HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:02 AM
Trainee :)
Australia, QLD
Joined Sep 2008
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
To rule out the 2S port completely, you could try to connect it to one of the other ports via some kind of adapter. Another possibility is to pull out the most positive wire on a 3S pack to simulate a 2S pack in the 3S port.

Which main wire needs to be connected to get proper readings, -, + or both?
Fred
Thanks Fred - yes, in part your suggestion was similar to a PM by Junsi.
The video shows it (but a bit blurry) - however both mains leads are required for 100% proper reading.
If the negative is disconnected (positive connected), it reads a certain value (Value #1).
If Positive is disconnected, (negative connected) it reads another different value (Value #2).
If both Positive and Negative are disconnected, the value is different yet again (Value #3).
Cell voltage Value #1 is not equal to Value #2 and neither Value #1 or Value #2 is equal to Value #3.

The video shows the 2S pack to be in perfect balance and the 2S pack and other 2S packs work fine in a different charger, all 2S packs have this problem so I can only assume its something to do with the 2S "socket" although there doesnt appear to be any PCB damage \ burn marks - and there is defintely no phyiscal damage to the socket etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi View Post
Hello OzDruiD,
I have replied your PM. Please check it.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Kind regards,
Junsi
Thanks - In testing the 3S, 4S, 5S and 6S sockets, they all report similar "voltage imbalances". The 2S pack works fine on another charger and there doesnt appear to be a fault with the 2S Pack balance plug. Fault appears to be with the charger, either software code or some unknown damage to the PCB Components (no burn marks, no damage to solder or PCB tracks is visible etc).

As far as sending back for a replacement, Hobbyking was my place of purchase and Its over 2 years old, it just so happens I have never tried to charge 2S prior know as before this I always used a BEC rather than a 2S flight pack. I am guessing at the end of the day, even as disappointing as it is, with the age of the charger its not worth the cost of "freight" and repairs to send it back to hobbyking or direct to Junsi.

Edit Note:- I decided to make another you tube video to show this aditional testing. I will edit the video clips together and upload ASAP.
OzDruiD is offline Find More Posts by OzDruiD
Last edited by OzDruiD; Aug 25, 2010 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Comment abount 2nd You tube video.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2010, 06:27 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Sep 2008
23 Posts
2nd Video - Shows other balance ports and mains lead actions

Ok folks... 2nd YouTube video uploaded showing
1) Voltage differences and testing "all" balance ports (3S, 4S, 5S, 6S) with the 2S Pack
2) Showing the jumping and random voltages that occur when plugging in the different "mains" leads and how it "settles on the correct cell voltages" after plugging in both mains leads.

720HD video mode available for clearer video (HD footage is a much bigger file, if video is "stuttering" - Pause playback for a bit and let it download\buffer).

http://www.youtube.com/v/2631W3SJhak...b8ab6&hd=1
Last edited by OzDruiD; Aug 26, 2010 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Updated YouTube Video link.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 07:55 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Sep 2008
23 Posts
Ok folks... Junsi has kindly offered to look into repairing this unit for me - again just goes to show the strength and dedicate of their after sales service.
Next question, recommended sellers of Junsi Chargers, preferable one in Australia \ Qld?
Naturally, I will accept Junsi's offer ASAP but I want to get another iCharger (3010b) first so that I can continue to fly whilst this 106b+ is away for repair. I plan on keeping 3010b afterwards as well as the repaired 106b+ as it will be great to have a 2nd charger and allow multiple charging at the field for quick turn around.

