SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 10, 2011, 07:26 AM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Apr 2011
7 Posts
iCharger 106b+ charging 5000 mah at 10a

Hi Junsi,

Is it possible to charge LiPo 4900 mAh 6s at 10a using iCharger 106b+, I have tried and it can only charges around 5a
i use Voltz 15 vdc, 23a, 350 watt power supply

a = 350/(6*4.2)

according to this formula, i should be able to charger at 10a, but not sure why it's not possible ?
qurbaaw1 is offline Find More Posts by qurbaaw1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:22 AM
United States, IL, Carbondale
Joined Jun 2005
443 Posts
The 106b+ is a 250watt charger @ > 13.5volts per specs. So 250/6/4.2 gives you 9.9A charge rate so you should be able to do it.

One possible problem is that the input voltage/amp and watt limits are set to something less than 15v/23A/250W. If these are set too low the charger will limit charge amps to protect your power supply.

Hope this helps ...

Berardino
baratta930 is offline Find More Posts by baratta930
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:43 AM
Joined Apr 2011
15 Posts
Will this power supply work OK with the 306b charger?

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...31-5-amps.html

I think it's a little underpowered for the 306b but the price is right for me.
Gottria is offline Find More Posts by Gottria
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:50 PM
Joined Dec 2010
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
What would happen if you set it to 0.5C (for a NiMH forming charge)? Would it charge it properly or stop prematurely?
It will stop prematurely. It will charge at a rate of 0.5C until it has delivered a charge of 0.5C, and then drop to 0.05C for the next two hours. So in total (assuming it started off fully discharged) your battery would end up only charged to 60% capacity, which would not achieve any forming.

The idea of a forming charge is to first get all the cells (or at least one of the cells) close to full charge (I don't think the charging rate matters much for this phase, so long as no cell is overcharged), and then to keep on charging at a rate low enough so that the overcharge won't damage the cells that are already fully charged (anything less than 0.1C should be OK).

Personally I prefer to do forming at 1C rate with a 10% or lower duty cycle, but sadly the iChargers don't support duty cycle control.
eecs is offline Find More Posts by eecs
Old Apr 11, 2011, 01:47 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
Will this power supply work OK with the 306b charger?

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...31-5-amps.html

I think it's a little underpowered for the 306b but the price is right for me.
The specs say 24V/31.5A (750W) so that will be OK for the 306B. You should get up to 680W output from the charger with this PS. Be sure to set the input power protection properly otherwise there is a risk you might overload the supply. I would set it to 28A as it is only about 10% accurate and better safe than sorry. If the input current is accurately clipped at 28A you will get around to 600W output power. That is still enough to charge 6S packs at up to 25A
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Apr 11, 2011, 08:21 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eecs View Post
It will stop prematurely. It will charge at a rate of 0.5C until it has delivered a charge of 0.5C, and then drop to 0.05C for the next two hours. So in total (assuming it started off fully discharged) your battery would end up only charged to 60% capacity, which would not achieve any forming.
Thanks, eecs. It seems there's no way to do a forming charge for Low Self Discharge NiMH then. Maybe they'll be supported in a future update.
Andy2No is online now Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:04 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,739 Posts
Based on my experience LSD AAs do not benefit enough from forming charges to be worth the time and effort unless they are of low quality and very old stock.

My Sanyo Eneloops ,Ray-O -Vac Hybrids and EMB (hobbtpartz) needed no forming.

Results of Eneloops here see comment in post #2

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=everydayflyer

Others mentioned were very similiar.

I have some TITANIUM 2100 AA s which took close to 50 cycles to get their capacity up but I suspect they were very old stock and that was why they were fairly deeply discounted.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Apr 11, 2011, 04:22 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,773 Posts
That's good to know. Thanks, Charles.
Andy2No is online now Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Apr 12, 2011, 06:17 AM
Joined Apr 2011
7 Posts
thanks Berardino

the settings of my charger is set to max but the only thing i can think of would be the power plug adaptor i use which has a 13 amp fuse, not sure if this changes anything. this is because the voltz power supply comes with US plug and i'm based in UK
Old Apr 12, 2011, 08:35 AM
United States, IL, Carbondale
Joined Jun 2005
443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurbaaw1 View Post
thanks Berardino

the settings of my charger is set to max but the only thing i can think of would be the power plug adaptor i use which has a 13 amp fuse, not sure if this changes anything. this is because the voltz power supply comes with US plug and i'm based in UK
13A at 110v or 220v? That is way more input power than you would need to drive the P350.

Can you try the charger with another known power supply?

Berardino
baratta930 is offline Find More Posts by baratta930
Old Apr 12, 2011, 09:59 AM
Joined Apr 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baratta930 View Post
13A at 110v or 220v? That is way more input power than you would need to drive the P350.

Can you try the charger with another known power supply?

Berardino
13A at 230v, unfortunately I don't have other power supply apart from 15v, 5 amp

I will change plug adaptor or the fuse (20 or 25 amp) to see if that makes any improvement
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:44 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,739 Posts
13 X 230 = 2990 watts of available input and the power supply thus has more available then it can use many times over.

Have you checked the chargers input voltage and amps. limits settings?

Have you checked input voltage and amps. while charging?

Are you using the original charging leads with good quality connector on it and the LiPoly?

Quote:
voltz power supply
Is that the one from HK, if so there have been reports that they are problematic.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Apr 12, 2011, 01:40 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,295 Posts
Guys, I still need some help with the forming charge thing, as I think I am doing something wrong.

I have a new 1600mAh receiver pack (4 cell), that has been charged and cycled from the batteries plus store. I flew it yesterday for about 1/2 hour. When I got home I decided to discharge it at 800mA to 4V. I did this, and it took out 1000mA, which seems about right. Then, i decided to charge it with the forming charge, at 1.6A. The thing is, the first phase of the charge only went for about 12 minutes until it switched to charging at .16A for about 2 hours. In the end, only about 500mA went back into the battery.

So, am I doing something wrong? Should I not be trying to do a forming charge on a new battery?
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Apr 12, 2011, 02:41 PM
Joined Feb 2011
17 Posts
Newboo- iCharger 206B

Gotta luv this charger !! The small footprint / weight ...of not only the charger but also the P350 !! Got it from my LHS and can't wait to try the regenerative charging .. great product, if you are thinking of getting any other charger, DONT ! Just go out and get one, fits nicely in my pit bag and packed full of features like the USB firmware update, tracking of the batts via computer is a MUST !!

And with support from this forum ( all the great users ) and Junsi, you can't go wrong !!

Sure, u can get something cheaper, but if u have issues, no one gonna help you but google !!

The only question i have, and i searched through the whole forum didnt find is that when im doing regen discharge, do i need a resistor too ?

I saw the spreadsheet but kinda confused as Im discharging a 4s-5000mah
14.8v (ima car rc dood) .. do i use the 0.74ohm resistor ? Or is that strictly for discharge alone ?

And where does it go ? Do i splice it in between the banana plug + deans connector ?

Any pictures would be greatly appreciated !!

Junsi, suggestion for that in ur next manual update, including some pictures of what a proper setup would look like would be greeeeeaaatttt !!
dmakhk is offline Find More Posts by dmakhk
Old Apr 12, 2011, 02:47 PM
Ignint McNugget
behind Jaggi lines
Joined Jan 2004
907 Posts
Regenerative discharge means you are discharging your lipo and using that energy to charge your "source" Pb acid battery. So you must be powering the charger with a Pb acid battery.

You need an external discharging array (resistors or bulbs, etc) when using the DCHG+ feature.
Rumple is offline Find More Posts by Rumple