SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 26, 2008, 02:16 AM
Jim H
Memphis
Joined Dec 2004
557 Posts
I'm thinking about getting the iCharger106B. Can someone tell me what type/brand are the balance connectors? All my packs are wired with TP style connectors.

Jim
Fool is offline Find More Posts by Fool
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2008, 02:32 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
The integrated balance sockets are JST-XH style. You will need balance adapter leads for TP-to-JST_XH or an adapter board.

www.rc-tek.com sell a set of TP-to-JST_XH leads for the MaxproX6 charger which would work for the 106B as well.

You can also get some similar leads from HC.

AFAIK the only source for adapter boards for the 106B is http://www.eheli.com.au
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jun 26, 2008, 03:05 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrocopter
Hi
Two 1010B's arrived a few days ago and they already work overtime.

But... they occasionally terminate the charging process with a error message "Connection -> Break Down"
This happen with both charges using different HXT 2200mAh 20C 3S G3 battery packages.
Both of them have firmware 3.04.

Are the problem fixed in 3.05?
Any suggestion what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance
-Frank-

Also posted in thread "iCharger 1010B - a user review"

Hello,
As for the “Bug” of Connection -> Break Down, we now find its cause and settle this problem in version 3.05. Though, we have published the version of 3.05 the day before yesterday, now, we updated the information of Version 3.05.
This Bug occurs when the charging current low and a fluctuating power supply. The charging current adjustment step can’t keep pace with the changeable input voltage, then the current will turn to instant 0 occasionally, which will result in a connection breakdown problem!

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Last edited by junsi; Jun 26, 2008 at 03:32 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 03:55 AM
Marburg/Germany
Joined Jul 2007
59 Posts
Guys,

I ordered a 106B and obviously there will be the need for firmware upgrade. (Thanks to Junsi for this GREAT support&development!!!)
So what can you guys recommend as a PC connection? I don´t need necessarily a direct USB connection, means a "standard" serial connection and an additional USB to serial converter would do it as well...Anyway...I am not 100% sure what I will need...Maybe somebody could give a hint or two :-)

converter1
converter2
converter3

So which one is the "right" one?

Any recommendations or experiences?
ivanhoes is offline Find More Posts by ivanhoes
Old Jun 26, 2008, 04:41 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi
Hello,
As for the “Bug” of Connection -> Break Down, we now find its cause and settle this problem in version 3.05. Though, we have published the version of 3.05 the day before yesterday, now, we updated the information of Version 3.05.
This Bug occurs when the charging current low and a fluctuating power supply. The charging current adjustment step can’t keep pace with the changeable input voltage, then the current will turn to instant 0 occasionally, which will result in a connection breakdown problem!

Regards,
Junsi
Nice to hear it's sorted out!

Finally a manufacturer who admits bugs, and does not leave the user in the dark about the causes and consequences.
We really appreciate this openness.

Ivan: I got this one:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA:IT&ih=010

I will tell how it worked once I recieve my charger.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Jun 26, 2008, 05:15 AM
England
Joined Apr 2008
244 Posts
Many thanks kgfly for your patience and excellent explanation of the answers to my questions. I just would appreciate confirmation now that these statements of my own words is correct

Balance speeds:
1) Balancing actually only happens whilst the charger is in CV mode.

2)
All these settings are really changing is the overall total length of the charge duration and therefore the total amount of charge pumped in. As one of the other criteria required to stop the charge is that all cells must be in an acceptable state of balance anyway, they are not necessarily going to be any better balanced due to having the longer charge from a slow mode setting threshold. Put another way, is this feature not really just similar to ( but I accept, not the same as ) choosing either Storage - Charge - or Fast charge, in non balance mode?

Storage being similar to Fast Balance.

Charge being similar to Normal Balance.

Fast Charge being similar to Fast balance.

3) Firmware updates: Can anyone tell me the actual pin connections I need to make from the HXT key ( three pins which normally connect to the ESC rcvr throttle lead of course ) to the PCB of the charger GND/Tx/Rx on the PCb I can find I guess, but which of these goes to which pin on the USB key ( white- red- and black )

Also, am I right in thinking that I dont need to short out any PCB jumper ins - but instead just hold STOP button whilst powering on to enter upgrade mode ?

Is there still a real danger of goosing the lot whilst attempting upogrades on these later versions

Again, thanks for you help
not.likely is offline Find More Posts by not.likely
Last edited by not.likely; Jun 26, 2008 at 06:07 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 05:57 AM
England
Joined Apr 2008
244 Posts
Junsi - thanks also for your reponse - never before have I seen such commitment froma supplier / manufacturer to customer feedback - truly excellent
Now to your replies.... sorry for not fully understanding all of them

"In the monitor mode, you set the lower limit voltage to protect over discharging".

But how will the 1010b know if I am discharging or charging, with another charger -I take it from kgfly that I can use another unit to charge my battery, with a parallel harness connecting the main leads to both the 1010b and that other charger - but will this actually work ?

It still seems to me that this monitor feature is not that useful ??

"In the monitor mode, you can’t monitor the current just the voltage, so you have to set the correct current during monitor mode."

Sorry I still don’t understand this.

"Yes, you are right. The check time is just for these batteries that had been over discharged. For example, you set 100a/m, check time10 minutes to charge an over discharged battery, which can activate the battery and help the battery recover to normal voltage, then commit to push and hold start. If the battery can’t recover to normal voltage after 10 minutes check time with 100m/A, then the mode will exit and stop".

So if an over discharged battery was connected and the check time was default ( 1 minute ) it would not accept a charge ? If the battery connected is NOT overly discharged ( as would be normal ) and the charger screen confirms the correct cell count, does the charger not just go straight into charge mode at full current anyway, or does it still trickle it for 1 minute before applying the set current? Why will an overly discharged battery not just accept the normal charge current set by the user? - or is it just again the danger of it identifying the battery as being less cells than it really is.

"There is no Delta V check at the beginning of charging process, the DeltaV just functions after check time. For example, you can set check time as 5 minutes."

Yes I think I understand the Delta V system, but what do you mean check time? The manual states on page 8 at the top that you can

DISABLE DeltaV testing” to avoid the problem of false detection

( pseudo -DV ? ) but I don’t think it quite means that.
I THINK what it should say is that -DV detection can be DELAYED for up to 30 minutes from the very start of the charge - is that right ?

"You’d better contact the sensor with battery for purpose of safety".

You misunderstood my question. The sensor is transistor shaped ( curved on one side and flat on the other ). Which side of the sensor is the correct side to be in contact with the surface being measured - the flat side I presume?

"In balance mode, individual cell flashing means there is a discharging operation to some of the cell during balancing".

But is it the actual cell numbers which are flashing that are discharging, or the ones that are NOT flashing?

"The current of an “Auto” trickle is 1/20C of the total current put in during the normal charge cycle."

So if I select AUTO in the charge program of a nickel battery, does that mean it will automatically start a trickle charge after delta peak detection, but if I chose MANUAL then trickle charge does not happen ? Maybe I have got his wrong.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:00 AM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
Hi,

as the HXT USB Connector connects to as servo-cable (GND,5V,Signal), I'm quite sure it will not work for updating the iCharger...

- Oliver
Smeagle is offline Find More Posts by Smeagle
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:13 AM
England
Joined Apr 2008
244 Posts
Sorry guys... just a few from the earlier list, to which i have not got any answers yet.

Post charge trickle. Why can these not be set separately for the different chemistry EG: I agree that a trickle post charge current for NiMH is a bad thing, but might like it for my PB, or NiCds.

Balance “ trickle “ kgfly has kindly answered the question about balance speed, but what is balance trickle ?

What program is supposed to be used to open the “picture / media “ files that are in the latest upgrader ver.11 winzip file ? Mine don’t open with VLC player, yet they are called a VLC file? are these still images or movie files or what ?
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:14 AM
England
Joined Apr 2008
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeagle
Hi,

as the HXT USB Connector connects to as servo-cable (GND,5V,Signal), I'm quite sure it will not work for updating the iCharger...

- Oliver
Ah...thats a bummer - I thought I had the gizmo I needed here and now
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:44 AM
Croatia, Europe
Joined Aug 2006
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeagle
Hi,

- Oliver
Thats true it wont work out of the box. BUT it contains prolific PL-2303 chip which is USB-to-Serial Bridge Controller.
http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/Products.asp?ID=21

Open it up and connect
Pin 1 = TX
Pin 5 = RX
Pin 7 = GND

PL-2303 schematics
http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/f...03HXD_v1.1.pdf

I tried that but no workie. If you have time and patience yours will maybe work.
All I got is Comm error.

Now I ordered another TTL converter from E-bay and this one has FT232BM chip from FTDI.
http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/FT232BM.htm

Wesp
Wespen is offline Find More Posts by Wespen
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:51 AM
England
Joined Apr 2008
244 Posts
So... it wont work?, it will work?, or it might work ... Hmm now I am really confused.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:57 AM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
It will not work as delivered.

I _might_ work if you rewire it.

- Oliver
Old Jun 26, 2008, 07:24 AM
Marburg/Germany
Joined Jul 2007
59 Posts
Smeagle:

Do you know if there is a chance to get a Castle Creations (the chip is named:
c8051f32) USB connector to work for charger upgrading?

Which pins should go where? I have a brown (guess this is GND) a red and an orange one.
ivanhoes is offline Find More Posts by ivanhoes
Old Jun 26, 2008, 07:57 AM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
Hi,

the CastleCreations UBS-Key will not work directly, too. It connects to the CC-ESC via Standard Servo-Connector, just like the HXT part.

- Oliver