must have been a glitch !
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2003
946 Posts
balance board availability

Quote:
You can get adapter boards & leads for the 1010B here:
http://www.eheli.com.au/store/produ...&cat=261&page=1
Does anyone know any other places that stock the balance boards/leads.
Would seem like a good item for UH to stock, since they sell the chargers..
Maybe they are available at one of the Chargery dealers ?

EDIT: found them here

Luke
LKC is online now Find More Posts by LKC
Last edited by LKC; Jul 07, 2008 at 12:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2008, 01:46 PM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
Hi there,

another sour kraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
YEEHAW!
I just recieved my first iCharger from Hobbycity!
Got my replacement-shipping with 3x106B and 1x1010B today V3.05.

> Junsi, I also noted that the PCB screws are not very tight,
> and some are almost loose.

Yup, screws not tight at all and in the 1010B, there was even one loose screw flying around in the charger...

> The inner diameter of the charging sockets. Urgently!
> It is like 3.8mm or so. But it should be not less than 4mm,

Yup, same on my chargers. That's strange, as with my first 3 chargers there was no problem? On these new 4 chargers, I got problems only with the black sockets. On two I cannot plug in a 4mm connector at all and on the other two it's very hard to plug in. The red sockets are ok, though.

> I had to drill the sockets to 4mm

This worked out ok? I will do so, too.

[Other Post from Julez]

> ... But only for a short time. A little "pftz" sound could be heard,
> and the charger rebooted.

Yup, had the same problem after some seconds of charging (2,2A 3S): The charger pulls a massive current (overload-led of my 40A supply lights up) and resets. Now everytime I try to start a charge.

> From now on, every time I tried to start a charge, the charger rebooted,
> as if it was briefly disconnectd from the power supply.

On my setup, the problem is the charger pulls hight current in this moment and voltage of supply drops and then charger resets.

Not too happy... At least 3 of the 4 chargers work.

- Oliver
Smeagle is offline Find More Posts by Smeagle
Last edited by Smeagle; Jul 07, 2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2008, 02:43 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,194 Posts
Hm, seems, you have the same problem as I.
Do you still have the charger, so that you could check if the coil is touched by the inner edge of the case?

Anyhow, now I am a happy Kraut again:
I just recieved a 1010B and a 106B directly from Junsi, and both work like champions. Charging at full power with my 8s A123 Pack, and no problems whatsoever.
But I removed 2mm from the inner edge with a dremel, so that there is a clearance to the coil now, just for the peace of mind.
One jack was too small on the 1010B (drilling works again ), but all were ok on the 106B.
If they continue working like now well, I am more than impressed.

Cheers,

Julian
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Jul 07, 2008, 03:05 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,996 Posts
Could you explain in slightly greater detail oversizing the hole for 4mm jacks?

If I understand correctly the under-sized jacks (~3.8mm) have enough extra material around the circumference to use a 4mm bit to drill them out, oversizing them to 4mm so they can accept standard charging cables. With a little luck on the delivery end of things I will be looking to perform the same procedure tomorrow if necessary when my 106 and 1010B arrive.

Cheers,
David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2008, 04:39 PM
Indonesia, Jakarta Capital Region, Djakarta
Joined Apr 2007
397 Posts
I am wondering if this happened to 1010B only? Can anyone send a picture of where the loose screw supposed to be? I will check it first before connecting the charger.

I hopes my 106b working just fine when it arrived(finger crossed)

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeagle
Hi there,

another sour kraut

Got my replacement-shipping with 3x106B and 1x1010B today V3.05.

> Junsi, I also noted that the PCB screws are not very tight,
> and some are almost loose.

Yup, screws not tight at all and in the 1010B, there was even one loose screw flying around in the charger...

> The inner diameter of the charging sockets. Urgently!
> It is like 3.8mm or so. But it should be not less than 4mm,

Yup, same on my chargers. That's strange, as with my first 3 chargers there was no problem? On these new 4 chargers, I got problems only with the black sockets. On two I cannot plug in a 4mm connector at all and on the other two it's very hard to plug in. The red sockets are ok, though.

> I had to drill the sockets to 4mm

This worked out ok? I will do so, too.

[Other Post from Julez]

> ... But only for a short time. A little "pftz" sound could be heard,
> and the charger rebooted.

Yup, had the same problem after some seconds of charging (2,2A 3S): The charger pulls a massive current (overload-led of my 40A supply lights up) and resets. Now everytime I try to start a charge.

> From now on, every time I tried to start a charge, the charger rebooted,
> as if it was briefly disconnectd from the power supply.

On my setup, the problem is the charger pulls hight current in this moment and voltage of supply drops and then charger resets.

Not too happy... At least 3 of the 4 chargers work.

- Oliver
rizky_p is offline Find More Posts by rizky_p
Old Jul 07, 2008, 05:15 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,194 Posts
David:
Take a cordless screwdriver with a 4mm drill bit. Place the charger at the edge of your workbench, and hold it firmly. Now insert the drill bit carefully with very low rpm. Be careful, that the drill bit does not pull itself into the jacks. Then, the torque will rise to a problematic level. So, be careful that the feed is as low as possible. It is well possible that you have to pull instead of pushing. Be sure that your drill bit is sharp, especially the margin (Führungsfase).

When you notice, that the drill bit will not go any deeper, you have reached the bottom, and you can pull it out again.
---------
I have just tested the forming mode, and it seems to work well, too. The pack was just a little warm, like it is usual while forming, and shortly afterwards, the charge stopped. Good.

But a slight problem occurred here: At the very moment, wher the 106B stopped the forming charge, both chargers (connected to the same power supply) displayed "input voltage over voltage".
My theory is, that when ending the charge, and switching the internal circuits of, the 106B produced a very brief voltage pulse, which triggered the over voltage error. My suggestion would be, that the error message is only displayed, when the voltage is too high or too low for more than 1sec. This way, the voltage fluctuations, which occurr for only very brief periods when something in the chargers switch, will be ignored.

2 more suggestions:
1) Place little rubber feet at the bottom, this improves the handling of the charger.
2) I have a charger, where one can set the cycle count to "0" when in cycle mode. When the cycle count is set to "0", the charger continues to cycle the battery, until no further rise in capacity is detected. This way, the charger sets the best amount of cycles all by itself. One does not have to gess how many cycles might be neccessary for a specific pack.

Cheers,

Julez
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Jul 07, 2008, 06:48 PM
Gales Ferry, CT
Joined Jun 2008
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKC
Does anyone know any other places that stock the balance boards/leads.
Would seem like a good item for UH to stock, since they sell the chargers..
Maybe they are available at one of the Chargery dealers ?

EDIT: found them here

Luke

I received my two 106b chargers from Brian at Tanic packs, version 3.05

The balancer leads at bphobbies do not fit this charger! How do I know? I ordered them.

Tanic does stock the leads that work with these charges and I'll be ordering a set.
planekrazee is offline Find More Posts by planekrazee
Old Jul 07, 2008, 06:54 PM
Greensboro/H.Pt/Win-Salem P.T. Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Dec 2003
3,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
David:
Take a cordless screwdriver with a 4mm drill bit. Place the charger at the edge of your workbench, and hold it firmly. Now insert the drill bit carefully with very low rpm. Be careful, that the drill bit does not pull itself into the jacks. Then, the torque will rise to a problematic level. So, be careful that the feed is as low as possible. It is well possible that you have to pull instead of pushing. Be sure that your drill bit is sharp, especially the margin (Führungsfase).

When you notice, that the drill bit will not go any deeper, you have reached the bottom, and you can pull it out again.

Cheers,

Julez

eek. I'm sure you guys are qualified to do this but the avg hobbiest shouldnt have to do stuff like this. I'm starting to think that the comparison chart should have had a section for quality?
NCguy is offline Find More Posts by NCguy
Old Jul 07, 2008, 07:44 PM
LKC
must have been a glitch !
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2003
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planekrazee
I received my two 106b chargers from Brian at Tanic packs, version 3.05
Thanks for the update, re availability at Tanic..

Yeah I notice they don't sell this adaptor cord that reduces the plug size from the 10S plug that is on the 1010B & board, to the 6S plug for the 106B.
But I'm pretty sure this cord is compatible with the 1010B.

My buddy ordered the 10S plug and a 6S plug, he will just have to make it into an adaptor for his 106B

Thanks again
Luke
LKC is online now Find More Posts by LKC
Old Jul 07, 2008, 08:23 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguy
eek. I'm sure you guys are qualified to do this but the avg hobbiest shouldnt have to do stuff like this. I'm starting to think that the comparison chart should have had a section for quality?
I would like to say that while we are seeing some quality issues posted here, there have been many chargers sold without issues. I have two 106B's thus far that have none of the issues. The coil is not mounted too close to the case, the banana plugs are the right size, and the screws were tight holding down the PCB. The quailty issues to date seem to be with some of the new 1010B's and some of the older 106B's. Junsi has been straight forward and has been very responsive to getting replacements for those with issues.
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Old Jul 07, 2008, 08:48 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Sep 2005
528 Posts
Quote:
I received my two 106b chargers...The balancer leads at bphobbies do not fit this charger! How do I know? I ordered them..
Not an issue with bphobbies. They only carry the 1010B charger leads on thier web site, not those for the 106B (which are clearly different).
rvsixer is offline Find More Posts by rvsixer
Old Jul 07, 2008, 08:53 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliboy
Junsi,

Please could you give me a reply to my earlier questions:

First, I have now tried a number of small LiPo belonging to club mates, all at or below 1000mAh. It is clear that the cut-off mechanism is not working. At the same level of discharge (80% or less), they take between 90-120mins (safety timer cut-off activated) on the 1010B (bal. charge normal), whereas on my LiproPlus 5 they take under 1 hour. There isn't a lot of difference on bal. charge fast. On both settings, the charger settles at about 0.23-0.24A, charging and discharging at the same rate. All 3s 2200 LiPo's I have tried take longer on my 1010B than on my other charger, sometimes considerably longer.

So, is this a faulty unit? or will upgrading to v. 3.05 solve this? My version is 3.04.

Other users do not seem to be reporting the same situation as I am seeing, so I would be grateful for your thoughts.

Thanks.
Hello,
Sorry, please bother to upgrade your charger to version 3.05 to solve this longer charging time problem!

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Jul 07, 2008, 08:54 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,080 Posts
Hello

Quote:
Junsi,
What software update is shipping from Hobby City? 3.05?

Will the FACTORY be supplying a USB adapter to update the units that don't work properly or will the units that don't work properly be updated for free under warranty?
Hello,
The current version in HC is version3.05.
Sorry to say that we don’t supply any USB adapter currently. But you may find this helpful: http://store.fundamentallogic.com/e...&products_id=14
If you want to upgrade your charger, you should do it by yourself, you warranty is still valid even after you open the case to upgrade during the valid time.

Regards,
Junsi
Old Jul 07, 2008, 09:27 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,080 Posts
Sorry!

Hello everybody,
We are so sorry to know that these screws on PCB are not tightened properly. So please bother to check your chargers carefully before your power it on.
As for the sockets, we do order 4mm socket, sorry to say that some of these sockets are not in a good quality shape from our supplier, we just checked that they do have difference in inner diameter. So please bother to drill to 4mm, if you still can’t fit the banana plugs in after drill please contact with our dealers to settle this problem.
Both the above problems are QC issues as everydayflyer and Kgfly mentioned.
We will take it seriously and find an efficient way to solve these QC issues.
Thanks for your guys fast feedbacks!

Regards,
Junsi
Last edited by junsi; Jul 07, 2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2008, 11:06 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsixer
Not an issue with bphobbies. They only carry the 1010B charger leads on thier web site, not those for the 106B (which are clearly different).
You can change the lead from BPhobbies that goes into the 106B allowing you to use the break out boards etc. Check the following post [Look at the bottom]
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex