HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:29 PM
Joined Dec 2010
22 Posts
It's actually +$190 or so to go 306B when you factor in the power supply cost.
iThinman is offline Find More Posts by iThinman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:37 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinman View Post
It's actually +$190 or so to go 306B when you factor in the power supply cost.
Yes, if you assume you are buying a PS that will fully power the 306B. But the fact is, the P350 doesn't fully power the 208B either. So it's somewhat comparing apples to oranges. I simply meant the difference in the charger itself.

Although, there are several threads on here showing how to take relatively cheap PS's in series to fully power the 1000+W chargers, if you are willing to take that project on.
EricJ320 is offline Find More Posts by EricJ320
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:17 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
United States, NM, Socorro
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinman View Post
I almost did just that, but opted for the 208 because I actually like the external balance board.
The external balance boards are not made for a specific charger and will work on any iCharger including the 206B. You just need the cable with a 6s plug on it instead of the 8s plug on it, and they are sold with your choice of cable.
tjinguy is offline Find More Posts by tjinguy
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:06 AM
Joined Jun 2005
112 Posts
I think my charger did not come with or got lost in the packaging a balancing cable where are we able to purchase new ones? I wanted to 10s for the 3010b.
magudaman is offline Find More Posts by magudaman
Old Dec 22, 2010, 02:22 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,307 Posts
I upgraded the my 2 1/2 year old 1010B to v.3.13f yesterday. Regenerative discharge works on this one too. Amazing stuff!

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Dec 22, 2010, 04:09 AM
Rana
Gurgaon - India
Joined Jul 2009
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
I upgraded the my 2 1/2 year old 1010B to v.3.13f yesterday. Regenerative discharge works on this one too. Amazing stuff!

Fred

Thats really great Fred !

I recently got mail from Junsi, they said their engineer could not identify the way to forcibly bring the iCharger 206B in programming mode and suggested me to send the charger to them.

I insisted to kindly suggest the way out, because it will be very time consuming and expensive also.

I even said that since 206 is not much different as compared with 208, so there would be deffinately some way and urged that I may do it at my own risk but they did not.

I even asked them that I can program all AVR's, all PIC if they can tell me which 44pin PLCC microcontroller is being used in 206 then I can try buning the bin file by connecting wires to the microcontroller and relevent programmer.

But they did not...

Hey guys, can someone from you reveal which microcontroller is being used in 206 / 208 ?

Aside to Junsi: I am not going to do any reverse-engineering on your charger and copy but just wanted if you could really help. You know sending the charger to you and coming back to me would take atleast 30 days and atleast total of 75-80 US$ shipping cost by EMS.

I just wanted to save all that.

Regards

Rana
narpat007 is offline Find More Posts by narpat007
Old Dec 22, 2010, 07:53 AM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by narpat007 View Post
Hey guys, can someone from you reveal which microcontroller is being used in 206 / 208 ?
I've tried a couple times to figure it out just to satisfy my own curiosity. The package markings on my two iChargers are too well ground off to even figure out the manufacturer much less the particular part number. If they go to enough trouble to grind the tops off the packages I don't expect they'll tell anyone what the secret is.

Maybe they don't have a mechanism to encrypt and sign the binary and a bootloader in the uC so they're concerned about someone taking the binary and rolling out exact copies of their product?
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Dec 22, 2010, 08:07 AM
St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
Joined Oct 2003
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi View Post
Hello Viflyer,

Do you mean the problem of fan is happened to P350? if yes, that is normal for P350 with the oscillation.

And if it comes to the 106B+, which is abnormal for the unit.

Sincerely
Junsi

Yes, I was refering to the PS-350 not the 106B+.

All is well and both are working fine. I appreciate your prompt reply to my basic questions.

Norm
viflyer is offline Find More Posts by viflyer
Old Dec 22, 2010, 04:22 PM
learning to crash Heli's
Melbourne
Joined Aug 2007
689 Posts
Just a quick thanks to Junsi for making a great product, I finally updated from my 1010b+ (keeping it as a reserve now) and purchased a 3010 from my local shop (Ark innovations) here in Melbourne for a good price.

Used it to charge up 4 of my 5s 4000 packs in parallel yesterday at a bit over 1C and it worked beautifully. I have both a 750w PS and a deep cycle 155ah battery to keep it well feed, will be good to start stretching it's legs with some high current charging.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is online now Find More Posts by Thunder Fighter
Old Dec 22, 2010, 04:23 PM
Joined Feb 2008
73 Posts
Edit: Just found an answer to my own question. If enabling the "Discharge reduce" setting and set it to 15% I get a decent final storage voltage.

Original post:
Just tried to use the storage mode for the first time on my new 208B (firmware 3.13h) and I'm more than a bit confused... The battery is a 2S 1750mAh. I set the charger to storage mode and to use a current of 1.7A. The battery is fully charged when the storage mode operation is started. Fine, the charger starts discharging at 1.7A and do so for a while. Then it abruptly stop and say it is finished but at this point the cells read 3.95V each! That seems pretty far from the storage value of 3.85V. In the manual it says for storage mode "Charge termination condition: Vout = cell_count x cell_storage_voltage". Does this mean that the charger will stop when the pack voltage is, in this case, 7.70V UNDER LOAD?

Does all this mean that I need to use a very small current when using the storage function if I want the final cell values to be 3.85V? Please enlighten me! If this is the case you can never perform a storage mode operation as fast as possible. The storage function will stop prematurely.

It also seems that the balancer is not active during storage operation (according to the manual). Can anyone explain why that is? In my opinion it would be a great feature if you could discharge/charge each cell to exactly 3.85V.
mackee is offline Find More Posts by mackee
Last edited by mackee; Dec 22, 2010 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Found a solution
Old Dec 22, 2010, 04:24 PM
Rana
Gurgaon - India
Joined Jul 2009
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM732 View Post
I've tried a couple times to figure it out just to satisfy my own curiosity. The package markings on my two iChargers are too well ground off to even figure out the manufacturer much less the particular part number. If they go to enough trouble to grind the tops off the packages I don't expect they'll tell anyone what the secret is.

Maybe they don't have a mechanism to encrypt and sign the binary and a bootloader in the uC so they're concerned about someone taking the binary and rolling out exact copies of their product?
Hi Guys !, the secret is revealed, let Junsi comment, if he doesn,t then I will do it for the benefit of the RC community here in this very forum.
narpat007 is offline Find More Posts by narpat007
Last edited by narpat007; Dec 22, 2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 05:55 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,723 Posts
mackee

When a battery is discharged at a high rate then it bounches up more than if discharged at a lower rate. By setting Disc Reduce to 15% and using 1.7A then the discharge is reduced to 15% of 1.7 or .255 amps. when the set voltage (3.8) is reached. This then reduces the bounch back. It is not necessary or desired to balance during discharge. The cells only need to be balanced when charged not discharged. Alos a storage voltage of between 3.7 and 4.0 is fine. I chose and started posting 3.85 per cell years ago because this is the mid point of this range. Years ago most LiPolys where shipped at 3.7 per cell now most are shipped at around 3.85. I guess many of the vendors decided to follow my lead.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Dec 22, 2010, 06:32 PM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
755 Posts
I also just recieved my first 208B, with firmware 3.13h. Works well and I'm building some parallel connectors now.
On 'storage' mode my 2200 3s finishes at 3.92v per cell from discharge, and 3.85v/cell when charged to storage. As EDF says, this is fine, but what is the best way to adjust this if you prefer 3.85? discharge reduce?
Does discharge reduce work as CV phase in charge? With DR off does the discharge finish with no Cv phase at all?
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Old Dec 22, 2010, 06:52 PM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Jan 2005
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by narpat007 View Post
Hi Guys !, the secret is revealed, let Junsi comment, if he doesn,t then I will do it for the benefit of the RC community here in this very forum.

Is it an Atmel 89C51ED2?
CFIMEI is online now Find More Posts by CFIMEI
Old Dec 22, 2010, 07:47 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,723 Posts
Quote:
but what is the best way to adjust this if you prefer 3.85? discharge reduce?
Does discharge reduce work as CV phase in charge? With DR off does the discharge finish with no Cv phase at all?
Correct. WIth no DR and discharge is set at 10A then when cell reaches 3.85 dDsc ends. If DR is set to 10% then when 3.85 us reached discharge is reduced to 1A and Dsc ends when this 1A discharge brings cell to 3.85. 10% is also the Standard used in the CV stage while charging.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer