HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2008, 12:12 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,298 Posts
If I was you, I would check if it has something to do with temperature changes, which also occur during charge.

Also, I would check the pin header connecting the main PCB with the Display PCB for cold solder joints.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2008, 04:38 PM
LKC
must have been a glitch !
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2003
946 Posts
If I just ordered a 1010B charger from United Hobbies.. and I believe it will not have the USB capability, right ?
What version of software can I expect it to come loaded with.. ?

Look forward to checking it out..
Junsi seems to take his customers requests very seriously.. great to see.

Luke
LKC is offline Find More Posts by LKC
Old Jun 18, 2008, 08:12 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
Had my first hiccup with the 106B tonight. The LCD went completely blank right after I started a charge cycle. This was particularly frustrating as I was in the middle of logging comparative performance figures amongst several chargers and really needed to see the volts/amps/mAh figures. I found if I pressed the Inc, Dec or Start key a few times I would get something. Sometimes random characters, sometimes a partial display, sometimes the normal display with a few weird characters or extra dots and sometimes, the normal display. Note that all this time the charge cycle was still running (I know for sure as a had an FDR in line).

I tried pressing a bit on the case to see if there was some issue with the LCD not making proper contact with the PCB but it made no difference.

This unit has been working beautifully for up to several hours a day almost every day since I received it about a month ago. It has never been dropped or otherwise physically abused. I have opened the case twice, once when I first received it to take a peek and once when the info about adding a serial port came along, although I have not yet done so.

At the end of the charge cycle the display came on as normal and so far, has remained on. I have not yet tried another charge cycle (am out of discharged packs for tonight!).

Any thoughts JunSi ?
Hello Kgfly,
The LCD blank and error message shown maybe caused by the capacitance C47 during discharging progress, the C47 may produce disturbance in a discharging progress,how about removing the C47 near a strew on the PCB to settle this problem.

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Jun 18, 2008, 08:18 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKC
If I just ordered a 1010B charger from United Hobbies.. and I believe it will not have the USB capability, right ?
What version of software can I expect it to come loaded with.. ?

Look forward to checking it out..
Junsi seems to take his customers requests very seriously.. great to see.

Luke
Hello,
Thanks for your attention to our iCharger series.
The iCharger 1010B you just ordered is in version 3.04, if you want to upgrade
you charger, you can download its software and upgrading instruction in the first post.

Regards,
Junsi
Old Jun 18, 2008, 08:57 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi
Hello Kgfly,
The LCD blank and error message shown maybe caused by the capacitance C47 during discharging progress, the C47 may produce disturbance in a discharging progress,how about removing the C47 near a strew on the PCB to settle this problem.

Regards,
Junsi
Hi Junsi, thank you for this suggestion I will have to take a look when I get a chance. If this is a known problem what is the long term solution ? Leave C47 off new builds of the PCB ? Use a different value for C47 (what value) ?
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jun 19, 2008, 04:52 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
Hi Junsi, thank you for this suggestion I will have to take a look when I get a chance. If this is a known problem what is the long term solution ? Leave C47 off new builds of the PCB ? Use a different value for C47 (what value) ?
Hello Kgfly,
To get rid of the C47 is the long term solution!

Regadrs,
Junsi
Old Jun 19, 2008, 04:56 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
OK, thanks, I will look into it when I get a chance.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 05:25 AM
Marburg/Germany
Joined Jul 2007
59 Posts
Junsi,

HC has 1010b chargers in stock.

What about the 106b? Itīs quite some time since there out ouf stock...
ivanhoes is offline Find More Posts by ivanhoes
Old Jun 19, 2008, 09:07 AM
LKC
must have been a glitch !
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2003
946 Posts
Quote:
Hello,
Thanks for your attention to our iCharger series.
The iCharger 1010B you just ordered is in version 3.04, if you want to upgrade
you charger, you can download its software and upgrading instruction in the first post.

Regards,
Junsi
Looking at the release notes.. (on post 1)
Isn't Version 3.04 the latest ?
nothing to upgrade yet ?

Luke
LKC is offline Find More Posts by LKC
Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:17 AM
Moselle, France
Joined May 2005
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab66
Hello,

right, that can be a way, but the opposite is also possible !

I mean adapt a good storage program with progressive
reducing of current to reach 3,80v.

And if you have no time, you can press the stop button to break the storage process if the voltage is near 3,9v per LiPo element

best regards

Fabrice

Hello Everybody,

i am back with a new idea for an improvement of the storage fonction.
The idea is to have the 2 process in one.

I mean have a quick storage like now, and if the voltage is reached, ask the user to press enter or stop.
If enter is pressed, the charger go in a process who the current is reduced and so it can reach the right voltage with a lowest current.
If stop is pressed, so you can end the process and start again with a new batterie.

We can say that the question is temporised, the charger will wait 3 minutes, and if no action from user, go automaticaly in the slow storage modus.

I write a 'small' concept on a paper.

Best all,

Fabrice
Fab66 is offline Find More Posts by Fab66
Old Jun 19, 2008, 05:36 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Very nice idea Fab66.

I ran a lot of Storage Discharge cycles over the past few days and it was annoying to have to run three times for each battery, 4.0A, 2.0A and 0.2A.

I think the termination current threshold should be whatever is set for the Balance Speed (Normal = Ic/10, Fast = Ic/5, Slow = Ic/20) which would cater to different user preferences. I would prefer Ic/10 or Ic/5 for my purposes, Ic/20 is seeking to much precision and would take waaaaay too long for my needs.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 05:49 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
I agree - good idea.

I would like to see Fast as default though (Ic/5). Once this completes the charger should emit and audible alarm and then continue to Normal mode (Ic/10) for storage discharge.

So, once storage mode is selected the charger will run until Ic/5 is reached, at which point it provides an alarm, then the charge would simply continue until Ic/10, at which point a second alarm would sound. The battery can be disconnected once the first alarm is reached (Ic/5) or it can be left on until the second alarm is reached (Ic/10).
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2008, 07:06 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Yes, I like your idea David. It is simpler for the user since you don't have relate the settings for one mode (Balance speed) to another.

So the Storage Discharge process becomes:

1) Start at the programmed discharge current (automatically limited by the max discharge power)
2) When Vbatt = Vstorage beep twice and reduce current to Ic/5
3) When Vbatt again = Vstorage beep three times and reduce current to Ic/10
4) When Vbatt again = Vstorage stop and generate the finish tone
Last edited by kgfly; Jun 19, 2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 07:10 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Auto power management works - I proved it :)

This charger rocks

Can I just say that I continue to be impressed as explore more of the feature envelope. I have a bit of a weak PC power-supply as my DC supply at work. I have always had problems with other chargers over 50W as they would pull the supply down and trigger an "input low voltage" alarm. I would then have to fiddle with my selected charge current to find a level that would work. Annoying and different for each size pack.

I just put a 4S A123 pack on to charge at nominally 10A. The iC106B ramped up the current and stopped at 9.1A. It took me a moment to realise what was happening. I checked the input voltage and it was holding steady at 10.05V. This is the "Auto" power management working just beautifully. Soooo cool
Old Jun 19, 2008, 09:33 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Hello Kgfly,
To get rid of the C47 is the long term solution!

Regadrs,
Junsi
Does this issue affects all 106B units currently on the market? I purchase two with 3.01 firmware.
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex