SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 24, 2008, 05:43 PM
England
Joined Apr 2008
244 Posts
Ah thanks for that - I see now that it is just a "hole" rather than an actual USB port.
Thing is....do I actually need to do the port mod thingy - what actual differences will I see with any updated firmware, and will it not void my warrantee?
not.likely is offline Find More Posts by not.likely
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2008, 07:01 PM
Gales Ferry, CT
Joined Jun 2008
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
Junsi,

The foam cut mode looks absolutely beautiful in the manual!
Thanks for incorporating it, a huge benefit for the DIY foam enthusiast!

This is a great idea! Can't hardly wait 'til they arrive.
planekrazee is offline Find More Posts by planekrazee
Old Jun 24, 2008, 07:44 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
not.likely - look at the release notes. If you don't need or want the enhancements or bugfixes then you don't need to upgrade. v3.04 was the most recent until yesterday when 3.05 was released. The latest manual and release notes were linked to a few posts back but are also always available via links in the first post in this thread.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jun 24, 2008, 07:45 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
JunSi - The link to download the upgrade software in the first post links to a package that includes the 3.04 images not 3.05. I guess it needs to be updated
Old Jun 25, 2008, 04:15 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
JunSi - The link to download the upgrade software in the first post links to a package that includes the 3.04 images not 3.05. I guess it needs to be updated
Hello Kgfly,
Thanks for your remindness!
I will update it now1

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Jun 25, 2008, 04:44 AM
Marburg/Germany
Joined Jul 2007
59 Posts
Junsi,

do you know if the chargers for HB really will arrive this week? I ordered one last week and the negative stock is rising permanently (which is good for you ;-)
ivanhoes is offline Find More Posts by ivanhoes
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:43 AM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Jan 2008
50 Posts
1010B error mesage "Connection -> Break Down"

Hi
Two 1010B's arrived a few days ago and they already work overtime.

But... they occasionally terminate the charging process with a error message "Connection -> Break Down"
This happen with both charges using different HXT 2200mAh 20C 3S G3 battery packages.
Both of them have firmware 3.04.

Are the problem fixed in 3.05?
Any suggestion what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance
-Frank-

Also posted in thread "iCharger 1010B - a user review"
quadrocopter is offline Find More Posts by quadrocopter
Old Jun 25, 2008, 07:41 AM
England
Joined Apr 2008
244 Posts
some questions of operation again

AMENDED: having now spent 4 hours solidly reading ALL of this thread ( phew ) and playing more with the charger in front of me, I have found some of the answers - but not all ! I will now remove some bits from this post and leave what I still dont undersatnd. Thanks for your patience - apologies again for such a long post
I am not technically very good like some of you other guys , but I am OK. If I should start a new thread - please tell me. I do like the charger, and think the work that you guys have done on this thread is amazing - and I am very impressed with the response from junsi - but want to understand more about it, sorry for being dumb
  1. If the Input jack is limited to 7A - would that not mean for 200watt capability of the charger you would need a 28V input, yet limit is 19V ?
  1. In LiPo monitor mode, I get balance plug voltage error message with some cells showing as 1.2 volts or similar - if I connect the main leads the readings show correctly -I see others have found the same - so why does the manual suggest that batteries may be charged "by other means" and monitored by the 1010 - it is not possible - so what is the point of the feature ??
  1. Does it matter which balance socket I use if for example I only want to monitor the cells of a single 3s battery can I use any of the 3 x sockets on the board or only "D" ?
  1. What does the voltage setting of the cells do in the monitor mode ( 3V to 4.2V )
  1. The manual says “After setting the current and voltage press START/Enter button…..” but surely you don’t set current when only in monitor mode ??
Check Time for Lithium batteries. If active does this actually mean that it will only charge at 100m/a for the set time? If so, and you had set say.... 10 mins, then total charge time for a “flat” pack will be 10 minutes longer than usual. What’s the point ? If its just for correct cell count detection, isn’t that covered anyway by the user confirming at the start before committing to push and hold START.

Balance speed / Trickle. I don’t understand any of this in the manual. Could someone explain in simple terms to a dumbo like me what this is about.

Post charge trickle. Why can these not be set separately for the different chemistry EG: I agree that a trickle post charge current for NiMH is a bad thing, but might like it for my PB, or NiCds.

Nixx check time. How does altering time range ( 0 - 30 min) stop / disable -^V peak ?

When using the temp probe - is it best / necessary to have the flat side of the sensor in contact with the battery…or does it not matter?

Charge Discharge power limit. If set to AUTO, how does the charger adjust its output power according to input capability? How does it KNOW what those limitations are ?? I think I understand this now thanks to you genius' on here - if the input voltage appears to be getting depressed by a large input current demand ( due to high output requirements ) then the charger ( in auto mode ) will reduce the output to stop the input dropping too low - is that right? If so, why not just leave the setting on Auto all the time - when would I NOT want auto ??

When discharging , if you wanted to discharge at say 7A, then presumably you can only do it at that rate on a 4.28V ( or less ) battery due to the max limit of 30watt on the 1010B ?

Why is the default termination voltage of a LiPo set at 4.10 not 4.2V according to the manual page 9. is this a typing error, because the display shows 4.2V on screen.

In balance mode - individual cell levels flash on and off during balancing - I can find no mention in the manual of what this indicates. I presume it is cell balancing activity, but it should explain that - if it is flashing does that mean that particular cell is "active" or "still"

If no safety timer is set, yet a trickle charge is implemented ( in user set up) for nixx etc, will the trickle charge just continue until the unit is disconnected ?

If I reset to default settings ( stop+enter ) will that wipe-out any settings I made in user settings such as trickle charge currents and delay timers etc ?

Is there an “Auto” trickle current setting in place - if so, what current is used and how is that calculated ? - is it a % of the total current put in during the normal charge cycle.

There is mention of a there a transmitter charge feature to “bypass” the diode problem after you guys discussed it -Where is it / what is it called ?

Is the HXT esc key useable for firmware upgrading - it was mentioned earlier in this thread. I use winXP and already have this USB key and the HXT drivers installed.

What program is supposed to be used to open the “picture / media “ files that are in the latest upgrader ver.11 winzip file ? mine don’t open with VLC player, yet thay are called a VLC file?
not.likely is offline Find More Posts by not.likely
Last edited by not.likely; Jun 25, 2008 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Revised questions etc
Old Jun 25, 2008, 04:50 PM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
Hi,

few days ago i bought 106B (little brother of 1010B).

My first problem was that i couldn't set current level to 0.12 A (only .01, .02, .03, .04, .05, .06, .07, .08, .09, .10 and then 0.20). Hope Someday there will be a firmware that would be able to work with full 0.01 range from zero to 10A.

Next one was temp probe problem. I wrote a mail to Junsi with the following:
Quote:
when i want to start charging my nimh pack my icharger display this:
ext. temp over
break down

The same is with or without temp probe. in my room is about 25c.
pressing inc button i,m getting 249c (not f) and 35 for internal.
so i was advised:

Quote:
First, please check the temperature setting in Parameter setting program, you can set as:
Temp. Cut-Off
OFF

Second, the problem may due to the improper joint of U13, you can open the case to see whether it was joint correctly. You can joint it carefully by yourself.
yes, Temp. Cut-Off function working well, but now i have no temp feature.

So i check my U13 and it looks ok, no problem here (Junsi confirmed)

Next step was:
Quote:
Then, would you please check the three foot of J1 socket to see whether there is a short circuit between each other?
And check the 15th feet of the R3 and U10 to see if it was jointed properly?
Here is a J1 socket

and here is a R3 and U10

i think those joints are ok.
What should be the next steps of investigation?

Thank you for support.
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Old Jun 25, 2008, 07:40 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
not.likely - some good questions there. I don't know all the answers but perhaps can help with some of them and we can hope that JunSi will fill in the missing pieces.

Quote:
If the Input jack is limited to 7A - would that not mean for 200watt capability of the charger you would need a 28V input, yet limit is 19V ?
The input jack is indeed limited to 7A (6A on 106B) and is there for convenience for anyone that has an existing power-supply with a suitable connector and rating (eg laptop/lcd supply) but does not support the full output power of the charger. If you need the full power of the charger you must use the input leads and not the input jack.

Quote:
LiPo monitor mode...
This is an unanswered question and we need JunSi to explain. As far as I can tell you need to have a parallel connection to the main power leads for this mode to work. That is, you connect the balance lead to the charger and a parallel adapter to the battery's main power leads. This lets you connect the power leads to the charger (for monitoring) and to the external load or other charger.

Quote:
Does it matter which balance socket I use if for example I only want to monitor the cells of a single 3s battery can I use any of the 3 x sockets on the board or only "D" ?
YES it does matter. You must connect to the most negative socket which is the righthand one on the standard adapter board.

Quote:
Balance speed / Trickle[/u]. I don’t understand any of this in the manual. Could someone explain in simple terms to a dumbo like me what this is about.
LiXx charging takes place in two phases, first Constant Current (CC) and then Constant Voltage (CV). In CV mode the voltage is held constant and the current gradually drops off as the battery charges up. The charge cycle is terminated when several conditions are met, one of which is that the the charge current has fallen below a certain threshold.

The Balance Speed setting adjusts the threshold current at which the charge cycle will be terminated. The higher the threshold, the sooner the cycle will complete so the "faster" the balancing. It is perhaps a misnomer as the balancing action itself happens at the same rate, but the duration of the balancing phase will be reduced. In Fast mode the threshold is Ic/5. That means that when the charge current falls to one-fifth of the configured current and the cells are in balance the cycle will finish. In Normal mode the threshold is Ic/10. So the cycle will continue for longer and a little bit more charge will be pumped into the battery than in Fast mode. The cost is a non-linear increase on overal charge time. Similarly, in Slow mode the threshold is Ic/40 so the charge time will increase very significantly. Note that the difference in state of charge between Fast and Slow is perhaps 5% at most but the difference in time to complete could be hours. Also it is worth noting that LiXx cell last longer if not charged to 100% so Fast mode has several advantages at the cost of a few percent reduction in flight duration.

Quote:
Charge Discharge power limit...the charger (in auto mode) will reduce the output to stop the input dropping too low - is that right? If so, why not just leave the setting on Auto all the time - when would I NOT want auto ?
Yes that is right and I cannot think of a good reason not to use Auto mode so long as you set an appropriate voltage threshold to protect whatever input supply you are using from overload and overheating.

Quote:
When discharging[/u] , if you wanted to discharge at say 7A, then presumably you can only do it at that rate on a 4.28V ( or less ) battery due to the max limit of 30watt on the 1010B ?
Yes. The table at the end of the manual shows the max discharge current for each combination of chemistry and cell count.

Quote:
There is mention of a there a transmitter charge feature to “bypass” the diode problem after you guys discussed it -Where is it / what is it called ?
As far as I know this was simply a bug fix to the NiXx charging algorithm. I used to have a problem with v2.4 but with v2.6 it just works. I have not upgraded to v3.x so cannot say for sure if there are any changes in this behaviour.

Quote:
Is the HXT esc key useable for firmware upgrading - it was mentioned earlier in this thread. I use winXP and already have this USB key and the HXT drivers installed.
It should work but one other user has tried unsuccessfully. I encourage you to try and see if you can get it working, then let us know how
Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:38 PM
Joined Aug 2006
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrocopter
Hi

But... they occasionally terminate the charging process with a error message "Connection -> Break Down"
This happen with both charges using different HXT 2200mAh 20C 3S G3 battery packages.
Both of them have firmware 3.04
Both of my 1010B's do this also. They do it with lipo's & A123 packs. Firmware is 3.04
ukpaul is online now Find More Posts by ukpaul
Old Jun 25, 2008, 09:07 PM
United States, CT, Ledyard
Joined Sep 2003
249 Posts
Hobby City has removed the 106 from thier website. Maybe they want to sell the older 6s charger first or the backorder amount has exceeded the incoming shipment?
skypilot_one is offline Find More Posts by skypilot_one
Old Jun 25, 2008, 09:42 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Hello

Hello,
Thanks for your attetion!
HC has moved our iCharger106B to the second page. We will supply a bulk of 106B to HC this Saturday!

Regards,
Junsi
Last edited by junsi; Jun 25, 2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 09:51 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrocopter
Hi

Both of them have firmware 3.04.

Are the problem fixed in 3.05?
Any suggestion what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance
-Frank-

Also posted in thread "iCharger 1010B - a user review"
Hello,
We are so sorry to hear this!
Could you kindly tell us the charging current you set and the charge voltage?
what is the statement of the adapter when this break down message happen?
and when does the error message occur, at the beginning of the charging process or at the end of the charging process or in the middle?

Thanks,
Junsi
Old Jun 26, 2008, 02:41 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Hello

Hello not.likely,
First thanks to Kgfly!
Quote:
What does the voltage setting of the cells do in the monitor mode ( 3V to 4.2V )
In the monitor mode, you set the lower limit voltage to protect overdischagring.
Quote:
The manual says “After setting the current and voltage press START/Enter button…..” but surely you don’t set current when only in monitor mode ??
In the monitor mode, you can’t monitor the current just the voltage, so you have to set the correct current during monitor mode.
Quote:
Check Time for Lithium batteries. If active does this actually mean that it will only charge at 100m/a for the set time? If so, and you had set say.... 10 mins, then total charge time for a “flat” pack will be 10 minutes longer than usual. What’s the point ? If its just for correct cell count detection, isn’t that covered anyway by the user confirming at the start before committing to push and hold START.
Yes, you are right. The check time is just for these batteries that had been over discharged. For example, you set 100a/m, check time10 minutes to charge an over discharged battery, which can activate the battery and help the battery recover to normal voltage, then commit to push and hold start. If the battery can’t recover to normal voltage after 10 minutes check time with 100m/A, then the mode will exit and stop.

Quote:
Nixx check time. How does altering time range ( 0 - 30 min) stop / disable -^V peak ?
There is no Delta V check at the beginning of charging process, the DeltaV just functions after check time. For example, you can set check time as 5 minutes.

Quote:
When using the temp probe - is it best / necessary to have the flat side of the sensor in contact with the battery…or does it not matter?
You’d better contact the sensor with battery for purpose of safety.

Quote:
Why is the default termination voltage of a LiPo set at 4.10 not 4.2V according to the manual page 9. is this a typing error, because the display shows 4.2V on screen.
Thanks! There is a typing error, I will correct it now.

Quote:
In balance mode - individual cell levels flash on and off during balancing - I can find no mention in the manual of what this indicates. I presume it is cell balancing activity, but it should explain that - if it is flashing does that mean that particular cell is "active" or "still"
In balance mode, individual cell flashing means there is a discharging operation to some of the cell during balancing.

Quote:
If no safety timer is set, yet a trickle charge is implemented ( in user set up) for nixx etc, will the trickle charge just continue until the unit is disconnected ?
Yes,it is!so you have to set a safety time for trickle charging.

Quote:
If I reset to default settings ( stop+enter ) will that wipe-out any settings I made in user settings such as trickle charge currents and delay timers etc ?
Yes, all of the current setting will be wiped out after resetting to default settings.

Quote:
Is there an “Auto” trickle current setting in place - if so, what current is used and how is that calculated ? - is it a % of the total current put in during the normal charge cycle.
The current of an “Auto” trickle is 1/20C of the total current put in during the normal charge cycle.

Regards,
Junsi