USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAngel2000
I have cleaned the pcb and made a last test:
The same result as before.
Balancing still not work.

Sometimes when tried to upgrade, the upgrade software writes following when i press update:
connecting ...
connecting again ..
then came a window with: "connection error 0"
when i press update again:
connecting ..
then came the standard window like always: "Not find device"

Junsi:
I can live with not upgrading the software, but not with a charger which balancing function not working.
What can i do to get that working?

i am so frustrated.
Get a new perfect charger and killed the balance function in 2 days.
While you may have killed the balance function, if the charger is still working o.k. otherwise, you can use a stand alone balancer as a work around.
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2008, 04:57 PM
Gistel, Belgium
Joined Mar 2004
572 Posts
question : when using CHARGE WITHOUT BALANCING, the 106 terminates the proces when lcc/10 is reached ... isn't that too early ? are the lipos full enough ?
guy5927 is offline Find More Posts by guy5927
Old Jun 04, 2008, 07:57 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
I think you will find there is very little capacity difference between terminating at Icc/10 and Icc/20.

There is also the factor that lipos last longer if charged to less than 100%. That is one reason I set the balance mode to Fast and use Fast Charge when not balancing. My packs end up at about 4.17V/cell. I get the same flight time as if I had charged them to 4.20V/cell but my packs should last a lot longer. Plus my packs are ready sooner so I get to fly more often
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jun 04, 2008, 08:45 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAngel2000
I have cleaned the pcb and made a last test:
The same result as before.
Balancing still not work.

Sometimes when tried to upgrade, the upgrade software writes following when i press update:
connecting ...
connecting again ..
then came a window with: "connection error 0"
when i press update again:
connecting ..
then came the standard window like always: "Not find device"

Junsi:
I can live with not upgrading the software, but not with a charger which balancing function not working.
What can i do to get that working?

i am so frustrated.
Get a new perfect charger and killed the balance function in 2 days.
Hello BlueAngel2000,
I had sent you a PM, please check!

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Last edited by junsi; Jun 04, 2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2008, 09:25 AM
Marburg/Germany
Joined Jul 2007
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi
Hello,
Sorry to say that the iCharger with USB are under consideration, It will take times!

Regards,
Junsi
Do you have any idea when? Because I have to buy a new charger and I would like a iCharger.
But I am a bit concerned about soldering. Especially by reading the problems some users have with doing the mod by themself.
So any time window? 1 week 3 weeks 6 months?
ivanhoes is offline Find More Posts by ivanhoes
Old Jun 07, 2008, 12:01 AM
Moselle, France
Joined May 2005
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoes
Do you have any idea when? Because I have to buy a new charger and I would like a iCharger.
But I am a bit concerned about soldering. Especially by reading the problems some users have with doing the mod by themself.
So any time window? 1 week 3 weeks 6 months?
Morning,

an other way for Junsi if it is take time to build in an USB connection, you can also delivery with the next iCharger an interface for the RS232-TTL connexion and found a solution for the connection and connector inside.
Maybe do you have access in the industry to special connector that we have not for the common.

Fabrice
Fab66 is offline Find More Posts by Fab66
Old Jun 07, 2008, 02:38 AM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
Yes,

I think it would be enough to include a way to connect an interface, which could be bought independently. Maybe compatible with one of the USB/TTL interfaces which have been mentioned here (from ESCs etc.).

- Oliver
Smeagle is offline Find More Posts by Smeagle
Old Jun 07, 2008, 03:43 AM
Marburg/Germany
Joined Jul 2007
59 Posts
I totally agree with Fab66 and Smeagle.

There is no need to have a "real" USB Interface in the charger. A serial 232 would do it as well i.e.
Important is only (at least for me) not to solder around at a new charger. So any kind of "out of the box" connection would be highly appreciated.
ivanhoes is offline Find More Posts by ivanhoes
Old Jun 07, 2008, 04:44 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,244 Posts
Yep!

My other chargers have Rs232, and it works like a charm.
Julez is online now Find More Posts by Julez
Old Jun 07, 2008, 05:22 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,284 Posts
Will it be possible to get data out of the TTL RS232 interface now used for upgrading? If so can one expect future versions of firmware that have dataoutput through this one?

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Jun 07, 2008, 10:38 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomanie
Tried swapping TX and RX too, now that we know your adapter board works?

T
I am not sure I fully understand how the connection is to be made between the charger and the TTL interface. Which way should this be connected TX to TX and RX to RX or just the opposite? There seems to be confusion without answers on this question.

I did find this photo which seems to show how it should be hooked up.
Last edited by Phoenex; Jun 08, 2008 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Added info and picture
Old Jun 09, 2008, 03:04 AM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenex
I am not sure I fully understand how the connection is to be made between the charger and the TTL interface.
When you hook up two chips like this, chipA TX should connect to chipB RX, and opposite. chipB should listen (RX) to what chipA says (TX), and opposite. That simple, really.

But...

This starts getting 'interesting' when you have multiple chips chained like the upgrade setup we use here. Add to that some uncertainty as to dongle labeling, and add a dab of picture error, and you can see this wandering off.

To my (non-electronics-head) understanding the picture in the upgrade manual is wrongly labelled. It tells you what pin on the max232 chip each pad should get, not what its function is.
Pin 9 (or 12) on the max232 chip (TX TTL) should go to the pad labeled "TX TTL" (which happens to be the charger internal microcontrollers RX TTL).
Pins 10 (or 11) on the max232 chip (RX TTL) should go to the pad labeled "RX TTL" (which happens to be the charger internal microcontrollers TX TTL).

T
thomanie is online now Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2008, 09:38 AM
Kyalami, South Africa
Joined Jun 2006
1,509 Posts
Well were into next week nd still no chargers at HC... Junsi have you shipped them yet please?
kyalamikid is offline Find More Posts by kyalamikid
Old Jun 09, 2008, 09:39 AM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
thomanie-

Thanks for clearing this up. I will try the upgrade when the USB TTL device shows up and report back. My two 106B's were shipped with version 3.01 of the Firmware. I have had them running testing charge/discharge processes. I am very impressed so far. They are easy to use and quite powerful making them a great value. Once I get parallel, balance charging setup and test it out, I am going to sell off many of my other chargers these will be replacing. Has anyone tested the new ability to charge a Transmitter without diode bypass or is this a feature added to a future update that has not been released yet?
Old Jun 09, 2008, 11:58 AM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,965 Posts
I'm convinced

Just put down a backorder at HC.

Peter
wolw is offline Find More Posts by wolw