updating the firmware. Maybe Junsi can confirm this? Are these available
from Hobbycity now?
jerrycan is offline Find More Posts by jerrycan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2008, 01:03 PM
England
Joined Apr 2008
244 Posts
I think you need to go back a few posts and see the amount of discussion that happens re: this "port" - its just a hole !!
not.likely is offline Find More Posts by not.likely
Old Jul 06, 2008, 01:07 PM
Central Florida. USA
Joined Mar 2008
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrycan
Looking at the pics at http://www.jun-si.com/EnProductShow.asp?ID=87
both the 106B and 1010B have mini-USB ports. I assume these are for
updating the firmware. Maybe Junsi can confirm this? Are these available
from Hobbycity now?
I think that port is not active (yet?) I just ordered the 106B from HC but haven't received it yet. The firmware can be upgraded but you'll need a TTL converter and a little soldering skill. There are plenty of references earlier in the thread about which converter to buy.

Has anyone managed to use the HXT speed controller converter? This would be the simplest as you can get one from HC for about $10.

MadMax
MadMax389 is offline Find More Posts by MadMax389
Old Jul 06, 2008, 02:29 PM
Joined Jul 2008
23 Posts
OK, I read around 10 pages back, but 63 of them was a bit too much, so I missed the port-discussion. I had false hopes that that there was an updated version on it's way then. Read about the usb2ttl, but would rather not get involved in any soldering, seems like an easy enhancement to do at the factory anyway. I suppose this discussion have taken place already also...

Well, I definitely need a charger and thanks to kgfly's excellent summary I'm down to 2-3 alternatives: one of the iChargers or the Maxpro. Easy firmware updates would be nice, but so would 180/200 W. Just haven't made up my mind yet...

For those of you that have ordered from HC recently, are they shipped with 3.05 now? Any problems after the 3.05 update?

I will eventually read all these 63 pages, but until then, bear with me...
jerrycan is offline Find More Posts by jerrycan
Old Jul 06, 2008, 03:49 PM
Central Florida. USA
Joined Mar 2008
95 Posts
I'll post the firmware of my new 106B. It should be here in a few days...

MadMax
MadMax389 is offline Find More Posts by MadMax389
Old Jul 07, 2008, 04:00 AM
Townsville
Joined Jul 2007
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
Keg - Hmm, well thank you for trying but they are too out of focus to tell what chipsets are being used. I look forward to hearing the results of your experiment
Hehe, unfortunately that result is going to be a while, unless the postal service starts doing overnight deliveries intercontinentally. I'm guessing I'll be without my 1010B for at least 4 weeks, so I have taken some closer shots using my better camera, with a clearer macro. Hopefully someone might be able to confirm whether this may or maynot work I just figured that this tiny unit would be perfect to epoxy to the inside of the unit, behind the mini USB hole. Mind you, it was a lot more expensive than the TTL board...

-->KegRaider.
KegRaider is offline Find More Posts by KegRaider
Old Jul 07, 2008, 06:40 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
OK so the Silicon Labs CP2102 is a single-chip USB-to-UART Bridge so that provides the transformation between USB and legacy serial interfaces. I cannot identify the other chip from the numbers but my guess is that it is a level translator or bus tranceiver that buffers the signals bewteen the Bridge and the RS232 port. So you should plug it into a USB port and measure the voltage between each of the red and white wires and the black GND wire. If you get +5V then you should be safe to try using this to interface to the charger. You will need the Virtual Com Port driver which appears to be available here: http://www.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/publ...en/mcu_vcp.htm
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jul 07, 2008, 06:46 AM
I do this for fun!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,198 Posts
Hi ML_Crisis,

another point of difference between the Cellpro and the iCharger is that the Cellpro MUST be connected to a balance connector to charge, whereas the iCharger only needs the main power connection.

In practice, this means the the Cellpro can't charge small LiPo packs used in indoor planes which don't usually have balance connectors. The Cellpro also cannot charge your A123 packs unless you take the trouble to fit them with a balance connector, which the cells don't need (i.e. they don't need balance charging, they're power tool cells and very robust). As has already been noted, the Cellpro can't do Nicad or Nimh either.

This leaves the iCharger as a 1 charger solution for just about everybody, whereas the Cellpro cannot fulfil the charging needs of so wide an audience.

They each have some good features though; the Cellpro is really good at charging at 2C and 3C rates, and the iCharger can balance charge 3 3S or 3 2S packs at once.
skyboyken is offline Find More Posts by skyboyken
Old Jul 07, 2008, 07:06 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
I'm down to 2-3 alternatives: one of the iChargers or the Maxpro
Well now that I have my iChargers I am selling my MaxproX6 It is a very good unit with a clever (and possibly unique) charge controller chip that makes it faster than most other chargers doing the same lipo at the same nominal charge current:
Code:
Charge up the same KP 3S 2200mAh from Storage level

--------------  ----  -----
  Charger         mAh   Time
  Bantam BC6       820  32.46
  iCharger 106B    908  36:46
  Maxpro X6        860  31:30
If 100W is all you need then the Maxpro X6 is certainly a good candidate. The use model is a bit different to most other chargers I have used, but I found it easy to learn and easy to use.

The only negative is that it won't charge a Tx battery in situ in some Tx due to their internal protection diode. JunSi fixed that issue for the iChargers back in v2.8/2.9

The iC106B has more flexibility, more features (which you may never need or use), more power, heavier-duty leads and is quite a bit smaller. However as noted, the Maxpro comes PC-ready and currently the iC chargers do not.
Old Jul 07, 2008, 08:31 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
The Cellpro also cannot charge your A123 packs unless you take the trouble to fit them with a balance connector, which the cells don't need (i.e. they don't need balance charging, they're power tool cells and very robust)
As someone who has used A123 cells for over two years, well over 1500 flights,hundreds of runs in an RC Truck and untold bench cycle tests I must disagree.

LiFePO4 (A123) battery packs do need balancing leads. If you run them hard and do not balance them they will get out of balance ,you will have one or more cell(s) with lower charge/volts / capacity and they will dump early on you. I speak from experience, not only mine but that of others also.

I have had some A123 packs to stay in near perfect balance but I can say the same for LiPolys. Thing is without balancing you do not know which ones stay inbalance and which ones do not.

I should also note that many of the other LiFe cells vary in quality and balance a lot more than the true A123 cells do.

Closing thoughts The cordless power tools have a battery management module built into them , the only charger that A123 Racing sells for use with their batteries is a balancing charger.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jul 07, 2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2008, 08:54 AM
Joined Oct 2007
11 Posts
Junsi,

Please could you give me a reply to my earlier questions:

First, I have now tried a number of small LiPo belonging to club mates, all at or below 1000mAh. It is clear that the cut-off mechanism is not working. At the same level of discharge (80% or less), they take between 90-120mins (safety timer cut-off activated) on the 1010B (bal. charge normal), whereas on my LiproPlus 5 they take under 1 hour. There isn't a lot of difference on bal. charge fast. On both settings, the charger settles at about 0.23-0.24A, charging and discharging at the same rate. All 3s 2200 LiPo's I have tried take longer on my 1010B than on my other charger, sometimes considerably longer.

So, is this a faulty unit? or will upgrading to v. 3.05 solve this? My version is 3.04.

Other users do not seem to be reporting the same situation as I am seeing, so I would be grateful for your thoughts.

Thanks.
aliboy is offline Find More Posts by aliboy
Old Jul 07, 2008, 09:04 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
I believe it was Julez who mentioned earlier about loose screws. Well see post (Thread) here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=890256

It seems to me there are some real QC issues with these chargers. Perhaps they should charge 50% more and spend the additional funds on QC. An inexpensive charger that fails to work for very long is no bargain IMO.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jul 07, 2008, 09:54 AM
Gales Ferry, CT
Joined Jun 2008
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planekrazee
I received an email saying they shipped my two 106b's today.

I hope the "Basic Problems" are cleared up and that I will have fully usable products out of the box.

Has the most recent production run fixed all the "basic problems" and does it come with the latest 3.05 update? Will a factory installed USB adapter or kit for updating be offered in the near future? Is there a service center in the USA that can update the units?

Regards
Junsi,

What software update is shipping from Hobby City? 3.05?

Will the FACTORY be supplying a USB adapter to update the units that don't work properly or will the units that don't work properly be updated for free under warranty?

kgfly,

What software version is being sold by your contact in Austrailia?
planekrazee is offline Find More Posts by planekrazee
Old Jul 07, 2008, 10:19 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
I believe it was Julez who mentioned earlier about loose screws. Well see post (Thread) here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=890256

It seems to me there are some real QC issues with these chargers. Perhaps they should charge 50% more and spend the additional funds on QC. An inexpensive charger that fails to work for very long is no bargain IMO.

Charles
Charles I completely agree. Nothing will kill this brand faster than poor build quality. Junsi must get on top of their manufacturing QA processes with great urgency or the brand will be relegated to the also-rans with a poor reputation. It would be a great shame to see that happen given the strength of the basic product and the dynamism shown so far. You only get one chance to make a first impression.
Old Jul 07, 2008, 10:22 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
kgfly,

What software version is being sold by your contact in Austrailia?
I believe that www.eheli.com.au are arranging to install a serial plug and upgrade to the latest firmware on all their current stock. That will include removing C47 on the 106B units.

You would have to confirm that with them directly before ordering.