HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2010, 01:00 PM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
Tried swapping the balance board of my 106b+ to the 208 and voila, it works. Never heard of a balance board going for a crap after 8 months of use but that seems to be what happened.
Don McGill is offline Find More Posts by Don McGill
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2010, 01:21 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Simple, fact is the contacts used for balancing leads are not designed for hundreds of contact cycles. That is why I use extensions so they can be changed out often.
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Apr 11, 2010, 01:24 PM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Simple, fact is the contacts used for balancing leads are not designed for hundreds of contact cycles. That is why I use extensions so they can be changed out often.
ouch, did not realize that. With this information in mind, is there a cheap place to order bulk jst-xh connectors for 3s-8s lipos?
Don McGill is offline Find More Posts by Don McGill
Old Apr 11, 2010, 01:29 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Cheapest if Hobby King but not sure what all are available . I know they carry some in 5 pakes dirst cheap. Sometimes not the the connector of choice on each end but most often pin / contacts can be moved from one contact housing to another.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:35 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Junsi,
To ensure no misunderstandings your first post detailing specifications for all the chargers should be amended if the 3010B does indeed have logging. e.g. the 3010B as listed there does not have -
  • Any preset memories
  • Intelligent temperature control
  • PC Connect

In fact the only one listed as having these features is the 206B?
Something else is missing - in what price range do you expect the 3010B to be?

George
Hello George,

Thanks for your idea. Yes, maybe the previous listing data make some misunderstandings. Now, I have amended it all clearly.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:57 PM
Joined Oct 2005
57 Posts
Well,

My second 106B+ of the same age is now showing the same balance err message when any one of 8 6S packs are plugged into either one of two choices of balance board or directly into the charger. I went to bed last night having charged 8 packs on the one of the two chargers that was working and arrived at the field today with the second one showing balance err. I can't understand what is letting go at the board level of the charger when I've not been yanking the balance board in and out of the charger at all and given that the receptacle pin outs are showing proper voltage into the receptcle from the battery's balance lead. Furthermore, why have they failed w/in 24 hours of each other????

Comments Junsi???
Dave/Progressive RC, please check your email.

Thanks,
Ben Minor
Dr.Ben is offline Find More Posts by Dr.Ben
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:21 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Ben View Post
Well,

My second 106B+ of the same age is now showing the same balance err message when any one of 8 6S packs are plugged into either one of two choices of balance board or directly into the charger. I went to bed last night having charged 8 packs on the one of the two chargers that was working and arrived at the field today with the second one showing balance err. I can't understand what is letting go at the board level of the charger when I've not been yanking the balance board in and out of the charger at all and given that the receptacle pin outs are showing proper voltage into the receptcle from the battery's balance lead. Furthermore, why have they failed w/in 24 hours of each other????

Comments Junsi???
Dave/Progressive RC, please check your email.

Thanks,
Ben Minor
Hello Ben,

Would you pls connect the balance port and press STOP for 3 seconds to check the voltage, to see if there is difference between the measured voltage? If not the same, pls open the charger, to check if it is burnt in the balance port.

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:32 PM
Joined Oct 2005
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi View Post
Hello Ben,

Would you pls connect the balance port and press STOP for 3 seconds to check the voltage, to see if there is difference between the measured voltage? If not the same, pls open the charger, to check if it is burnt in the balance port.

Regards,
Junsi
Junsi,

Though there is no evidence of a burn, that must be what has occurred. Both chargers show about a 12V voltage disparity between indicated Vo when just the balancing lead is attached and when the main supply lead in plugged in. I may be misunderstanding your request, though.

Even more intriguing is that the charger ceased showing the error, then showed it again, and now has gone back to not showing the error.

Why would this haver happened, and why will it not happen again with the replacement chargers? What can the end user do to prevent recurrence?

BTW, your US dealer Progressive RC/David Gray is providing simply splendid customer service to resolve this issue under warranty. He's a class act.

Thanks,
Ben
Dr.Ben is offline Find More Posts by Dr.Ben
Last edited by Dr.Ben; Apr 12, 2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 09:22 AM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Thanks Ben and sorry for the troubles - we'll get you taken care of and look into the failure mode.

Cheers,
David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:30 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,374 Posts
Factory calibration accuracy?

Hi Junsi,

I was approached by some individuals who had problems with the factory calibration of their chargers.
In one case it was +0.06/-0.04V on some ports.
In german forums, I have read similar reports.
Could you please check, if there is a quality control problem in your calibration lab?

Thanks,

Julian

PS: Soem PMs of people with the same problem reached me. So this does not seem to be an isolated issue. A result can be quite long charge times: When the same battery is charged with different chargers, each charger must balance the imbalance the previous charger caused. So if one charger balances a pack to the values it sees as correct, but which in reality are a little off, then the next charger, with different calibration values, sees the pack as umbalanced, and can spend considerable time balancing the pack to the values it has. Charge on the first charger afterwards, and it continues.
The only help is a more precise factory calibration.
Julez is online now Find More Posts by Julez
Last edited by Julez; Apr 13, 2010 at 04:02 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 04:29 PM
Repubblica Italiana, Piemonte, Torino
Joined Sep 2009
21 Posts
Wow, I read about the new charger 3010B...
but I need a dual 6S charger.....
mikiko is offline Find More Posts by mikiko
Old Apr 12, 2010, 07:07 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
May I ask why mikiko, or what your intended charging needs are? Most who are in the market for a dual port charger are better suited to consider parallel charging, particularly if charging packs of the same cell count, but there certainly are situations where dual port chargers are handy.

- David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2010, 07:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
David is right-parallel charging is as easy, if not easier than using something like the Hyperion Duo: my Duo II sits, gathering dust.
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:17 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Just for chits and giggles.

I was in the giant electrics fourm and heard a fello say: I don't want to go 12s because I only have a 10s charger....

Ben
Ben-Rod is offline Find More Posts by Ben-Rod
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:13 AM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-Rod View Post
Just for chits and giggles.

I was in the giant electrics fourm and heard a fello say: I don't want to go 12s because I only have a 10s charger....

Ben
Did you ask him where he was going to buy his 12S pack?
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732