HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2011, 02:36 PM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeszekJ View Post
Charles, you shouldn't post such informations.
Even when we know you're correct.
You've just burned a few houses...
No, not really. Better to be well informed than cling to some mystical and magical maximum voltage because "someone said so". There are operating limits and there are absolute maximum limits and full awareness of both breeds safety and confidence.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2011, 02:58 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeszekJ View Post
Charles, you shouldn't post such informations.
Even when we know you're correct.
You've just burned a few houses...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM732 View Post
No, not really. Better to be well informed than cling to some mystical and magical maximum voltage because "someone said so". There are operating limits and there are absolute maximum limits and full awareness of both breeds safety and confidence.
I agree Steve, and lack of information breeds paranoia and "Chicken Little" syndromes. Yes, with the appropriate knowledge we should treat them with caution and proper care, but they are not a kin to an unstable roadside IED.
EricJ320 is offline Find More Posts by EricJ320
Old Jan 17, 2011, 03:05 PM
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Dec 2003
284 Posts
I'm trying to decide whether it would be better to have one large charger or two smaller chargers. e.g. one 206B or two 106B's. I have a 42 amp 12 volt source. Any opinions or considerations for versatility, redundancy etc.

kb
FlyBoyKB is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoyKB
Old Jan 17, 2011, 03:12 PM
Joined Feb 2008
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
Have you read the last 7 posts?
Yes I did but I did miss the info about the pictures on the Junsi web site. Sorry about that. Other than that my comment was fully entitled and adequate. But jeez was your comment unnecessary...
mackee is offline Find More Posts by mackee
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:14 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoyKB View Post
I'm trying to decide whether it would be better to have one large charger or two smaller chargers. e.g. one 206B or two 106B's. I have a 42 amp 12 volt source. Any opinions or considerations for versatility, redundancy etc.
Depends a lot on how many different sizes/kinds of battery you typically need to charge in a single session. The 206B gives you the headroom to charge at higher C-rates which is great for fast charging or parallel charging multiple packs. On the other hand if you have a mix of pack sizes/types that you often need to charge at the same time, then having two (slower) chargers is perhaps a better solution.

From a 12V supply both the 106B+ and the 206B will be limited to around 220W output but the 206B will give you the option of charging at up to 20A. For example, charging 2S or 3S packs the 106B+ is clipped at 10A but the 206B will do 20A and 18A respectively. Both chargers will do 6S packs at 9A.

Given that a 306B costs about the same as a pair of 106B+, I would go with the 306B and some parallel charge adapters. From your 12V/42A supply the 306B will give you up to about 450W charger output power which means for example, charging 6S packs at up to 19A, 4S packs at 28A and anything smaller at 30A.

If you are sure that the 306B is overkill, then my advice would be to start with the 206B and if you find you need a second charger, get another 206B or perhaps a 106B+ to fill the gap.

BTW, where I find two chargers very useful is when I come back from flying and have several packs to charge and a Tx as well. The Tx NiCd/NiMH goes on one charger at a rate that will take several hours to complete. Meanwhile the LiXx packs get done at 2C-5C rates on the other charger so that they are all done quite quickly. While this is convenient, since the NiXx doesn't need to be closely monitored, it can always be done after all the LiXx are finished and left to run overnight.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jan 17, 2011, 06:00 PM
Joined Mar 2007
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi View Post
Hello Hugo,

We have received your E-mail, and have replied it, please check it.

Junsi
Junsi
I need to thank you for the excellent support, 1010b+ it's working again.

Many thanks
HAVPT is offline Find More Posts by HAVPT
Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:00 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by holda29 View Post
Hi,
I received my iCharger from Hobbyking and I am not sure if it is not a copy of it.
Hello Holda,

Thanks for pointing out this problem, and we are really sorry for causing you all confusion.

We have checked our products 206B, and found the existence of typos as you mentioned, sorry for this mistake and we will change the printing immediately. BTW, there are not any copies products of Junsi at present, please rest assured to purchase Junsi items.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:23 PM
Brussels, Belgium
Joined Feb 2010
14 Posts
Just fyi, i'm writing (mainly for my own use) a little overview of things to do or not to do when charging lipo's here If anyone cares / has comments or see factual errors, please feel free (it is still in progress of course)

I have however a question for Junsi .

the 106b+ manual say's "The lowest allowable cell voltage depends on the type of Lithium battery: 2.50V for Lilo, 3.00V for LiPo and 2.00V for LiFe per cell. "

From what i have been reading it's not GOOD to drain a lipo to 3.00 v , and certainly when using rather low C discharge (1 C or 2 c) it is not a very good idea as my understanding is the battery will not "bounce back" as much as with a high C discharge.

so while the manual is correct that it is in theory "allowable" , you're not doing IMHO not anyone a favor by using this as default.

so why is the default 3.00 volt? would it not be better to change that default to a "safer" value like 3.40 V ?

thankx
guntherv is offline Find More Posts by guntherv
Old Jan 18, 2011, 07:58 AM
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Dec 2003
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
Depends a lot on how many different sizes/kinds of battery you typically need to charge in a single session. The 206B gives you the headroom to charge at higher C-rates which is great for fast charging or parallel charging multiple packs. On the other hand if you have a mix of pack sizes/types that you often need to charge at the same time, then having two (slower) chargers is perhaps a better solution.

From a 12V supply both the 106B+ and the 206B will be limited to around 220W output but the 206B will give you the option of charging at up to 20A. For example, charging 2S or 3S packs the 106B+ is clipped at 10A but the 206B will do 20A and 18A respectively. Both chargers will do 6S packs at 9A.

Given that a 306B costs about the same as a pair of 106B+, I would go with the 306B and some parallel charge adapters. From your 12V/42A supply the 306B will give you up to about 450W charger output power which means for example, charging 6S packs at up to 19A, 4S packs at 28A and anything smaller at 30A.

If you are sure that the 306B is overkill, then my advice would be to start with the 206B and if you find you need a second charger, get another 206B or perhaps a 106B+ to fill the gap.

BTW, where I find two chargers very useful is when I come back from flying and have several packs to charge and a Tx as well. The Tx NiCd/NiMH goes on one charger at a rate that will take several hours to complete. Meanwhile the LiXx packs get done at 2C-5C rates on the other charger so that they are all done quite quickly. While this is convenient, since the NiXx doesn't need to be closely monitored, it can always be done after all the LiXx are finished and left to run overnight.
Thanks for the info KG. I have to do some more thinking.
FlyBoyKB is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoyKB
Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:41 PM
Joined Dec 2010
22 Posts
I was about to give a friend some advice, but when thinking it out first, I think i confused myself.

I think kgfly's last post helped a bit, but I'd like to make sure...

What is the equation to determine if a power source will allow a charger to work at full strength?

For instance, i have a Junsi 350 / 208b setup. I believe the Junsi pumps out 15.5v/350w peak, so am I able to provide the 208b it's full 350w draw? If I change the power source to a PC convert providing 12v/600w, am I still able to provide the 206b the 350? (theoretically, I do understand typical use should be ~80% of this)

Oh, also! How did I do?? Thanks for all the tips and info everyone here on the boards provides...

iThinman is offline Find More Posts by iThinman
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:15 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Assuming 80% efficiency the governing equation for determining charger output power for a given DC input is (a) below.
The equation for determining the required DC input power for a given charger output power is (b) below.

a) Pout = 0.8 x Pin
b) Pin = Pout/0.8

Junsi chargers are typically 90% efficient but it is always best to be a little conservative.

So for the P350 (15V/23A, 350W) you can expect to get about 350 x 0.8 = 280W output from a charger. In practice with the 208B (8S, 350W/20A) you will get a bit over 300W.

On the other hand, to get the full 350W charger output you will need a PS rated for about 350/0.8 = 440W (and 18V or more, for example 24V/18A would do it).

However, since the charger has a limit to the input current it can use, you have to take the PS voltage into account as well. It is unique to Junsi that the charger manuals all have a graph that lets you check the maximum output power for a given input voltage. For the 208B it is on page 10 of the manual. It indicates that the maximum output is 320W @ 15V input and 255W @ 12V input.

So having a 12V/50A, 600W PS will not get you any more output from your 208B than using the P350, indeed, you will get about 45W less.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:33 PM
Joined Jan 2011
14 Posts
Overcharging 208b -cont

Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi View Post
Hello Pascalfd,

Sorry to cause you trouble.

Our engineer will test and study this problem as you mentioned, then offer you a solution later.

Junsi
Not touching the charger and having a proper balance charge termination was probably a coincidence as I also get overcharge when leaving the 208b alone. In balance and non balance lipo charge.
The only common behavior (other than the overcharging) is that the charge amp first goes down but then nearly immediately back up to erratically fluctuates around 2.0amp as in this short video (This was at the end of a non balance charge for a 2s 6000mah lipo - starting @ 6amp charge).
pascalfd is offline Find More Posts by pascalfd
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:30 AM
William from Windham NH USA
United States, NH, Windham
Joined Apr 2005
160 Posts
Hey I like your tray set up ! where did you get it is it a tray that sits in a tool box?

Let me know

Thanks William
saltydog56 is offline Find More Posts by saltydog56
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:43 PM
Joined Dec 2010
22 Posts
Hi William, thanks and yes, this is the top of a Stanley tool box. They also have a larger model that the tray fit sideways on the top in allowing access to the under contents.

Enjoy...

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....NUMBER=033023R
iThinman is offline Find More Posts by iThinman
Old Jan 19, 2011, 06:23 PM
Joined Jan 2011
8 Posts
My 206B from HK just arrived today. Discharging works out perfect. Just if I start any charging program the charger restart with "System Check please wait"
I used a car batterie with 12V/60Ah and a 25 Ah powersupply.
Please help. Whats wrong with the charger ? I don't want to send it back to china !
Haades is offline Find More Posts by Haades