HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2008, 12:15 AM
Multifaceted Heli Nut
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Oct 2004
479 Posts
Finally read through all 64 pages!!! I hope I can recall some of the more critical points, really good (and some scary) stuff...

Drilling the undersized charge socket:

As Julez said, be very careful. I don't have a 1010B yet or a good picture to determine the metal used for the banana sockets but I'm assuming they're brass. Enlarging an existing hole in brass is a delicate matter if a standard 'twist drill' is going to be used as the cutting tool. The cutting edges at the drill's tip are going to dig in and jamb in most cases. I suggest buying a "4mm straight flute reamer" to open the socket bore. It will not 'self feed' into brass and will give a very high quality hole finish.

The alternative is to grind flats on the drill's cutting edges parallel to the length of the 4mm twist drill, essentially removing the knife-edge leading cutting edges. A very poor Internet connection is preventing me from providing good links to images here. Please Google "twist drill mod for brass" and you'll find the changes needed to make a common twist drill work correctly. Oh, a 5/32 inch drill is almost exactly the same size as 4mm.
heli-headcase is offline Find More Posts by heli-headcase
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2008, 01:09 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,206 Posts
Yes, you are right. When the drill is too sharp, it can pull itself into the brass.
One should modify it like this:

The edge should be 0.5-1mm wide, so that the cutting angle is 0.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Jul 08, 2008, 07:09 AM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Sep 2005
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenex
You can change the lead from BPhobbies that goes into the 106B allowing you to use the break out boards etc. Check the following post [Look at the bottom]
Hopefully this info can help planekrazee out with his 106B (I've got the 1010B).
rvsixer is offline Find More Posts by rvsixer
Old Jul 08, 2008, 07:18 AM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizky_p
I am wondering if this happened to 1010B only? Can anyone send a picture of where the loose screw supposed to be? I will check it first before connecting the charger.
I got 3 x 106B and 1 x 1010B. All 4 chargers had screws not tightend, some barely tightened and one even a completely loose screw.

Just open the case (top 2 crews on both sides, then lift the top case - be careful, there's a cable to the fan!) and you will see some screws. Tighten them. That's all. If a screw is loose, you will hear it when moving the charger.

- Oliver
Smeagle is offline Find More Posts by Smeagle
Old Jul 08, 2008, 07:20 AM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
Hm, seems, you have the same problem as I.
Do you still have the charger, so that you could check if the coil is touched by the inner edge of the case?
Not quiet the same. I checked the coil, its perfectly sealed, no short here.

Junsi gave me some info on solder points I should check. I will do this in the evening and report back here.

- Oliver
Old Jul 08, 2008, 07:51 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
please, could you copy-paste what Junsi said to you?
Some things are reported via PM/mail only
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Old Jul 08, 2008, 08:01 AM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.guzun
please, could you copy-paste what Junsi said to you?
Some things are reported via PM/mail only
Its Junsi's choice what to make public and what to keep private. Its not OK to publish private conversation, I'm a believer in the Netiquette.

If it works, I will publish the solution.

- Oliver
Old Jul 08, 2008, 01:35 PM
Joined Jul 2008
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
The iC106B has more flexibility, more features (which you may never need or use), more power, heavier-duty leads and is quite a bit smaller. However as noted, the Maxpro comes PC-ready and currently the iC chargers do not.
I was this close to clicking ok, ordering the 106B, but following this QC-discussion changed my mind. If a manufacturer can't get the sockets right and the screws tight, I don't want it. I need to charge batteries, it's the seller that need to do the QC, not me. I mean, come on Junsi, get this sorted out and add an USB-port, call it a 106C. You can charge me an additional $10, that's fine, as long as it works.

I'll bide my time...
jerrycan is offline Find More Posts by jerrycan
Old Jul 08, 2008, 02:25 PM
Indonesia, Jakarta Capital Region, Djakarta
Joined Apr 2007
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeagle
I got 3 x 106B and 1 x 1010B. All 4 chargers had screws not tightend, some barely tightened and one even a completely loose screw.

Just open the case (top 2 crews on both sides, then lift the top case - be careful, there's a cable to the fan!) and you will see some screws. Tighten them. That's all. If a screw is loose, you will hear it when moving the charger.

- Oliver
thanks i'll keep that in mind and check it when my 106b arrived.
rizky_p is online now Find More Posts by rizky_p
Old Jul 08, 2008, 02:30 PM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrycan
I was this close to clicking ok, ordering the 106B, but following this QC-discussion changed my mind.
you'll never get the better charger + it cost really nice
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Old Jul 08, 2008, 03:52 PM
Joined Apr 2007
2 Posts
Serial balance charge 2x2s

Hey Julez

Many thanks for spending the time to explain as well to rgh.
When I purchased the 1010b Icharger I got the balancer bord shown here
at the extrem right

http://www.eheli.com.au/store/produ...&cat=261&page=1

I did the serial cable as you suggested Julez and was able to make a 2x2s charge/fast charge selecting in the icharger a 4s cell. So that is a progress :-) but still confused about balancing charge 2x2s or 3x2s...

Julez I'm not sure I understand the next point :

"Then you take the balance cable of the pack, where the necative contact is connected to the charger. This balance cable is plugged in at the left side of the balance board (the left side is the side where "adapter" is written in this image: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...hmentid=1869453 )
The balancer plug from the pack from the middle is connected to the balance port next to the one from the first pack, and so on."

On the balance board I have, I see 3x2s balance connector E, E1, E2...It seemed obvious to me to connect the 2x2s balancing cable of the battery on the board (why would there be 3x2s connector on the board then, the purpose of it ?) and select balance charge of 2s in the 1010b menu...but when I connected the first batery having the output lead connected to the 2x2s in serial on the board in the connector "E"...I got a spark!! ooooopppsss....stupid me!...did not get something obviosuly!
but no harm and lipo ok.

Anyway I can charge and understand now serial charging but balancing still beats me..
Do I need to make a special cable as well for the balance connector of the battery to the board? and then when done should I select in the 1010b menu the total count of cells or 2S....specificaly for balance charging?

Sorry I'm confused

Thanks

questionmark....obviously!
questionmark is offline Find More Posts by questionmark
Last edited by questionmark; Jul 08, 2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2008, 05:37 PM
Central Florida. USA
Joined Mar 2008
95 Posts
Just Received My 106B From HC

v3.05. No problems with the cable sockets, no loose screws. Looks like a sweet little charger. Currently balance charging a 4S A123 pack at max amps. I'm looking forward to cycling it a few times and trying the different charging cycles. I may have to get another one before HC goes negative stock.

MadMax
MadMax389 is offline Find More Posts by MadMax389
Old Jul 08, 2008, 06:43 PM
Townsville
Joined Jul 2007
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax389
v3.05. No problems with the cable sockets, no loose screws. Looks like a sweet little charger. Currently balance charging a 4S A123 pack at max amps. I'm looking forward to cycling it a few times and trying the different charging cycles. I may have to get another one before HC goes negative stock.

MadMax

I hope HC are holding one for me dammit! I won't be too happy if i have to wait for HC to receive MORE stock for a charger that I used for maybe 6 hours tops......I'd buy another as a spare, but you know...once bitten and all....If my replacement turns out great, then I'll buy another.

-->KegRaider
KegRaider is offline Find More Posts by KegRaider
Old Jul 08, 2008, 07:28 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,996 Posts
iChargers Arrived!!!

My iChargers (106B and 1010B ) arrived today from RCToys (thanks Brian!). They were securely and attractively packaged in sturdy cardboard cases.

Ripping into the package I was pleasantly surprised by just how compact the units are - they are tiny! Both the 1010B and 106B can easily slide in the rear pocket of my jeans.

The finish of the units is now an attractive aluminum rather than white as seen in the pics. High quality materials are apparent throughout including the sturdy aluminum enclosure and silicone wire leads. The chargers have a nice solid feel to them as well. I was also happy to see that a temperature probe lead is included to monitor battery temps during (dis)charge; an accessory that usually requires an additional purchase.

I quickly tried plugging in the 4mm power lead jacks to the charge oututs to verify that the output sockets were sized correctly at 4mm, which they were on both units. I then cut off the power supply leads (to later be used on the charge side) and soldered on some Deans connectors to get charging.

Before I fired the units up I removed the top half of the case from both chargers by removing the upper two screws on each side of the units in order to confirm that the PCB was firmly secured to the lower case. I found the screws on the 106B to be sufficiently tight while the 4 PCB mounting screws on the 1010B required less than a half of a turn each to snug them up.

At this point I screwed the case tops back on and fired up both units to be welcomed by a sharp display proclaiming version 3.05. Darn it! No updating for me...and I was all set with my TTL-USB cable and soldering iron warmed up, but with any luck there will be a new rev. soon and I can give the update a go.

This was a good time to stop and peruse the manual to ensure that I understand the general operation, fortunately both units share the same manual so I only have to learn one new set of tricks today. Operation is surprisingly simple, yet the feature set is more robust than any charger I have witnessed to date. Page 5 of the manual is particularly helpful with a succinct program flow chart showing all of the charger's options and menus on one page. The manual is particularly thorough, accurate, and well written. I even discovered a few modes/features which I was unaware of including:

- Lithium battery program: "When you use other equipment to charge or discharge a
Lithium pack, you can use the iCharger to monitor the per-cell voltages, battery temperature and
process time. If any individual cell appears over-charged or over-discharged or the pack is too hot or the
process has gone on for too long, the iCharger will generate an alarm sound and the related information
will blink.

- Electric motor test mode

I plan to get some charging cycles in almost immediately and will report back on the operation once I've had a chance to run it through the paces. So far I am loving these compact, full-featured, economical, and powerful chargers!

Cheers,
David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2008, 08:10 PM
Gales Ferry, CT
Joined Jun 2008
71 Posts
The new units come with a cd-r manual. It is version 6.0 and has the foam cut info on it. I think it's safe to assume it's the latest addition including all 3.05 updates.

And the pcb screws are tight.
planekrazee is offline Find More Posts by planekrazee
Last edited by planekrazee; Jul 08, 2008 at 08:42 PM.