HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2010, 04:44 PM
Poland
Joined Nov 2010
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackee View Post
does anybody know if it is mounted with double sided sticky tape? Just want to make sure it's tight and fully against the case so no dirt will get into the charger.
There is no sticky tape.
Your charger has a perforated housing and forced air flow. What type of dirt are you afraid of?
LeszekJ is offline Find More Posts by LeszekJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2010, 06:42 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,298 Posts
I made it a routine procedure to cover all my iChargers' display holes with overhead projector transparency film. I cut a piece which is 5mm bigger than the hole in all directions, and fix it with adhesive tape around all edges. This prevents not only dirt from getting into the case, but also the delicate display from getting dirty.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Dec 26, 2010, 06:45 PM
Joined Feb 2008
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeszekJ View Post
There is no sticky tape.
Your charger has a perforated housing and forced air flow. What type of dirt are you afraid of?
I race 1:8 offroad cars... Yes, I thought of that too, if it's dust in the air that will get sucked into the charger by the venting holes on the left anyway so I guess it does not matter if the display is not "super fitted".
mackee is offline Find More Posts by mackee
Old Dec 26, 2010, 08:46 PM
Rana
Gurgaon - India
Joined Jul 2009
154 Posts
Quote:
Today maybe not 20 but certainly higher than 10 A. And that smell... One of IRFs 3205 goes on the brink of explosion, I guess.
Don't you believe me?
And please, no remarks about my bulb stand
Its really great to see your video ! Your bulb holder / stand is perfectly alright, it should be like that only.

Sorry for your MOSFET burn !

Suggestion to replace IRF3205 with IRLB3036PBF 270Amp, 60V N-Channel MOSFET
narpat007 is offline Find More Posts by narpat007
Last edited by narpat007; Dec 27, 2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:23 AM
Joined Sep 2010
697 Posts
Has anyone faced any issue with the new 3.14 firmware?
aeromodellers is offline Find More Posts by aeromodellers
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:55 AM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Capacity Over Break Down Error

What does it mean? I searched the manual and this thread and couldn't find that phrase listed. I upgraded the firmware on my 206B to 3.14 and then charged 4 2200 Mah batteries at 9 volts. During the charging process the charger stopped and the screen toggled between the two messages:

"Capacity Over Break Down" and "Termination at 05005mAh 33m:19"

I checked the 4 batteries and they were cold to the touch so I turned the charger off and then back on and completed the charger normally.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:11 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackJones View Post
What does it mean? I searched the manual and this thread and couldn't find that phrase listed. I upgraded the firmware on my 206B to 3.14 and then charged 4 2200 Mah batteries at 9 volts. During the charging process the charger stopped and the screen toggled between the two messages:

"Capacity Over Break Down" and "Termination at 05005mAh 33m:19"

I checked the 4 batteries and they were cold to the touch so I turned the charger off and then back on and completed the charger normally.
It sounds like the capacity protection either got enabled in the new firmware, or it's always been on and you've just never hit 5000mah.

Reference page 10, about half way down, of the 206B manual.
EricJ320 is offline Find More Posts by EricJ320
Old Dec 27, 2010, 01:58 PM
Poland
Joined Nov 2010
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by narpat007 View Post
Suggestion to replace IRF3205 with IRLB3036PBF 270Amp, 60V N-Channel MOSFET
I think it's a problem of heat dissipation from TO-220. No place for a proper radiator, limited air flow under the PCB...
270 A MOSFET won't help at all.
LeszekJ is offline Find More Posts by LeszekJ
Old Dec 27, 2010, 04:44 PM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ320 View Post
It sounds like the capacity protection either got enabled in the new firmware, or it's always been on and you've just never hit 5000mah.

Reference page 10, about half way down, of the 206B manual.
Appreciate the assistance. I guess I need to either disable that option or up the mah level so that it doesn't cut off like it did today.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Dec 27, 2010, 07:44 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Exactly Zack. This setting is more intended for NiMh/NiCd.

Great to see version 3.14 released and out for public use!

No problems to report here.

Cheers,
David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2010, 03:57 AM
Rana
Gurgaon - India
Joined Jul 2009
154 Posts
Quote:
I think it's a problem of heat dissipation from TO-220. No place for a proper radiator, limited air flow under the PCB...
270 A MOSFET won't help at all.

Hi ! Please do not merely look at 270Amp figure, just see the difference from 8 milli ohm to 2.4 milli ohm, it will certainly help. For same voltage and current conditions, MOSFET whose on resistance is 2.4 milli ohm will have very less dissipation as co mpared with that who has 8 milli ohm.

Yesterday I have already ordered 10 pcs of IRLB3036PBF from www.irf.com and will replace all in my iCharger 206B.

What you can make sure that the Electrical isolatior-Thermal Pads of all the MOSFET's are well fixed.
narpat007 is offline Find More Posts by narpat007
Old Dec 28, 2010, 05:31 AM
Joined Dec 2010
58 Posts
Issues with 3.14 firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromodellers View Post
Has anyone faced any issue with the new 3.14 firmware?
[Note: I only received my 106B+ a few days ago, and flashed it to 3.14 almost immediately, so I can't say if the problems I describe are new to 3.14 or if they have been there in previous versions too.]

Input current display problem:
This is a minor issue. When I look at the input power status screen, and the charger is drawing more than 1.0A, I see a perfectly believable current. I was watching it as my battery approached full charge, and the input current gradually fell from 1.2A to 1.1A to 1.0A to .00A. I was expecting 0.9A, or better .99A, but it just shows .00A for all currents below 1.0A.

Balance port unused for NiMH batteries:
I understand that NiMH batteries can't be balance-charged the same way lithium batteries can, but where a balance port is available good use could still be made of it. As a minimum I would like to at least be able to monitor the individual cells during a charge or discharge. Better, during a discharge, I would like to stop when the first cell dropped under 1V rather than waiting for the average to be under 1V/cell. Ideally, I would like the charge termination to be based on the first cell that experienced the chosen deltaV rather than the average deltaV/cell.

Overdischarge problem:
This one is more serious, in that it damaged my battery. The battery in question was a small 7S NiMH "9V" 200mAh battery. I was discharging it at 0.1A rate. I had the minimum voltage set to 7.0V. Perhaps importantly, I had "Discharge reduce" ON and set to 10%. The discharge started at 0.1A, and progressed normally down to 7.0V. At 7.0V the discharge current started reducing (as expected) down to 0.01A. This was where I expected it to stop. However, what happened was that the discharge continued, all the way down to 0V, at which point the charger reported "CONNECTION BREAK DOWN" and stopped. (If you are wondering why I let it go all the way down to zero, the explanation is that I wasn't watching it at all; I only know what happened because I was logging everything.) Sadly my battery now no longer holds anywhere near as much charge as it used to do. Fortunately it was a cheap battery!

Overcharge problem:
This one might have been serious, except that this time I was watching at the critical moment. I was charging a 10S "12V" 3.5Ah NiMH cordless drill battery. I had done a discharge test, measuring the capacity as about 2.4Ah, so I had chosen an "Auto" charge with a 2.4A limit. I had the NiMH Sensitivity DeltaV set to 5mV/Cell. The charge progressed normally, and the voltage peaked at about 15.06V with the capacity about 3.20Ah. At this stage I was watching closely, and measuring the temperature with an infrared thermometer (about 30 degrees C). The charge continued, and as the temperature rose, the voltage decreased. By the time the voltage was down to 15.01V (capacity about 3.37Ah) the temperature was up to about 35 degrees C, and I was looking for termination given that the voltage was down 50mV (5mV/cell). But the charge went on... and on... The voltage kept falling 15.0... 14.9... 14.8... 14.7 and still no termination. The temperature kept climbing. When it reached 50 degrees C with no termination I gave up and pushed the stop button. The capacity had reached 3.73Ah! I have no idea how much longer it would have kept charging if I had not been watching, but it worries me. The voltage drop from peak to when I gave up was over 36mV/cell. Why didn't the charger notice that this was more than 5mV/cell?
eecs is offline Find More Posts by eecs
Old Dec 28, 2010, 06:41 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,734 Posts
Quote:
Overdischarge problem:
This one is more serious, in that it damaged my battery. The battery in question was a small 7S NiMH "9V" 200mAh battery. I was discharging it at 0.1A rate. I had the minimum voltage set to 7.0V. Perhaps importantly, I had "Discharge reduce" ON and set to 10%. The discharge started at 0.1A, and progressed normally down to 7.0V. At 7.0V the discharge current started reducing (as expected) down to 0.01A. This was where I expected it to stop

Discharge reduce does not control the cutoff voltage point.. Sounds like you failed to set a proper cut off point .
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Dec 28, 2010, 07:31 AM
Joined Jun 2004
78 Posts
Question how can i charge my Lipos only with the Balancerplug

how can i charge my Lipos only with the Balancerplug.
I like to charge my small 2S Packs (for UMX Beast). They only had a Balancerplug. I dont like to built a spezialcable.
Can i prog the 206B for that???
flyingfred is offline Find More Posts by flyingfred
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:08 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,734 Posts
Use a connector like is on the model's ESC on the iCharger's output and set the charger to Charge instead of Balance Charge.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer