HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2011, 08:17 AM
Joined Jan 2011
35 Posts
Wow, I was hoping to pick up an icharger, but it looks like they have way too many kinks that need to be resolved...
Decelerate is offline Find More Posts by Decelerate
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2011, 08:45 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,401 Posts
I was thinking the same thing myself. Do you have to be an electronics engineer to use these things or can you just follow the manual and make use of it like just about any other charger?
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX7 Programing - Ultimate...
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:26 AM
Joined Dec 2010
22 Posts
No, the key is to not be an electrical engineer. Because then you will likely just follow the instructions and use the thing instead of trying to light up manhattan with it.

I have two 208b's, they work great for me so far.

Keep in mind than many here are (thankfully) testing and/or using the extremes of these things. Plus, frankly, flying people need to be more picky with their gear then driving people (like myself) or the downside gets a bit more expensive I would imagine.
iThinman is offline Find More Posts by iThinman
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:29 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,510 Posts
Overall most of them work fine as received. If one takes the time to read the issues posts most are a result of attempting parallel or series charging by those who make connection mistakes ,by those who use wrong voltage power supplies, do not follow recomended connection sequence ,attempt increased discharge rates without understanding correct resistors values and such.

There have been a few cases of chargers being DOA or internal problems such as bad soldering joints and such. Fact is that there are quality control issues with every brand of charger sold. It is also a fact that many perfectly good chargers are damaged by the user due to lack of experience.

My record with iChargers includes two each 208B one of which had firmware issues well over a year ago and revisions corrected,one 3010B with a firmware issue which did not really effect operation but gave inaccurate readings which was corrected within days of me finding and reporting the issue and a 308B which has had no issues at all. Considering how much these have been used by me I feel ythey have done extremely well.

If one purchases from HK then CS can be a real issue. Both progressiverc and epbuddy provide great CS and IMO it is worth the slight addational cost,just in case.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:59 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,401 Posts
Thanks iThinman and Charles for the feedback.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:14 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Whatever you do, buy in the U.S. from either guy: both are outstanding, and you don't have to stand on your head to make a warranty claim.
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 15, 2011, 04:46 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
+1 to Charles' comments. I have had 106B, 106B+, 1010B, 208B and 3010B and all have worked as advertised. If you buy from a reputable (and preferably local) vendor then if you do happen to get a dud unit, which happens with all brands, it will be promptly replaced. IMO Junsi also provide excellent communication and support to customers through this forum, more than most manufacturers. I would say that if you have looked at the chargers, read the manuals and are happy with the features then you can buy with confidence.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jan 15, 2011, 05:20 PM
S92
USA, LA, Slidell
Joined Jan 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
I was thinking the same thing myself. Do you have to be an electronics engineer to use these things or can you just follow the manual and make use of it like just about any other charger?
Just got my 106B+ two days ago. I'm an idiot so I RTFM front to back

This is replacing my ancient Peak charger and doing LiPo charging on my new 450 clone. My new LiPo was sent damaged !, so I have used it for my ni/cd, ni/mh 7.2 and my son's 12v Pb gel cell scooter batteries.

Everything checks fine using fluke 4-1/2 to verify results in the short time I have used it.

I shopped spec wise but was sold after I saw the support this was getting on this site
S92 is offline Find More Posts by S92
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:16 AM
S92
USA, LA, Slidell
Joined Jan 2011
19 Posts
Should I have gotten this one? Interesting, sorry if old news.

http://www.readyheli.com/VT-6250-Vol...r_p_37876.html

Sorry, I should have made it clear that I was kiddng..mine was bought under the Pro-Tek line.
S92 is offline Find More Posts by S92
Last edited by S92; Jan 16, 2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: kidding...
Old Jan 16, 2011, 04:01 AM
Repubblica Italiana, Piemonte, Torino
Joined Sep 2009
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S92 View Post
Should I have gotten this one? Interesting, sorry if old news.

http://www.readyheli.com/VT-6250-Vol...r_p_37876.html
It is a Voltz rebranded charger....check for 3010 and P350...
The choice of Voltz, to adopt iCharger line, show how high quality have this elec things.....

Weeee, I use A123 on my hely....any date for a dual port charger???
Junsi,if you want, I can test your new units at field with different lipos and A123!!!
mikiko is offline Find More Posts by mikiko
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:32 PM
Netherlands
Joined Oct 2010
120 Posts
remote view for icharger
remote view for icharger (1 min 34 sec)

for more info see here remote view

DB
dirtyballs is offline Find More Posts by dirtyballs
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:04 PM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Your 208B fan sounds just like mine did before I fixed it.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:30 PM
Netherlands
Joined Oct 2010
120 Posts
Yes, and like everybody else icharger :-)

I have not opened the Icharger's and will not do it until something breaks down.

DB
dirtyballs is offline Find More Posts by dirtyballs
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:55 PM
Brussels, Belgium
Joined Feb 2010
14 Posts
Hello,

sorry for the nOOb question but I can't seam to find a real answer (most likely not using the correct search terms...)

If there is a FAQ or so I missed with written in bold "read before asking stupid Q's" then a link would be also welcomed (I did read a fair bit of the info and links in "Complete Guide to LiPo Batteries and Failure Reports - Part II"

I have now a few day's a iCharger 106B+ , got it based on the excellent reports I found and after a cheap DX charger went up in smoke after 2 day's and i thought it would be better to not burn my home

AFAIK Lipo batteries should be "balanced" (not yet 100% sure why..) , so why has the 106B+ 2 types of Lipo charging? "Balance" and the others?
I always connected the balance leads (seamed safer ) and tested charging with both modes (always 1C charge or discharge) and it does not seams to make a huge difference (my cells are rather new if that matters) , cells where after charging always around 4.20 (give or take a mV or 2..3 - but the result also depends on what meter you use )

But should you not always use the "balance" charging?
And then why is the balancer not used in for example the "storage" or the decharge/charge option?
And a side Q: I assume there is no need to nitpick/worry if one cell is 4.21 V and another 4.17v...
guntherv is offline Find More Posts by guntherv
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:04 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,401 Posts
The balance part of the charge takes additional time. If a pack is balanced you don't necessarily have to balance every time you charge which saves time. As long as they are within a few hundredths you are good.
RCG Plus Member