I notice ProgressiveRC seems to be a favourite in this thread, with solid support and after sales service so good consideration given there, even with the international mail costs- however any others, possibly one in Australia for cheaper delivery costs?
Old Aug 27, 2010, 08:03 AM
learning to crash Heli's
Melbourne
Joined Aug 2007
744 Posts
Aiden at Ark innovations has them.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is offline Find More Posts by Thunder Fighter
Old Aug 27, 2010, 08:26 AM
Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
449 Posts
HK sells them pretty cheap

Cheers
crusey_aus is offline Find More Posts by crusey_aus
Old Aug 27, 2010, 08:33 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
And, if you have a warranty claim, well, the savings evaporate in shipping costs and lost time.
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 27, 2010, 08:33 AM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
I highly recomend EPBuddy. http://epbuddy.com/

Dale is one great person to do business with. Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Aug 27, 2010, 08:38 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
We in the U.S. have at least two fantastic sellers, Progressive and Epbuddy-we don't need no stinkin' Hongy Kongy! (Before anyone jumps me, I AM a platinum member of "You know who.")
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 27, 2010, 08:46 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Sep 2008
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Fighter View Post
Aiden at Ark innovations has them.
//Dennis.
Thanks heaps Dennis. Sent a quick message to them regarding local stock of the 3010b, as that model is currently not listed on their website (all other ichargers are thou) but fingers crossed.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:40 AM
NY
Joined Feb 2007
21 Posts
Just picked up a iCharger 208b. I still use NiMh batteries for tractor pulling. I typically ramp up to 80+ amps in about 6 seconds. I was thinking I might be able to test them using "LiPo Monitor" mode and LogView. Do you think this method would work or would the charger not like the lower voltage?

1) Wire up a balance lead to a 7-cell NiMh pack
2) Set up the charger for monitor mode with LogView connected
3) Put an 80 amp load on the battery
4) Graph away!

I test single cells in other ways but it is cumbersome and this may be an interesting and quick way to see how a pack performs. From the instructions the charger may beep and give warnings for the lower voltage but it may still send out serial data? Thoughts?
dpero is offline Find More Posts by dpero
Old Aug 27, 2010, 01:23 PM
Canada, Quebec, Mercier
Joined Dec 2008
616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzDruiD View Post
Ok folks... just goes to show the strength
of a movie on youtube

Well played
Batch1 is offline Find More Posts by Batch1
Last edited by Batch1; Aug 27, 2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:58 PM
learning to crash Heli's
Melbourne
Joined Aug 2007
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzDruiD View Post
Thanks heaps Dennis. Sent a quick message to them regarding local stock of the 3010b, as that model is currently not listed on their website (all other ichargers are thou) but fingers crossed.
He had them when I was there the other week, sometimes his web site lags a bit behind new stock, but he is getting a new site built now that should help. Aiden is very good to deal with and no issues with you having to send overseas for any warranty issues.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is offline Find More Posts by Thunder Fighter
Old Aug 30, 2010, 07:07 AM
Joined Oct 2009
58 Posts
Thanks to EP Buddy

Just received my clips with bullet plugs from EP Buddy. They sent them free to Austria - Europe! Thanks for the great service.
gerard71 is offline Find More Posts by gerard71
Old Aug 30, 2010, 09:25 PM
Columbus, OH
Joined Dec 2009
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrejock View Post
I highly recomend EPBuddy. http://epbuddy.com/

Dale is one great person to do business with. Tex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfood View Post
We in the U.S. have at least two fantastic sellers, Progressive and Epbuddy-we don't need no stinkin' Hongy Kongy! (Before anyone jumps me, I AM a platinum member of "You know who.")
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerard71 View Post
Just received my clips with bullet plugs from EP Buddy. They sent them free to Austria - Europe! Thanks for the great service.
Thank you guys for your support and comments.

With Junsi's support, we are proud to be a sponsor of this year's E-Jets International Show held at the TORKS field in Grove City, Ohio. We will setup a charge station in the event to let people get first hand experience with iCharger products. We also thank Junsi to provide some iCharger products as awards for this event:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207492

We will also setup a booth there to exhibit and sell iCharger products.

Cheers!
Dale
epbuddy is offline Find More Posts by epbuddy
Site Sponsor
Last edited by epbuddy; Aug 30, 2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:45 AM
Lithuania
Joined May 2009
27 Posts
Problems when doing parallel charging

Hi,

using iC208B and firmware V313f. When I try to balance charge two LiPo batteries in parallel I get one cell overvoltage to ~4.35V... What could be wrong? I have parallel adapter for main leads and using iCharger's balance board for balancing ports connection. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Audrius
audriusv is offline Find More Posts by audriusv