was quite normal so I decided to reset the charger. It rebooted and now I only get square blocks on the top line of the display. Hooked it up to the PC and started Logview which is showing 4.2V per cell so it appears that the packs are charged. However it also shows the word "error" behind the mode. I obviously can't check the charger as to which mode it is in at the moment but it was in balance charge mode before so I assume it is still in that mode.

Anybody come across this problem and how can I fix this (if it can be fixed but surely a charger should last longer than under a year)? The charger has never worked hard and only ever charged max 4.4A to charge two 3S 2200mAh packs in parallel at a time. I've also tried re-flashing the charger but although the charger seems to load the firmware and beeps when it finishes, the display still has the blocks on the top line.
CloggieUK is offline Find More Posts by CloggieUK
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:21 AM
Registered User
thomanie's Avatar
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,801 Posts
Firmware fix request

@junsi:

Noticed this minor issue on my 3010B (v3.14) yesterday that you might want to consider fixing.

I was checking multiple 3S packs in monitor mode to start a parallel charge:
1) Connect battery #1 to balance breakout board only
2) Press start for 3 sec
== > voltages show up - as expected.
3) Disconnect battery #1 from the breakout board
==> charger beeps - as expected.

Instead of pressing stop, and start for another 3 sec,
4) connect battery number #2 to the breakout board
==> voltages of battery #2 show up, as expected

... but the charger still, unexpectedly, continues to beep.

Ok, I admit to having been very sloppy, but I imagine others would too in the same situation, having to press start + stop for every battery in a "large" batch.

Thanks again for an amazing product!

Thomas
thomanie is offline Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:37 PM
Flying motor mount master
fly_boy99's Avatar
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Besides the fact that I may like beating a dead horse coupled with the fact that I have a bunch of older packs:

How accurate is the IR measurement of the 208B?

Is it fairly close? and when do you guys pitch your packs at 30ohms per cell ? +-?

B
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 02:11 PM
Registered User
SteveM732's Avatar
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_boy99 View Post
How accurate is the IR measurement of the 208B?

Is it fairly close?
There is no standard way of measuring IR so all you can do is use it for comparative purposes. Compare one pack to another or the pack today compared to when it was new. Can also compare cell IR's to look for a bad one.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 02:15 PM
CloggieCopter™
CloggieUK's Avatar
United Kingdom, East Grinstead
Joined Feb 2010
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloggieUK View Post
Hi guys,

I've got an iCharger 106B+ and it has been working perfectly for just under a year. Today, I charged two 3S LiPo's like I normally do and the charging process started like normal.

After about 52 mins it was beeping like normal to say the charging had finished but the display was only showing 11.73V and 855mAh put back in two 2200mAh packs in parallel @ 4.4A which didn't seem right to me. Pressing any of the butons to get more info wasn't working; the display appeared to be frozen.

The charging time was quite normal so I decided to reset the charger. It rebooted and now I only get square blocks on the top line of the display. Hooked it up to the PC and started Logview which is showing 4.2V per cell so it appears that the packs are charged. However it also shows the word "error" behind the mode. I obviously can't check the charger as to which mode it is in at the moment but it was in balance charge mode before so I assume it is still in that mode.

Anybody come across this problem and how can I fix this (if it can be fixed but surely a charger should last longer than under a year)? The charger has never worked hard and only ever charged max 4.4A to charge two 3S 2200mAh packs in parallel at a time. I've also tried re-flashing the charger but although the charger seems to load the firmware and beeps when it finishes, the display still has the blocks on the top line.
Anyone any ideas? Junsi?
CloggieUK is offline Find More Posts by CloggieUK
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 03:53 PM
Flying motor mount master
fly_boy99's Avatar
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Thanks this was exactly what I was thinking.

Time to start culling older ones.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM732 View Post
There is no standard way of measuring IR so all you can do is use it for comparative purposes. Compare one pack to another or the pack today compared to when it was new. Can also compare cell IR's to look for a bad one.
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:23 PM
ProgressiveRC
write2dgray's Avatar
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
Make it user-settable, at which point during the CV charge phase the completion ring occurs. I once had a charger (Orbit Pocketlader) where this was possible.
The completion ring should be connected with current reduction. So one could enter a % value of the charge current, when the completion ring should occur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdigital View Post
Hello Julez,

thats a good idea. My Hyperion makes it so, but the value is not user-settable.

Greetings from another Kraut
This is currently user settable under "Balance Speed," default is Normal (Charge Rate/10), Fast = C/5, and Slow = C/40.
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 01:11 AM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloggieUK View Post
Anyone any ideas? Junsi?
Sounds like either the chargers microcontroller is dead or there is a problem with the screen, blocks on the display usually means the screen is not getting the correct character codes from the uC. Could also be corrupted firmware or a loose cable.

If its under warranty, send it back, otherwise you may well need a new one.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 01:25 AM
iCharger
junsi's Avatar
Joined Mar 2007
1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloggieUK View Post
Hi guys,

I've got an iCharger 106B+ and it has been working perfectly for just under a year. Today, I charged two 3S LiPo's like I normally do and the charging process started like normal.

After about 52 mins it was beeping like normal to say the charging had finished but the display was only showing 11.73V and 855mAh put back in two 2200mAh packs in parallel @ 4.4A which didn't seem right to me. Pressing any of the butons to get more info wasn't working; the display appeared to be frozen.

The charging time was quite normal so I decided to reset the charger. It rebooted and now I only get square blocks on the top line of the display. Hooked it up to the PC and started Logview which is showing 4.2V per cell so it appears that the packs are charged. However it also shows the word "error" behind the mode. I obviously can't check the charger as to which mode it is in at the moment but it was in balance charge mode before so I assume it is still in that mode.

Anybody come across this problem and how can I fix this (if it can be fixed but surely a charger should last longer than under a year)? The charger has never worked hard and only ever charged max 4.4A to charge two 3S 2200mAh packs in parallel at a time. I've also tried re-flashing the charger but although the charger seems to load the firmware and beeps when it finishes, the display still has the blocks on the top line.
Sorry to reply so late. We have sent a message via Email to you, pls check it. Thanks for your cooperation.

Junsi
junsi is online now Find More Posts by junsi
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 01:28 AM
Registered User
Czech Republic, Hlavní město Praha, Prague
Joined Oct 2010
205 Posts
Junsi, i remind you i have also problem - that degrees sign and strange behavior when trying to use full power at Pb program.
But i tested at LiPo program, 6S/30A (750W) and it was working right.
jointer is offline Find More Posts by jointer
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 01:42 AM
CloggieCopter™
CloggieUK's Avatar
United Kingdom, East Grinstead
Joined Feb 2010
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi View Post
Sorry to reply so late. We have sent a message via Email to you, pls check it. Thanks for your cooperation.

Junsi
Hi Junsi,

I received your email and replied to the email address you gave me in your message. Thanks.
CloggieUK is offline Find More Posts by CloggieUK
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best charger/discharger $ can buy namancio Batteries and Chargers 30 Jan 31, 2010 02:52 PM
Power Pacer Battery charger/discharger ACE_McCOOL Batteries and Chargers 4 Oct 22, 2002 12:39 PM
NIB Hitec CG-325 Charger/Discharger/Cycler for 4-9 cells - $39! Jason M Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Oct 03, 2002 03:29 AM
WTB Good charger/discharger 10 + cells WickedFunRC Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Sep 05, 2002 08:55 PM