HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2008, 09:08 AM
Croatia, Europe
Joined Aug 2006
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by not.likely
So... it wont work?, it will work?, or it might work ... Hmm now I am really confused.
Didnt work. I also tried swapping TX-RX wires and tried 3 different PCs.
Could be my charger (v 3.01) thats why I said it might work for you.

As I said, I also tried Castlelink and CSM gyro interface.

Wesp
Wespen is offline Find More Posts by Wespen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2008, 09:27 AM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoes
Guys,

I ordered a 106B and obviously there will be the need for firmware upgrade. (Thanks to Junsi for this GREAT support&development!!!)
So what can you guys recommend as a PC connection? I don´t need necessarily a direct USB connection, means a "standard" serial connection and an additional USB to serial converter would do it as well...Anyway...I am not 100% sure what I will need...Maybe somebody could give a hint or two :-)

converter1
converter2
converter3

So which one is the "right" one?

Any recommendations or experiences?
I do have the second device listed on your list of three. I have installed the drivers on Windows XP Pro SP2 and have the device working according to Windows and Hyperteminal. I have yet to upgrade the chargers firmware though as I have not had time. The device contains a FTDI chip which is supported in multiple operating systems and has been verified by Junsi's people for upgrading the firmware.
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:09 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
any support in feature for logview or other similar software?
http://www.logview.info/cms/d_screenshots.phtml

Thank you
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Old Jun 26, 2008, 11:21 AM
Kyalami, South Africa
Joined Jun 2006
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenex
I do have the second device listed on your list of three. I have installed the drivers on Windows XP Pro SP2 and have the device working according to Windows and Hyperteminal. I have yet to upgrade the chargers firmware though as I have not had time. The device contains a FTDI chip which is supported in multiple operating systems and has been verified by Junsi's people for upgrading the firmware.
Phoenex, Please give it a shot, it would be great to have a all in one working solution!

Where did you fit the adpter, could you get it inside the casing?

My replacement has just arrived with 3.04 firmware. I don't need to upgrade it now, but at the rate Junsi is churning out cool features, I am sure I will need to upgrade in the next month or two.
kyalamikid is offline Find More Posts by kyalamikid
Old Jun 26, 2008, 12:28 PM
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,476 Posts
Alex
Is Logview available in English?
Thanks,
Neal
Nobert is offline Find More Posts by Nobert
Old Jun 26, 2008, 12:32 PM
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,476 Posts
Phoenex

I picked up one of these and it works great:
http://store.fundamentallogic.com/ec...products_id=14

Hope this helps,
Neal
Nobert is offline Find More Posts by Nobert
Old Jun 26, 2008, 04:43 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyalamikid
Phoenex, Please give it a shot, it would be great to have a all in one working solution!

Where did you fit the adpter, could you get it inside the casing?

My replacement has just arrived with 3.04 firmware. I don't need to upgrade it now, but at the rate Junsi is churning out cool features, I am sure I will need to upgrade in the next month or two.
I did not attempt to put it into the case. I do not think there is much room inside at all. I will work on the upgrade soon and post the results. I am planning to use a servo wire to connect to the mainboard on the charger with the servo wire connector dangling outside just below the charger plugin wire. I can then just use a servo extension between the servo connector and the TTL device since the servo wire will plug in directly to the TTL device I am using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobert
Phoenex

I picked up one of these and it works great:
http://store.fundamentallogic.com/ec...products_id=14

Hope this helps,
Neal
The one I purchased looks nearly the same, but with a few differences. Looks to be the same chip, just a slightly different version. The output pins are not all located together. Did you have to solder a 5+ volt trace or power it with a seperate 5v source to get it working?
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:21 PM
LKC
must have been a glitch !
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2003
946 Posts
Got my 1010B in the mail last night, looking to have a play around with it tonight.
After reading over the manual It looks pretty straight forward, with lots of setting variables to manipulate.

One thing I am not 100% sure of is.
If I have 2x3S packs that I wire together (by a plug adaptor) and run as a 3S2P pack. I believe I can charge the packs as a 3S packs through my parrallel adaptor, and plug the balancers from eack pack into the associated 3S plugs on the board and it will balance it like it's a 6S pack. Or do I need to charge and balance as the same Cell count ? So it would have to charge and balance as a 6S. This is obviously assuming I use the Balance charge function.. I know it states the charger will monior the packs if the balancer port is used, but is that only monitoring high voltage in any cell, and not actually (discharge) balancing ?

Hope I didn't make that more confusing than it needed to be..lol

I have quite a few packs I wire up in parrallel, so am interested in utilising this feature.

Thanks
Luke
LKC is offline Find More Posts by LKC
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:41 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
** BE CAREFUL **

The multiple 3S balance sockets on the adapter boards are connected in SERIES not parallel. If you have your packs connected in parallel you cannot connect their balance leads to multiple sockets on the balance board.

You either have to make a 3S parallel cable for the balance leads and connect to just one 3S socket on the adapter board and charge as 3S OR connect your packs in series, use the two right-most sockets on the adapter boards and charge as 6S.

When connecting in series be *Very* careful to ensure that the lower pack (ie the one connected to the negative of the main power lead) plugs into the right-hand socket on the balance board and the upper pack (ie the one connected to the positive of the main power lead) plugs into the next socket to the left on the adapter board.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:54 PM
LKC
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2003
946 Posts
Right..
Thanks for the reply..
I understand now how It could get you in trouble..
So bottom line is the Balance board can link seperate packs together in series to be balanced as a single pack, but you must charge it as the same cell count. (and pack sequence on the balance board)
So charge as a 6S and balance as a 6S.

Seems a good sketch could be added to the manual, especially if they are going to provide such a board..

Previously I made an adaptor to do exactly what the board does, and make my 2x3S packs act like a 6S pack. I would balance it seperately with a blinky,like it was a 6S pack and I could charge the packs in parrallel or in series, it wouldn't effect the blinky balancing.

Thanks for the heads up
Glad I asked..
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:59 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Like this perhaps: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1869453
Old Jun 26, 2008, 07:23 PM
England
Joined Apr 2008
244 Posts
Hi kgfly...sorry if I am a pain, but did you get a look at my posts earlier.....following on from your reply. Cheers...off to bed now, as it is late over here
not.likely is offline Find More Posts by not.likely
Old Jun 26, 2008, 08:49 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by not.likely
Many thanks kgfly for your patience and excellent explanation of the answers to my questions. I just would appreciate confirmation now that these statements of my own words is correct

Balance speeds:
1) Balancing actually only happens whilst the charger is in CV mode.
I cannot say for certain but I think balancing will happen whenever the cells are more than 0.??V out of balance. Certainly it will happen as soon as any one cell reaches 4.20V.

Quote:
2)
Quote:
All these settings are really changing is the overall total length of the charge duration and therefore the total amount of charge pumped in. As one of the other criteria required to stop the charge is that all cells must be in an acceptable state of balance anyway, they are not necessarily going to be any better balanced due to having the longer charge from a slow mode setting threshold.
Yes, that is how I see it.

Quote:
Put another way, is this feature not really just similar to ( but I accept, not the same as ) choosing either Storage - Charge - or Fast charge, in non balance mode?

Storage being similar to Fast Balance.

Charge being similar to Normal Balance.

Fast Charge being similar to Fast balance.
No I would not express it that way. Certainly the concept of the current threshold is similar and there is a conceptual similarity bewteen Charge and Normal Balance and Fast Charge and Fast Balance. However Storage mode is very different since it will automatically either charge or discharge as needed to get the pack to the target storage voltage.

According to the manual there is no Ic threshold for Storage nor is balancing active. You might ask for clarification from JunSi on the Storage behaviour when charging or discharging.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 09:08 PM
LKC
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2003
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
Yes, just like that !!
In the manual would be even better..

Thanks for the info..

Luke
Old Jun 26, 2008, 11:44 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Hello

Hello not.likely,
Quote:
But how will the 1010b know if I am discharging or charging, with another charger -I take it from kgfly that I can use another unit to charge my battery, with a parallel harness connecting the main leads to both the 1010b and that other charger - but will this actually work ?
There are low limit voltage set by Users to avoid over discharging and upper limit (4.2v) to avoid over charging. For example, when the charger detect that the voltage is too low, then you can choose charging, If you want to store your battery and the voltage of the battery is not proper for storage, then you choose discharging.

Quote:
"In the monitor mode, you can’t monitor the current just the voltage, so you have to set the correct current during monitor mode."
Sorry I still don’t understand this.
In the monitor mode, the charger can monitor the individual voltage and battery’s temperature; it can’t monitor the current, Which can prevent from over discharging, over charging and temperature over high.

Quote:
So if an over discharged battery was connected and the check time was default ( 1 minute ) it would not accept a charge ? If the battery connected is NOT overly discharged ( as would be normal ) and the charger screen confirms the correct cell count, does the charger not just go straight into charge mode at full current anyway, or does it still trickle it for 1 minute before applying the set current? Why will an overly discharged battery not just accept the normal charge current set by the user? - or is it just again the danger of it identifying the battery as being less cells than it really is.
“So if an over discharged battery was connected and the check time was default ( 1 minute ) it would not accept a charge ?”
Yes, the charger won’t accept a charging process if detects there is an over discharging battery. If the battery connected is NOT overly discharged ( as would be normal ) and the charger screen confirms the correct cell count, then the charger go straight into charge mode.

Quote:
Yes I think I understand the Delta V system, but what do you mean check time? The manual states on page 8 at the top that you can
DISABLE DeltaV testing” to avoid the problem of false detection

( pseudo -DV ? ) but I don’t think it quite means that.
I THINK what it should say is that -DV detection can be DELAYED for up to 30 minutes from the very start of the charge - is that right ?
Yes, you can DISABLE DeltaV testing. The check time is for the first charging these battery which is deeply over discharged or unused for a long term. At the beginning of the charging, there maybe a feint Delta, so the check time can help to avoid feint DeltaV.
Quote:
You misunderstood my question. The sensor is transistor shaped ( curved on one side and flat on the other ). Which side of the sensor is the correct side to be in contact with the surface being measured - the flat side I presume?
Sorry! Actually, you can contact either the surface or the flat side for your convenience.

Quote:
But is it the actual cell numbers which are flashing that are discharging, or the ones that are NOT flashing?
Yes, you are right.

Quote:
So if I select AUTO in the charge program of a nickel battery, does that mean it will automatically start a trickle charge after delta peak detection, but if I chose MANUAL then trickle charge does not happen ? Maybe I have got his wrong.
Actually, the trickle charge has nothing to do with “AUTO” or “Manual”. If you set trickle charge on in the “User set”, then the trickle charge will happen after delta peak detection no matter you choose “AUTO” or “Manual” to charge.

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi