HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2010, 01:15 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
This is precisely what you do not want to do as doing so will create a short and most assuredly burn the traces in the board, at a minimum.
Mark, I now understand what I was saying was wrong. I see now that the 3 available 2s ports on the board are for series charging. I have seen in the other links to run all the 2s plugs in parallel up into the 3s 4s 5s ports etc.

The more I read in all these links though is confusing me more, so here is a couple more questions....

Hypothetical situations with the batteries that I will own and how I would charge them in parallel on the 208 icharger.....

Lets say 3, 2s 5000 mah batteries. Normally I would charge 1 by itself at 2c or 10A. So would I set the Charger to 20A (max for 208 model) since it is charging 3 batteries? So is each battery seeing 6.66A or for some reason is each battery seeing 20A?

Also what do you input for MAH (capacity) into the charger settings? Since it's 3 5000mah batteries do you input 15000mah (if that is even able to be input) or still just 5000mah?

Some of the few examples I have seen and read were just relating to small mah batteries therefore I am not quite getting this right in my head.

Sorry I sound like a dumb newbie because I am and there is not much room left in my brain so I gotta learn this slowly LOL.

Thanks for your help.
royalnine is offline Find More Posts by royalnine
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2010, 01:24 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
United States, NM, Socorro
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalnine View Post
Mark, I now understand what I was saying was wrong. I see now that the 3 available 2s ports on the board are for series charging. I have seen in the other links to run all the 2s plugs in parallel up into the 3s 4s 5s ports etc.

The more I read in all these links though is confusing me more, so here is a couple more questions....

Hypothetical situations with the batteries that I will own and how I would charge them in parallel on the 208 icharger.....

Lets say 3, 2s 5000 mah batteries. Normally I would charge 1 by itself at 2c or 10A. So would I set the Charger to 20A (max for 208 model) since it is charging 3 batteries? So is each battery seeing 6.66A or for some reason is each battery seeing 20A?

Also what do you input for MAH (capacity) into the charger settings? Since it's 3 5000mah batteries do you input 15000mah (if that is even able to be input) or still just 5000mah?

Some of the few examples I have seen and read were just relating to small mah batteries therefore I am not quite getting this right in my head.

Sorry I sound like a dumb newbie because I am and there is not much room left in my brain so I gotta learn this slowly LOL.

Thanks for your help.
Placing batteries in series or parallel creates a larger battery in effect. You then charge that resultant battery with a charger. So placing 3x 2s1p 5000mAh packs in parallel would become a 2s3p 15000mAh pack. See how the "p" changed? That denotes how many cells are in parallel. You would then set the charger to charge a 2s 15000mAh pack. The 1C charge rate would be 15A and the capacity cutoff would need to be raised to 15000mAh. When charging, the amount of current flowing to each of the 3 packs will be determined by the capacity of each pack. In this case all 3 are the same, so the current would get divided by 3, so each pack will be charged at 5A. This makes sense because you are charging the 15000mAh pack at 1C and it will be done in about an hour, just like if you charged each pack at 1C or 5A.

Here is a link to my parallel article.
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...allel-charging
tjinguy is offline Find More Posts by tjinguy
Old Dec 15, 2010, 01:25 PM
Slovenia
Joined Jan 2005
27 Posts
Log Files Management confusion

Junsi,
306 is in my possession for a month and I'm happy with it.
find out only one thing that I am confused with
loging need some standardization and more precise information.
this is only my observation and I don't want to be meticulous
it's not big problem at all but it needs some correction.

before loging:
1. when log memory is clear it shows free capacity : 40h:52
2. alternately shows also 2016Kb, correct me If I'm wrong but this is olny 2MB not 16MB as it is mentioned in spec.
//this information you can delete - no one knows what this realy mean or no one knows what it's relation to value-''time''.

//I think the most importatn is free log time capacity, size of log file are measured in hours and minutes: 40h:52

3.when you log for example charge(without balancing) process for a minute and stop manualy
//when you check log file it shows ''Select[1/1]'' right to that it shows 30.
what this 30 mean - I dont know, insted of this it should show time in hours:minutes for this case 00h:01

//when you check free time capacity after only one minute loging it shows 40h:47, where those 4 are gone (40h:52 free in the begining, ofter a minute it must shows free 40h:51)

//when you log 2 minute - it shows after that again free 40h:47 equal as when you log only a minute ?

so my point is, make some standard, one value ''TIME'' that it will be understandable to every one. IMHO those Kb it's not interested.
I don't want to be log file presented in accuracy of a second, NO.
I think that number 30 in one minute loging number means that you make 2 second interval to measure, I don't care about it.

AFTER ALL:
free log capacity, size of log file, should be presented only in TIME value, format 00h:01 that every one will understand.

and this TIME value should be more accurate (see upper example when loging one minute and after that free time capacity is lovered by 5 minutes)

transfer can be shown in some other figures,steps that time if that couse problem to you're programing staf.

maybe this should be for PM, because 'One' that join this reading in very last page think that with this charger is something strange here, but it's not, I'm happy with it, do the JOB I'm only want to help in dethails.
and If I missed something, or understand wrong please inform and correct me.

and agian, great job Junsi and the team.
with kind reagrds, Simon
cheech2 is offline Find More Posts by cheech2
Old Dec 15, 2010, 01:41 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjinguy View Post
Placing batteries in series or parallel creates a larger battery in effect. You then charge that resultant battery with a charger. So placing 3x 2s1p 5000mAh packs in parallel would become a 2s3p 15000mAh pack. See how the "p" changed? That denotes how many cells are in parallel. You would then set the charger to charge a 2s 15000mAh pack. The 1C charge rate would be 15A and the capacity cutoff would need to be raised to 15000mAh. When charging, the amount of current flowing to each of the 3 packs will be determined by the capacity of each pack. In this case all 3 are the same, so the current would get divided by 3, so each pack will be charged at 5A. This makes sense because you are charging the 15000mAh pack at 1C and it will be done in about an hour, just like if you charged each pack at 1C or 5A.

Here is a link to my parallel article.
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...allel-charging
Sweet! I am finally getting my brain in order here now. 15000mah is a pretty high number. Do the ichargers allow that high of a number to be input?
Old Dec 15, 2010, 01:51 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
United States, NM, Socorro
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
Quote:
Sweet! I am finally getting my brain in order here now. 15000mah is a pretty high number. Do the ichargers allow that high of a number to be input?
I am not sure what chargers you are familiar with but iChargers do not have a "battery capacity" setting. You simply state the charge rate you would like. The only place the capacity of the battery might come into play is for the capacity cutoff, which is a safety feature that stops the charge cycle if it is met. The default is 10000mAh, so for a 15000 mAh battery you would have to either raise it to 15000 (it goes to 99900mAH I believe) or disable it.
tjinguy is offline Find More Posts by tjinguy
Old Dec 15, 2010, 02:10 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjinguy View Post
I am not sure what chargers you are familiar with but iChargers do not have a "battery capacity" setting. You simply state the charge rate you would like. The only place the capacity of the battery might come into play is for the capacity cutoff, which is a safety feature that stops the charge cycle if it is met. The default is 10000mAh, so for a 15000 mAh battery you would have to either raise it to 15000 (it goes to 99900mAH I believe) or disable it.
That is what I was referring to but I worded it wrong. Thanks for all your help and input. You guys are great and very informative over here.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 03:31 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Quote:
That is what I was referring to but I worded it wrong. Thanks for all your help and input. You guys are great and very informative over here.
Get you self a paraboard from www.epbuddy.com and you wont regret it. Works like a charm and makes it much less complicated.

Ben
Ben-Rod is offline Find More Posts by Ben-Rod
Old Dec 15, 2010, 03:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Absolutely: finest solution I know of, and a great seller.
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 15, 2010, 05:26 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-Rod View Post
Get you self a paraboard from www.epbuddy.com and you wont regret it. Works like a charm and makes it much less complicated.

Ben
WOW! Yeah that is a sweet piece for sure. I will definitely be getting one of those.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 09:43 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech2 View Post

before loging:
2. alternately shows also 2016Kb, correct me If I'm wrong but this is olny 2MB not 16MB as it is mentioned in spec.
Hello Cheech,

Thanks for your suggestion.
In the user's manual, we point that 16Mbit, not 16M byte. Please pay attention to it.

Quote:
when you check log file it shows ''Select[1/1]'' right to that it shows 30.
what this 30 mean - I dont know, insted of this it should show time in hours:minutes for this case 00h:01
30 means the total number of recording.

Quote:
//when you check free time capacity after only one minute loging it shows 40h:47, where those 4 are gone (40h:52 free in the begining, ofter a minute it must shows free 40h:51)

//when you log 2 minute - it shows after that again free 40h:47 equal as when you log only a minute ?
It's related to the inner construction of the file system. Because we make one sector as the nimi memory space, that is 4K, so it causes the above situation.

For example, even only one record in one file, it also needs 4K capacity, we make the time according to it.

Sincerely
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:09 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,298 Posts
Power Supply Auto detection feature?

Hi all,

the other day I stumbled over this marvel of engineering:
A little power supply from eBay with a lot of power and a very reasonable price of €18. I can't wait until it arrives.
However, the full 180W can only be used at voltages above the 13.8V which my other power supplies have.
The iChargers have the very convenient feature, that one can enter a minimum voltage, to which the power supply voltage can be dragged down. Once this minimum voltage is reached, the charge current is reduced. Thus, the carger draws just as much current as the power supply is able to deliver at that voltage. This is great, as one can use all the power the power supply can deliver without much tweaking.
For example, I have set my minimum voltage to 12.5V, which works great with my power supplies and my 10s5p A123 field battery.

The problem I see is, when one uses different power supplies with different voltages, that one has to adjust the minimum voltage according to the power supply ratings, to make use of the "sweet spot" wher the power supply can deliver the most power.
It would be great if the charger had a feature to adjust to that individual "sweet spot" automatically. I think this would be possible.
From my experience with other power supplies, which are overload protected, I have guessed that the voltage will behave as drawn in the left graph when the current rises and at one point exceeds the rating.

As one can see in the right graph, the power maxes out at 7.5A.
These graphs look pretty much the same for all power supplies, one just has to adjust the X and Y axes according to the ratings.
This makes me believe, that a single algorithm in the charger would be able to detect the "sweet spot" of maximum power for all power supplies of different ratings.
It should be able to work like this:
At the beginning, the charger ramps up the charge current, and keeps track of the input power. When at one point, it notices that the input power decreases, it stops trying to ramp up the charge current, and fixes the future output power for the rest of the charge at the exaxt value it had before the input power began to decrease.
This algorithm happens before every charge.
It can be selected in the setup menu whether one wants to make use of it, or use the settings which are currently available.

The low voltage setting for possible supply batterys will most likely be lower than the voltage at the "sweet spot", so this feature remains unaffected.
This means, that the charger is able to find a "sweet spot" at voltages above the minimum battery protection voltage, and never goes to a voltage below that.

What do you think about this idea?

Cheers,

Julez
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Last edited by Julez; Dec 16, 2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:45 AM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Rather than fix the input power when it starts to drop wouldn't you want to fix the input current at the value that corresponds to the highest observed input power before it started to drop off?
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:49 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,298 Posts
Yes, of course the only means for the charger to reduce it's input power is to reduce the input current, as it only has indirect influence on the input voltange and therfore on the input power as well.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:54 AM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Seems like a good idea to me.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Dec 16, 2010, 01:58 PM
Joined Dec 2007
230 Posts
hey guys,

I need some quick advice, my car battery is dead, voltage dropped to 6V from 12V, I cannot charge it because charger complains about low voltage. Is there any way to save the car battery? Is there a way to disable this check? or use a different mode to regenerate.

Thanks
s.illes79 is offline Find More Posts by s.illes79