HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:22 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomanie
@junsi:
I believe NCGuy wants a "lipo disposal" mode to completely discharge a already broken lipo to 0V before handing it off the correct facility for proper disposal. Instead of putting a lightbulb on it to discharge it to 0V, he wants to hook it up to the (dis)charger to get it to ~0V.

T
Hello Thomas,
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by NCguy,
Does it make any sense to have a discharge to zero function for lithium or would this risk damage to the charger? To dispose of LIPOS's I prefer to discharge to zero (or very close) rather than saltwater which can corride the tabs before the pack is fully discharged.

I currently use a charger with a discharge function to take it down to around 3 volts per cell and then use bulbs to take it the rest of the way down. It seems like it would be more convenient to have the charger take it to zero in one step? And unfortunately I have to do this a lot more frequently than I would like.

Thoughts?
Hello,
You can use the dicharge program for NiCd/NiHM to discharge your LiPo, then you can discharge the LiPo to 0.1V.

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is online now Find More Posts by junsi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2008, 03:30 AM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
I just take the old cells to the "resource collection point" (no idea if this word exist in English) - they handle this stuff. I called and they told me, no need for any special treatment, just bring them in. This may be different in other countries

- Oliver
Smeagle is offline Find More Posts by Smeagle
Old Jun 17, 2008, 04:58 AM
Gales Ferry, CT
Joined Jun 2008
71 Posts
I would not want full discharge feature on the charger, the storge feature is a good one.
planekrazee is offline Find More Posts by planekrazee
Old Jun 17, 2008, 06:30 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,251 Posts
Hello Junsi,

I have one question concerning the setting of the Watt Limit, manual page 8.
When I sett the watt Limit to "auto", how does this work? Is the charge current reduced, when the input voltage lower limit is reached?

Lets say, I program in 10V minimum voltage, and watt limit "auto".

Then I connect the charger with my power supply, which can deliver 6.5A/13.8V. If I try to draw more current, the voltage will fall. It is short circuit protected.

When I connect the charger to the power supply, and operate it with a high charge current for a large battery, so that it will need more than 6.5A input, how will the charger react?
Will it increase the current, until the supply voltage falls to 10V, and then regulate the curent, so that the supply voltage will never fall below 10V?

Thanks,

Julez
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Jun 17, 2008, 07:57 AM
Gales Ferry, CT
Joined Jun 2008
71 Posts
When is the next shipment of 106b's scheduled? It looks like everyone is sold out.
planekrazee is offline Find More Posts by planekrazee
Old Jun 17, 2008, 09:39 AM
Greensboro/H.Pt/Win-Salem P.T. Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Dec 2003
3,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
Submerging them in a little bucket filled with saltwater is safer and more convenient.
You may want to re-think that Julez.

Recent tests have shown that salt water is so corrosive that it corrodes the tabs before the pack is completely discharged.
NCguy is offline Find More Posts by NCguy
Old Jun 17, 2008, 09:42 AM
Greensboro/H.Pt/Win-Salem P.T. Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Dec 2003
3,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi
Hello Thomas,
Thanks!

Hello,
You can use the dicharge program for NiCd/NiHM to discharge your LiPo, then you can discharge the LiPo to 0.1V.

Regards,
Junsi
Does anyone know if 0.1v is safe enough to discard in the trash? Does it still require further discharge?
NCguy is offline Find More Posts by NCguy
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:35 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguy
You may want to re-think that Julez.

Recent tests have shown that salt water is so corrosive that it corrodes the tabs before the pack is completely discharged.
Well, I must admit that I have never done it before, I just read it at the UH website or forum.
I think they also recommended to puncture each cell with a knife or so before throwing it in the water bucket.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 03:27 PM
Agrate Brianza, MI - Italy
Joined Mar 2007
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
I agree, the exact value is probably not vital.

Are you sure FP EVO 25 recommend 3.4V ? I never discharge my lipos that low, ever ! Before doing that I would seek confirmation from FP directly.
Attached you can find a picture of the label located on the EVO 25 10S 5000mAh, until now I have always used this rule. By phone Flight Power guy told me that 3,8V is also ok.
DeepRising is offline Find More Posts by DeepRising
Old Jun 17, 2008, 03:33 PM
Agrate Brianza, MI - Italy
Joined Mar 2007
13 Posts
Nice news

Quote:
AFAIK, around 3.8V is perfectly ok for all LiPo brands.

A little more or less does not really matter.
Thank you for your suggestion, I have a question: why Flight Power stress the customer to manage element value so low respect 3,8V? I spent several time to redouce the voltage at home.

Attached Evo 20, Evo 25 and Enerland rules.
DeepRising is offline Find More Posts by DeepRising
Old Jun 17, 2008, 03:49 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,251 Posts
Well, I don't really think this is rocket science.
My simplified theory is, the more you are at the max/min levels, the faster the pack ages.
Taking 3.3V as a minimum, and 4.2V as a max, 3.75V is right in the middle.
A little more or less really does not matter.

Cheers,

Julian
Old Jun 17, 2008, 08:39 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Hello Junsi,

I have one question concerning the setting of the Watt Limit, manual page 8.
When I sett the watt Limit to "auto", how does this work? Is the charge current reduced, when the input voltage lower limit is reached?

Lets say, I program in 10V minimum voltage, and watt limit "auto".

Then I connect the charger with my power supply, which can deliver 6.5A/13.8V. If I try to draw more current, the voltage will fall. It is short circuit protected.

When I connect the charger to the power supply, and operate it with a high charge current for a large battery, so that it will need more than 6.5A input, how will the charger react?
Will it increase the current, until the supply voltage falls to 10V, and then regulate the curent, so that the supply voltage will never fall below 10V?

Thanks,

Julez
Hello Julez,
Your understanding is right.
The charge current will reduce when the input voltage lower limit is reached!
the lower limit of input voltage=The set minumum voltage +0.3v
If you set the minumum voltage as 10V, then the lower limit of the input voltage is 10V+0.3V.

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is online now Find More Posts by junsi
Old Jun 18, 2008, 12:42 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,287 Posts
Quote:
My simplified theory is, the more you are at the max/min levels, the faster the pack ages.
I don't think being close to the min level will increase the ageing process. Only problem with going too low is the risk of self discharge below min voltage. I never bother to charge a pack to 3.8V after use.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:27 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,251 Posts
Quote:
I don't think being close to the min level will increase the ageing process.
I am sot too sure.
AFAIK, the electrolyte is stable in a specific voltage window. If you leave this window, the electrolyte is damaged and the cells swell.

Quote:
Only problem with going too low is the risk of self discharge below min voltage.
This may be an additional risk, yes.

Quote:
I never bother to charge a pack to 3.8V after use.
Interestingly, I recently bought a couple of new LiPos, and after discharging to 80%, the resting voltage is arounf 3.75-3.8V. I do not charge them, either.

Junsi:

Thanks a lot for your clear answer!

Cheers,

Julez
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:20 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Had my first hiccup with the 106B tonight. The LCD went completely blank right after I started a charge cycle. This was particularly frustrating as I was in the middle of logging comparative performance figures amongst several chargers and really needed to see the volts/amps/mAh figures. I found if I pressed the Inc, Dec or Start key a few times I would get something. Sometimes random characters, sometimes a partial display, sometimes the normal display with a few weird characters or extra dots and sometimes, the normal display. Note that all this time the charge cycle was still running (I know for sure as a had an FDR in line).

I tried pressing a bit on the case to see if there was some issue with the LCD not making proper contact with the PCB but it made no difference.

This unit has been working beautifully for up to several hours a day almost every day since I received it about a month ago. It has never been dropped or otherwise physically abused. I have opened the case twice, once when I first received it to take a peek and once when the info about adding a serial port came along, although I have not yet done so.

At the end of the charge cycle the display came on as normal and so far, has remained on. I have not yet tried another charge cycle (am out of discharged packs for tonight!).

Any thoughts JunSi ?
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly