SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 29, 2010, 08:48 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
Guys I just picked up a 106b used from an rcgroup member and he said it was pretty much new. I just recieved it today and its looks brand new. Here are the two issues that iv had so far. While trying tocharge my transmitter lipo at 1C (3s 2200 5c) I noticed a smell of burnt electronics in the middle of the charge. I looked down and felt no heat from the charger, but it had a smell that something was burnt. It currently charges and balances my 3s lipos without any problem. I took the unit apart but couldnt see anything burnt.

Second issue was when I tried to charge my 1800mah 4s 40c battery. I tried charging it at different amps all the ay up to 3.6 amps and keep getting the same message before it starts. Its keeps reading "Battery Check Over Voltage" My power supply is one of the cheap standard ones that laptops use, but im not really sure this is a powersupply issue or something with the burnt smell or what. Any advice would be great.

Troy
yellowcolorado is online now Find More Posts by yellowcolorado
Last edited by yellowcolorado; Sep 29, 2010 at 09:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2010, 08:55 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,759 Posts
Quote:
Its keeps reading "Battery Check Over Voltage"
What is the total battery voltage and how many cells is it detecting?

Burnt smells are never an indication if anything good..

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:01 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
It was detecting a voltage of 14.85. Im not sure how it detects how many cells.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:14 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,759 Posts
Well that is an avergae of 3.7125 per cell for a 4S which is fine but if the charger does not see all 4 cells thru the balancing leads and instead only sees 3 perhaps that is the source of the error. The charger's display should show how many cells detected or you vcan go to the Mointir screen and check.

If you did not get the owner's manual go to first post of this thread and download one.

Charles
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:57 PM
Miami, Florida
Joined May 2004
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech2 View Post
no problem if it's bit higher input voltage ...even if it not stabilised in mili volts it's ok because when you calibrate you do not extra change the consumption from power supplay so no variation of that supplay voltage
but you need to measure that power supplay voltage and set it in claibration menu to the very same value - readed from voltmeter.
regards,Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumple View Post
Calibrating with a higher input voltage is probably ok as already noted.

However, I do recall that performing firmware updates is recommended with a 12V Pb source to insure problem-free updating. If instead using a plug-in supply like the P350, in the unlikely event of losing power during the firmware update, you can corrupt the firmware and effectively brick the charger. Perhaps that caution exists for the calibration process also.(?)
Thanks for the advise guys, one less thing to worry about
GoRgOyL is offline Find More Posts by GoRgOyL
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:15 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
Without using the balance port, the cell count detected by the charger is
higher than that set by the user.
Please check the cell count of the battery pack.

Thats all I get from the manual... Im so pissed off that this guy would sell me this no good charger.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:37 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,083 Posts
yellowcolorado,

Sounds to me like the 'balance board' that is internal to your 106B may have somehow suffered a short and smoked the trace going to cell #4 since you indicate that it works well with 3S packs and does not work properly when attempting to charge your 4S pack. This can be easily verified by popping the lid and inspecting and buzzing out the board with a DMM. If an open trace is detected, it can be easily be repaired with a jumper (provided you have decent fine soldering skills).

Also, if you haven't already, check the balance tap on your 4S pack to ensure that you don't have a broken tap wire.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:17 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
Sounds to me like the 'balance board' that is internal to your 106B may have somehow suffered a short and smoked the trace going to cell #4 since you indicate that it works well with 3S packs and does not work properly when attempting to charge your 4S pack. This can be easily verified by popping the lid and inspecting and buzzing out the board with a DMM. If an open trace is detected, it can be easily be repaired with a jumper (provided you have decent fine soldering skills).

Also, if you haven't already, check the balance tap on your 4S pack to ensure that you don't have a broken tap wire.

Mark
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

Mark thanks for the reply. I pretty decent at soldering, I just have no clue what to look for. What is the process for looking for the burnt trace exactly with the DMM?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:32 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcolorado View Post
Mark thanks for the reply. I pretty decent at soldering, I just have no clue what to look for. What is the process for looking for the burnt trace exactly with the DMM?
It's really pretty easy and you very well may be able to tell visually. After popping the top off, closely inspect the backside of the balance board and look at the traces that go from the 4S (5 pin) tap. If the board has been shorted one of the traces will fuse open and will typically char the green soldermask that covers the traces. While you're in there, take a look at all of the solder joints to ensure that none are cracked.

If no problems are readily evident, set your DMM on resistance check (ohms) and meter from solder joints where the taps terminate on the balance board to the connection on the main board of the charger. All should read a very low value (< .5 ohms). A smoked trace will read open. This process is much easier if your DMM has an audible continuity setting.

Also take a quick look at all of the JST-XH pins where your packs plug in to ensure that you don't have any bent pins.

I would shoot you some photos on what to look for but I am traveling at the moment and am 1700 miles from my 106B's.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:35 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnicomps View Post
My firmware ver. is 3.12b. Yes I do have trickle charge on and balance mode is set to fast and always on. Thanks for the quick reply junsi and I hope you have a good holiday
Whatever combination of settings are used, the charger should never let cells go above 4.20V (4.23 4.24 4.23). If this is the case it should be fixed, if not already done in later FW versions.

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:55 AM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
United States, NM, Socorro
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
Whatever combination of settings are used, the charger should never let cells go above 4.20V (4.23 4.24 4.23). If this is the case it should be fixed, if not already done in later FW versions.

Fred
Before anyone decides that their charger is overcharging a lipo, they need to make sure they are using an accurate measuring device. Last year I took 8 multimeters and compared their readings. What I found was that most were off by as much as .05V. Some high, some low, some right on. So I would recommend getting an accurate measurement before deciding that the charger is not accurate.
tjinguy is offline Find More Posts by tjinguy
Old Sep 30, 2010, 01:28 AM
Joined Sep 2010
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjinguy View Post
Before anyone decides that their charger is overcharging a lipo, they need to make sure they are using an accurate measuring device. Last year I took 8 multimeters and compared their readings. What I found was that most were off by as much as .05V. Some high, some low, some right on. So I would recommend getting an accurate measurement before deciding that the charger is not accurate.
To add to this, tjing is absolutely correct. A precise measure is of utmost importance. Also, if Junsi has to pitch in, I believe the first corrective action that he will insist on, will be to upgrade to the latest firmware.

Fluke are quite reliable meters (though a bit expensive) but I believe in spending one time on a quality product, rather than buying new Lipos everytime that may get damaged due to faulty readings.
aeromodellers is offline Find More Posts by aeromodellers
Old Sep 30, 2010, 01:31 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjinguy View Post
I assumed that 4.23 4.24 4.23 were displayed by the charger, and not by a DVM or cheap cell checker.

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Sep 30, 2010, 04:53 AM
Joined Oct 2008
149 Posts
Hello !

Question :

If the I-charger have voll automatic mode for Li po bateris ( adapting the charging curent acording the internal resistance of batery pack ).

And if have how to set ?

Regards

Regards
HSC2 is offline Find More Posts by HSC2
Old Sep 30, 2010, 05:22 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,759 Posts
Even if the cells are charged to 4.23 4.24 4.23 it is really not a big deal. Many years ago when LiPolys were overall not as good as they are today some of the LiPoly over charge safety disconnect devices tripped at 4.325 . Some have been known to charge LiPolys to 4.3 on purpose to get more performance off the line in competetion. LiPolys do not puff up or go pop at 4.3 volts as some would have you believe.

Charging to 4.3 does reduce their life but I have not done such life cycle testing on cells made in the past 12-18 month. In the past discharging greater than 60 to 80% equaled greatly reduced life but today'sw cells seem to handle deeper discharge much better. Still best not to but perhaps not as damaging. It could very well be that newer LiPoly cells also stand charging to 4.3 much better than ones from the past.

If anyone is truely concerned ser end of charge for 4.1 or 4.15 per cell and let your Lipolys last even longer. With cells from the past charging to only 4.1 greatly increased the number of cycles they would deliver.

One other point. The OP stated he connected fully charged LiPoly to top it off. This is unnecessary, a bad practice and he also stated when he returned later. LiPolys should not be charged unattended most especially if doing a forced top of a fully charge pack or other such out of the norm practices.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Sep 30, 2010 at 07:20 AM.