HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:20 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,556 Posts
Quote:
Will setting "balance trickle" ON will result in faster balancing?
Short answer no.

julez use this option I believe mostly because he does a lot of parallel charging at low charge rates as in over night charges.

Balance Trickle is covered in the Owner's Manual. The effect it has is to greatly increase the balancing time. Normal Balancing charge terminates at 1/10C , Fast 1/5C ,Slow 1/40C and Trickle adds a maintaince (float) charge to hold cells at 4.2 for addational soaking.

Note. Some LiPolys (mostly bargin brands) are so out of balance when received that it takes a very long time at a low charge rate to get them balanced. Most after being so charged and balanced a few times get better unless they have truely defective cells.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2010, 02:18 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jul 2007
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Short answer no.

julez use this option I believe mostly because he does a lot of parallel charging at low charge rates as in over night charges.

Balance Trickle is covered in the Owner's Manual. The effect it has is to greatly increase the balancing time. Normal Balancing charge terminates at 1/10C , Fast 1/5C ,Slow 1/40C and Trickle adds a maintaince (float) charge to hold cells at 4.2 for addational soaking.

Note. Some LiPolys (mostly bargin brands) are so out of balance when received that it takes a very long time at a low charge rate to get them balanced. Most after being so charged and balanced a few times get better unless they have truely defective cells.

Charles
Thanks for the explanation Charles
carrotcake is offline Find More Posts by carrotcake
Old Dec 24, 2010, 03:08 PM
Austria
Joined Jul 2008
150 Posts
When will be v3.14 available for the 3010B?
tuxian is offline Find More Posts by tuxian
Old Dec 24, 2010, 08:19 PM
Rana
Gurgaon - India
Joined Jul 2009
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeszekJ View Post
I've managed to get 18-19 A (icharger 208).
By chance
I've been testing a serial-parallel set of 12 V car bulbs (each bulb 55+60 W) with a half empty 3S lipo. However, it hasn't been possible with a fully charged 3S lipo.
Its really great ! Can you post some video ?
narpat007 is offline Find More Posts by narpat007
Old Dec 24, 2010, 09:55 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxian View Post
When will be v3.14 available for the 3010B?
Hello tuxian,

The V3.14 is available for all our chargers, and we have finished it and uploaded the information to the first post, you can download the latest version from it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839657

Best regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Dec 25, 2010, 03:10 AM
Austria
Joined Jul 2008
150 Posts
Thank you!
Just upgraded the 208B and the 3010B without any problems.
tuxian is offline Find More Posts by tuxian
Old Dec 26, 2010, 04:57 AM
Joined Feb 2008
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
That is normal for many power supplies. It can be anything from a slight whine, to a hiss, or a crackling sound.
All my power supplies from various manufactuerers, even the one from my IBM laptop, have it in varying degrees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackee View Post
I had a power supply for the Wii console that sounded like a crazy mosquito, it had a very annoying high pitched sound that drove anyone near it totally insane... Sent it back for warranty replacement and got back a new one that was dead silent.

From the above experience I now that this is somewhat depending on the unit, the sound will differ even between units of the same model. I'm thinking of asking for a replacement but I realize it is a draw of luck, will the new one be better or maybe even worse...?

In my case the sound is best described as "sparling" or "crackling". Maybe it will get better over time when the unit has been pushed and the electronics have been heated up and "burnt in" a few times?

Anyway I would appreciate if anyone with a P350 would share their experience. Does all P350 sound like this? A comment from Junsi would also appreciated. If the sound is not normal I really would like to now that. It's a very powerful device, don't want to burn down the house...
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi View Post
Hello Sir,

Sorry to cause you trouble.

Generally speaking, all the power supply can make noise, but sounds low or loud. According to your description, if the noise wasn't caused by the fan, maybe caused by the transformers, for there exists gaps between wires and magnet steels during the process of making transformers. And the noise come into being as the oscillation caused by the vary of frequency. But it's normal as you mentioned the sound is not loud.

We can reduce the noise by spreading grease on the transformers to fill the gaps.

Not all P350 come with this noise, because we can not exclude we can make the grease completely and evenly. If the noise is too high to bear, you can replace another one from your supplier.

Sincerely
Junsi
This sound is NOT a buzzing (mosquito like) one normally found in transformers. It does not sound as it is caused by any component vibration caused by oscillations.

As I wrote before, it's sounds more like a computer hard drive moving its head or the crackling sound coming from a bonfire. I will use the power supply some more and see if it gets better, otherwise I guess I have to contact the reseller.
mackee is offline Find More Posts by mackee
Old Dec 26, 2010, 06:12 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,556 Posts
Quote:
This sound is NOT a buzzing (mosquito like) one normally found in transformers. It does not sound as it is caused by any component vibration caused by oscillations.
Then most likely the fan which you cam check by noting if it is quite when not running,if sounds change with its' speed and if sound stops when you stop the fan.

If you are DIY at all you can disasemble the PS and lubicate the fan and most likely it willbe much better. I lubucate the fans on all of my computers,power supplies,chargers etc. I use CLP Breakfree however many use 3 In One Oil and such.
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Dec 26, 2010, 08:42 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,214 Posts
The whining sounds with an identical frequency all the time come from some switching frequencies of components: these Power supplies are called "switching power supplies" for a reason.
The crackling comes from regulated circuits that change their power throughput all the time. some sensing circuits monitir the output voltage and load all the time, and adjust the power flow to the output all the time within a split second.

Block the fan with a small screw driver for a short time, and if the sound goes away, it was indeed the fan. If lubricating as Charles suggested does not work, get a "Sunon Maglev" fan with similar specs from eBay. These are the best.
Julez is online now Find More Posts by Julez
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:09 AM
Joined Feb 2008
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Then most likely the fan which you cam check by noting if it is quite when not running,if sounds change with its' speed and if sound stops when you stop the fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
The crackling comes from regulated circuits that change their power throughput all the time. some sensing circuits monitir the output voltage and load all the time, and adjust the power flow to the output all the time within a split second.
It is not the fan, the sound is there even when the fan is not running. It must be from the regulating circuits that Julez are describing.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:24 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,214 Posts
Well, then, if it annoys you too much, ask your seller for a new one. Perhaps, you can even ask him to test the new one for noise before shipping.
Julez is online now Find More Posts by Julez
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:09 PM
Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,311 Posts
Hey guys, I have a icharger 106B+

and was wondering, how do I know how much I am putting back into my lipos ?

THanks
Wade1 is offline Find More Posts by Wade1
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:46 PM
Poland
Joined Nov 2010
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by narpat007 View Post
Its really great ! Can you post some video ?
Today maybe not 20 but certainly higher than 10 A. And that smell... One of IRFs 3205 goes on the brink of explosion, I guess.
Don't you believe me?
And please, no remarks about my bulb stand
LeszekJ is offline Find More Posts by LeszekJ
Old Dec 26, 2010, 04:11 PM
Joined Feb 2008
73 Posts
Not sure if I dare to ask this after all my questions about the power supply...

Anyway... I just saved settings for all my batteries and noticed one thing with my new 208B: the screen is not mounted totally flat against the casing, it is a little bit tilted towards me. Is this how it should be mounted, maybe it's done on purpose for easier readings (though I doubt it)? If not, does anybody know if it is mounted with double sided sticky tape? Just want to make sure it's tight and fully against the case so no dirt will get into the charger.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 04:40 PM
Ignint McNugget
behind Jaggi lines
Joined Jan 2004
907 Posts
That doesn't sound right. The screen on my 208B is flat/parallel with the top of the case.
Rumple is offline Find More Posts by Rumple